Headphones with low outside isolation (optional) and almost no leakage?? 350$ budget
Jul 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:
Unfortunately I have no other way of saying it- the dt770 are rubbish. Full stop.

I'll listen to the track by 'the glitch mob' soon, although youtube really compress their audio even on hd content. It's probably at 128kbps max which isn't very good to be honest...

Yeah I had to listen on spotify instead because the audio quality on that youtube video was somewhat poor.

What don't you like about the 770s? Unless you have an extreme distaste for 8-10k spikes then I see no way anyone could call the 770s rubbish. I could see how someone would prefer the Denons... but rubbish? That's a silly thing to say.

And in all fairness I think we should point out the pleather pads of the Denons mean sweaty ears are a very real possibility, especially if he's going to be gaming for multiple hours.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #47 of 55
ps. I only really use closed headphones. 

If the dt770 pro 80 are about the only headphone one has every really used then calling them rubbish isn't justified, true.

But when compared with so much of the other stuff out there, it truly is a fail. Now wait, exactly which version of these dt770's am I talking about.Beyer's naming of these headphones is nearly as bad as their sound quality. A new type pops out randomly and it's not like they let everyone know about it. Here are the ones I had:
- dt770 pro 80. Early 2010 in uk selling on amazon
- dt770 600ohm edition. Early 2011 in the uk from iheadphones/other stores. These have the bass holes and are radically different from previous/future versions of this same headphone. Disgusting sound.

I contacted beyer about the pro80 and they told me I was misinformed. These are not made to listen to music with and as it says on the documentation are meant only for studios for specific bass monitoring, hence the enchanced bass response.
They have an incredibly recessed midrange. Completely shocking in all and every respect. To me this is a gigantic flaw which is about as anti-audiophile you can get if there were such a thing. Remember, most of the sound in music is contained in the midrange.The bose ae2 I found to sound better than this dt770 pro 80 (the beats pro and co somehow manage to sound slightly worse). This beyer, along with the senn hd25 are the only headphones I ever dare compare to the beats and the bose which is a testiment to how bad sounding they are- all are real dissapointments. 

It's not just the very very recessed midrange that these beyers house. The dt770 compound this with very tinny, screetching and metallic highs along with a completely out of place thumping bassline with a bumped up midbass.
I don't need to say more about this headphone. It's the worst sounding over ear headphone I've come across and that's that. (Actually the beyer t5p gave it a run for it's money here but I reckon that my unit must have been defective. No way can a £800 sound that bad. No way)

If something sounds great out of this beyer it's actually the music that sounds good not the headphone. A bit like apple i buds used by the 100's millions around the world. They're not looking for the headphones to enhance their listening experience- only the music is relevant there. 

You may like the dt770 and I've no problem with that. But I can't be challenged when I say that I think they are the worst sounding over ear headphones I've come across. Because that's a fact. That's what my experience has taught me. Look at my profile to see exactly what I've heard as that IS my experience.

''And in all fairness I think we should point out the pleather pads of the Denons mean sweaty ears are a very real possibility, especially if he's going to be gaming for multiple hours.''

These are the least sweat inducing pleather pads I've come across to date. Sweat isn't a problem and from reading about them it isn't a problem for most other denon users. When I switch to leather pads from say mark lawton or ultrason ed8, I notice only a small difference in how they deal with sweat compared to the stock denon pads. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #48 of 55
Ha,i guess me and DontScareMe are on the same wave. Only thing i've to do now is to get the Denon AH-D5000,i trust this man. I really,REALLY hate the 770s. I guess that's what people mean with "subjective" view of headphones.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #49 of 55
@Galex

Same wavelength indeed!

The d5k should be at a good price if your somewhere in the states. In europe they're harder to find now, since they have been discontinued two months ago. Just buy from amazon if possible as these guys have the best afterservice so if anything were to go wrong inside (even outside) of warranty they'll help you out moreso than others.

I've always been reluctant to make someone spend $100's of dollars on anything, so I always advise as more experienced headfiers would say- 'make sure your purchase is right for you.'

