HeadRoom SendStation iPod Pocket Dock Line-Out Mini-USB
Dec 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spikey115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not realize this, thanks for the links. The one that I saw was on HeadRoom's website and is the one with mini USB out, your first link. Have you used it? What has been your experience?

Yes, I have used the SendStation white line out (the second link I provided) and I was very happy with it. I really liked the ability to charge the unit while still being able to listen to it. Good luck.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 29
I am using the mini usb version with the Iphone 3G and works fine.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spikey115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Total BitHead amp that I use with my new HD-595's with high quality AAC files from an iPod nano as source. I was wondering if HeadRoom's SendStation iPod Pocket Dock Line-Out Mini-USB would improve the quality of the iPod output enough to warrant the investment. Has anybody tried this dock with HeadRoom amps? What has been your experience?

The Sendstation (a German company that sells through Headroom) is a great purchase. Once I used it, I then realized just how crappy the volume attenuator on my iPod really was. It literally muddied things so much that many small details couldn't even be heard. For $30, probably the best bang for your buck improvement you can get.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 29
I wholeheartedly agree with the Macedonian Hero ... I mean come on, who can argue with a hero.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukeu666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a little confused
Can the USB out on this connect to a dac?

It only bypasses the iPod's amp, not the DAC. You have to look to Wadia 170i or the Onkyo ND S-1 to bypass the internal DAC and connect to an outboard DAC.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukeu666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a little confused
Can the USB out on this connect to a dac?

No, the USB out on the SendStation PocketDock is meant to connect to a computer for syncing purposes. Unless you have a Wadia iTransport or something similar, iPods have no direct digital out. However, the SendStation PocketDock has a line out jack that bypasses the iPod's internal headphone out circuitry and provides a cleaner signal to an external headphone amplifier, using the line out signal from the iPod's internal DAC chip (which has less distortion and noise than it's headphone out). Hope this helps clear things up.

--Eric

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #24 of 29
The audio jack is the only way to get audio into the amp using the Sendstation adapter. The usb jack on the SendStation is only for syncing and charging the ipod.

--Eric

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #27 of 29
I got the black one with the Mini USB about two weeks ago.  While I haven't been able to do a proper A/B test between Sendstation and without, I am having problems with the connector.  I have to constantly wiggle it, to get it to work.  Both sound and charging can get interrupted with the slightest move.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #28 of 29
They sound and work great! I've been using a FireWire one for a couple years.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
I got the black one with the Mini USB about two weeks ago.  While I haven't been able to do a proper A/B test between Sendstation and without, I am having problems with the connector.  I have to constantly wiggle it, to get it to work.  Both sound and charging can get interrupted with the slightest move.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I had the same problem with mine, after a few months of use.  I ended up replacing it with the thicker white regular usb one and while it has some issues with some of my miniplugs not wanting to fit properly, it seems to be more durable.  I still miss my old HeadRoom iPod line out adapter that sadly wasn't compatible with the newer iPods.  It sounded much better than the Sendstations and lasted at least a year, and would have never broken had I not tried to mod it to work with my newer iPods.  Unfortunately they are no longer in production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back