Headphones good for electronica/dubstep/alt rock/pop at the 250~ range..
Mar 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EndlessMike

Head-Fier
What are some great headphones for electronica/house/dubstep and also alt rock/pop/etc at the 250~..

I currently have the AD700s and while they have an amazing soundstage they are heavily lacking in bass which makes listening to electronica/etc suck..

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 8
You might consider some of the offerings from Denon.  I loved my D5000's so much I ended up buying the D7000's as well.  The Denon's are known around here as a very "fun" headphone with very prominent low and low-mid bass.  The D2000's are more near your price range but are supposed to have the same kind of Denon sound as the rest of the line.  Also, if you like tweaking there are some fun tutorials for fine tuning your set.

Another set of closed cans that are supposed to have serious bass are the Beyerdynamic DT770's, I have the 880's which are an open model and have very nice bass as well, but are more analytical and forward than my Denons.

With a closed headphone like the D2000 or DT770 you will probably lose some of the soundstage size, but you gain back a very detailed, up close presentation that can be very enjoyable.  Like I said, I haven't personally heard the D2000's, but if they are anything close the 5 or 7, then you should be pretty happy.

I hope that helps.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 8
If you could find a used Ultrasone Pro 900 that would be great for those genres.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 8
The ultrasone HFi-780 is another choice, I listen to alot of eletronics music dubstep and DnB. And these will give you the bass your looking for if you want your head to explode. They take a while to be burned in. I dont know about alt rock or pop since I dont listen to those types of music.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
The ultrasone HFi-780 is another choice, I listen to alot of eletronics music dubstep and DnB. And these will give you the bass your looking for if you want your head to explode. They take a while to be burned in. I dont know about alt rock or pop since I dont listen to those types of music.

I really like mine for electronic music, all synthesized sounds are really well done. However, I don't like the texturing for guitars that much, they don't seem to have enough sizzle or depth to do guitars really well.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Ultrasone is one of the few major brands that I haven't heard yet, but have been intrigued by the reports of "head rattling" bass.  I personally have found their product line to be a bit confusing, many models and not much clear info on the major differences, maybe I'm just a dum-dum.

The 580 and 780 seem pretty popular portables here, and I probably wouldn't look so silly on the train with my D5000's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back