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #50 of 55
@CantScareMe

The only 770 that has a "bass hole" is the 770M. This is the one you're thinking of when you say they told you it isn't for music listening. They were right as its for drum monitoring. Why you bought it is a mystery to me. There is no 600 ohm 770 with a "bass hole" (the 770M is 80 ohm) so obviously the 770/Pro/80 that you had was actually the 770M and you're basing your hatred of the 770/Pro/80 on that.

My 770/Premium/600 has only slightly recessed mids. Everyone I've ever talked to who had the 600 ohm or even 250 ohm version of the 770 has said they have slightly recessed mids. I've never heard anyone say they have very, very recessed mids (until now) and none of the measurements show that to be the case. But measurements don't matter right? Listening to the cans is what matters. I've had two 770/Premium/600's and neither had very, very recessed mids nor did they have tinny or metallic highs. The highs are spiked, definitely, but are accurate.

I appreciate the fact that you've tried many headphones and you make a good point... as I try more and more closed cans my feelings on the 770s will probably be somewhat negatively affected. But I've already tried a lot of cans and I still love the 770s and consider them an awesome headphone for $200 or even $300. They are also some of the most comfortable headphones ever made. If you don't think sweaty ears is a problem for Denon users just search the forums, there are plenty of examples. I've heard complaints from several people just in the last few weeks.

My opinion of the 770 might change in the future relative to other cans but I'll never feel the way you do about them, that's for sure.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #51 of 55
wow in america they're at 699 on amazon with a 37% DISCOUNT that puts them at 430!!!!!! That's insane!!!! I hate amazon.com!!! Why can't we europeans get all these discounts :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:
@CantScareMe

The only 770 that has a "bass hole" is the 770M. This is the one you're thinking of when you say they told you it isn't for music listening. They were right as its for drum monitoring. Why you bought it is a mystery to me. There is no 600 ohm 770 with a "bass hole" (the 770M is 80 ohm) so obviously the 770/Pro/80 that you had was actually the 770M and you're basing your hatred of the 770/Pro/80 on that.

My 770/Premium/600 has only slightly recessed mids. Everyone I've ever talked to who had the 600 ohm or even 250 ohm version of the 770 has said they have slightly recessed mids. I've never heard anyone say they have very, very recessed mids (until now) and none of the measurements show that to be the case. But measurements don't matter right? Listening to the cans is what matters. I've had two 770/Premium/600's and neither had very, very recessed mids nor did they have tinny or metallic highs. The highs are spiked, definitely, but are accurate.

I appreciate the fact that you've tried many headphones and you make a good point... as I try more and more closed cans my feelings on the 770s will probably be somewhat negatively affected. But I've already tried a lot of cans and I still love the 770s and consider them an awesome headphone for $200 or even $300. They are also some of the most comfortable headphones ever made. If you don't think sweaty ears is a problem for Denon users just search the forums, there are plenty of examples. I've heard complaints from several people just in the last few weeks.

My opinion of the 770 might change in the future relative to other cans but I'll never feel the way you do about them, that's for sure.

Hey, I know What i'm talking about.
I've spent easily over £10k on 150 pieces of audio equipment (probably 80 headphones or so). When I say I purchased, lived with, evaluated, sold and now am talking about the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80, please believe me, It is the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80. That's the first time I've ever read someone pose a question like that. You've got some nerve mate to come up with something like that. 

Please search for official beyerdynamic dt770 pro80 literature (and search for dt770M literature too) In it you would see them talking about it having an op purpose enchanced bass response as required by studios that demand such a headphone. For music listening they recommend the edition headphone range and it is here the main problem lies. The dt770 600ohm in 2011 has physical holes drilled in side of the cups, made to enchance their bass response. They sound ugly because of this. Again, google/headfi is where you should look at. I have no need to waste more time to proove anything to you. I'm a dimwit, a dodo and a silly lost cause. Thankyou very much.

