Headphones to compliment my HD598's (ie make up for lack of bass)
Dec 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eifersucht

New Head-Fier
I love my Sennheiser 598's but I feel for certain types of music they are lacking in bass.  I'm looking for headphones that would go well as a contrast to these headphones, with a budget of up to $300 but not a hard limit.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Depends - "more bass" is kind of vague, there's a number of options that come to mind, but none will just be "more bass" - generally you'll either be talking more forward/aggressive, or darker/more recessed depending on what you choose. There's also the open/closed question (there are few "bassy" open headphones though), and comfort/style/etc concerns (if any).

Generically, to give you some options (all of which will satisfy "more bass"):

- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
- Bose AE2 and QC15
- B&W P5
- Denon AH-D1100 and D2000
- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Ultrasone HFI-2400 and PRO2900

There's a lot of difference between the cans on this list, so it really depends on what you want, what pleases you, etc. This list isn't meant to be exhaustive either.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm looking to avoid piercing highs as I find that very fatiguing.  Sometimes, depending on the music, the HD598's can be too bright (is that the right way to describe?).  So I'd like some heavy bass, probably closed headphones, and not so piercing on the highs.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm looking to avoid piercing highs as I find that very fatiguing.  Sometimes, depending on the music, the HD598's can be too bright (is that the right way to describe?).  So I'd like some heavy bass, probably closed headphones, and not so piercing on the highs.

Bose AE2. Very smooth and non-fatiguing highs, good bass extension and impact; very easy to listen to with anything. The ATH-ESW9A will be more musical (but have a lesser soundstage), and also have a fairly smooth and rolled-off top end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back