Headphones or IEMs with VERY forward midrange
Nov 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

audiophile6500

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones or IEMS that have a VERY forward and outgoing midrange that justs rips through your ears. It has to sound good for acoustics too. I listen to the Piano Guys a lot, and I really love Carol of the Bells.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 19
An EQ would do some good.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 19
The PS1000s have a V-shaped frequency response, so rather the opposite. You would probably enjoy the Audio Technica range. They are very mid-foward. They just updated the AD2000s to the AD2000X, which is their flagship open headphone. A pair of the limited edition W3000s might do it too, if you have a wider rather than narrower head, due to their slightly weird fit. Pair them with a hybrid/tube amp for best results.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 19
Okay guys, one of my extreme audiophile friends purchased an Audio Technica W3000ANV and even let me listen to them for a bit. I immediatly fell in love with them. They were like my dream headphones. I guess I didn't really need headphones with very forward mids, but instead thick and meaty ones. I went ahead and purchased another brand new pair from the same friend, and once they get a couple days of burn in, I will try to post more thoughts of them.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 19
Grado's are usually known for their particular "flavor" so to speak, which involves a sound signature very unlike those of other popular headphones. As far as my personal opinion goes, they seemed to me much more foward than my admittedly laid-back HD595s.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Okay guys, one of my extreme audiophile friends purchased an Audio Technica W3000ANV and even let me listen to them for a bit. I immediatly fell in love with them. They were like my dream headphones. I guess I didn't really need headphones with very forward mids, but instead thick and meaty ones. I went ahead and purchased another brand new pair from the same friend, and once they get a couple days of burn in, I will try to post more thoughts of them.

That was a lucky score for you. I had suspected you needed headphones which were more forward in certain areas that most 'phones are, which is how the W3000s are. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back