Headphones under $350(must be good for every genre(atleast most)
Jul 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 21
This is actually pretty good advice. When you get to headphones that are $200+, it's hard to justify the price if you're going to use them unamped (most headphones that price are meant to be used with an amp).

The AD700 has really great soundstage and detail that works very well for orchestral and vocal pieces. It's a really good option for an open can, unamped, and goes for about $90 shipped.

It's nice to also have a closed can that'll give you good bass, as well as some isolation when you need it. The Audio Technica M50 or the Shure SRH750 DJ are good options in the $100-$150 price range.

This setup helps keep you underbudget, and gives you the versatility of both closed and open headphones for whichever you need. Two headphones isn't so hard to manage, is it?

Quote:
Another option would be to get 2 headphones in the 100-150 range that emphasize or do better with different parts of the spectrum. The 350 range is a bit of a grey area because many of the 'phones in that category need amps to sound their best(which puts you well over your 350 budget). of course there are exceptions, but the exceptions are rarely good for all genres, and lets face it, your music tastes cover pretty much everything.

if you want to consider the 2 headphones in the 100-150 range option. I would look into open backed cans (large sound stage as you requested) perhaps the sennheiser hd238's and the audio-technica ad700's would be a good one-two combination. The 238's are good for bass heavy music and the ad700's for pretty much everything else (VERY large sound stage).

There are some good suggestions listed above as well, however I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in with a completley different scenario just to get you thinking :wink:

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
 AH-D2000

Responds very well to modding, and easy/quick to mod(markl not necessary) if you should find the bass is a bit overwhelming and bloated.
One of my all time favs, and I've owned CD3k, HD650, DX1k. There is something so much more real sounding to a cellulose cone driver than a flimsy thin plastic driver.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #20 of 21
x10

Quote:
AD700 for about $90 shipped...
Audio Technica M50 or the Shure SRH750 DJ are good options in the $100-$150 price range...
This setup gives you the versatility of both closed and open headphones for whichever you need.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 21
here's a couple of suggestions - as someone suggested try two cans such as the pioneer se-a1000, which has a large soundstage, can do a variety of genres, and can be easily driven without an amp, and/or then add a grado of some sort, eg. alessandro ms1 or ms2, grado 225 or hf-1 (though grados will give a smaller soundstage, unless you do one with bagel pads. hmmm, mebbe you should build/buy yerself an ms1000: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/323271/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warning).
the other oft overlooked phone, which is absolutely killer and in many ways is unsurpassed for sonic purity and beauty at anywhere near it's price range (and includes it's own amp), is the fabulous stax sr-001mk2. it's one of the very few products i've rarely if ever seen any one knock on sonic grounds, though some folks don't like to stick anything in their ears.
(obvious) note: yer budget will clearly be impacted by buying new vs used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back