By the way. The pads on the d7000 and the d2000, d5000 are actually of different composition. This can easily be seen when you take them off and interchange them and notice the huge huge change in sound.The d7k I believe now is a form of real leather and sweat is barely a problem with these. Maybe for thos living in hot countries with summer temperatured of 50 celcius it is a problem- but what won't be in them situations..

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:
Hey, I know What i'm talking about.
I've spent easily over £10k on 150 pieces of audio equipment (probably 80 headphones or so). When I say I purchased, lived with, evaluated, sold and now am talking about the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80, please believe me, It is the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80. That's the first time I've ever read someone pose a question like that. You've got some nerve mate to come up with something like that. 

Please search for official beyerdynamic dt770 pro80 literature (and search for dt770M literature too) In it you would see them talking about it having an op purpose enchanced bass response as required by studios that demand such a headphone. For music listening they recommend the edition headphone range and it is here the main problem lies. The dt770 600ohm in 2011 has physical holes drilled in side of the cups, made to enchance their bass response. They sound ugly because of this. Again, google/headfi is where you should look at. I have no need to waste more time to proove anything to you. I'm a dimwit, a dodo and a silly lost cause. Thankyou very much.

By the way. The pads on the d7000 and the d2000, d5000 are actually of different composition. This can easily be seen when you take them off and interchange them and notice the huge huge change in sound.The d7k I believe now is a form of real leather and sweat is barely a problem with these. Maybe for thos living in hot countries with summer temperatured of 50 celcius it is a problem- but what won't be in them situations..

Damnnnnnn someone got burnnnnnneeeeeeed LOL

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #54 of 55
@CantScareMe:

You're right, there are holes in the 600 ohm. Mine have the holes as well, small ones behind the yoke hinge. I thought you were referring to the bass holes in the DT770M. My apologies on that. I didn't mean to be a such a dickhole about it. I still find your assessment of the 770s far too critical. If they were as bad as you say they are there wouldn't be hundreds of audiophiles that like them as much as they do. Sure there are a lot who don't have much experience with other closed cans but there an equal amount that do and while they might not be everyone's favorite I've never heard a critique even close to as negative as yours. But to each his own. Mine are awesome and sound great with pretty much anything. The slightly recessed mids make vocals slightly less forward than other cans like my HD600s but there's nothing missing from the sound and the sub-bass extension is the best of any headphones I've heard. And I agree, the 770/Pro/80 is a basshead can. Anyone but a basshead wouldn't likely be very happy with them.

The sweaty ears complaints I hear are most often regarding the D2000.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #55 of 55
Out of all the 'audiophile' cans I've had they are the worst over ear ones. The bose ae2 are in no standard audiophile, yet these best the dt770 as they have a much more BALANCED sound signiture.  They may be more 'muddy,' yet they play music better as their soundstage isn't filled with mainly highs and lows. It's got a fair amount of mids too, making it listenable at lower volumes. Of course if you pump up the volume of the dt770 the mids will come out but then the bass becomes way way too loud, hence giving the impression that this headphone is a complete bass monster with awesome low end extension. It's got clean bass that extends low, very true, but my thoughts are that because of people increasing the volume to bring out the midrange, one is hearing a bass response that is overly powerful. The highs get overpowerful with increasing the volume too (obviously), although they aren't that sharp. Tinny. boxy, thin and metallic is how I thought of their high range.  And about details- no, because of the immensly recessed midrange it isn't a detail beast by any stretch of the imagination. Actually the only dt770 to get real honest decent reviews from headfiers was the dt770 600 when the bass was light (pre 2010 model).

There's enough people that have had more closed cans and have thought in similar ways about this headphone. But they don't go onto the dt770 threads and trash talk it, as it's priced at £140ish and so don't deserve it. Plus there's plenty of far more expensive headphones that perform shokingly as well. The £800 beyer t5p. Or, if were talking about the demo unit I heard at londons harrods the other day, the £1200 ultrasone edition 8 (my one sounds very unlike this one. Driver variation to blame). These headphones along with others get a fair share of overwhelmingly negative reviews.

Anyway, I hope galex finds his right headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back