Headphones for Studio Use
Sep 15, 2010 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nestor

100+ Head-Fier
I told myself I'd never come back here, but here I am again for advice, ready to drop more of my hard-earned cash on cans I don't really need.

So, here's the situation - I'm currently enrolled in a course in radio production, which involves an internship at the college's radio station.  The instructor wants everyone to have a pair of studio monitors for use with the soundboards.  He's suggesting Sennheiser HD202's.  Problem is, I already have a pair of HD202's...and I hate them.  Truly.  And so, I figure, instead of suffering through using the HD202's, why not buy something a little bit nicer, and just keep using it after the semester is over?

The headphones are intended primarily for studio use, and MUST be around-ear (circumaural) headphones.  The lower the impedance, the better, as I plan to use these with my iPod Classic on my off-days.  I've never needed legitimate studio monitors before, so I'm not entirely sure what I need, but I'm guessing top priority goes to the accuracy of the drivers.

I'm currently looking at Sony MDR-V6's and Sennheiser HD280's, maybe M-Audio Q-40's, but am perfectly open to any and all suggestions.  Price range is $100 and under (I'm still a student, after all).

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Anyone else care to input on this?  Just want to make sure I get the best I can for the money.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 6
do you need the headphones to be neutral?  balanced sounding?  the M50 are very good headphones but they are pretty bass heavy so they are not the best choice for monitoring or other studio work.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
do you need the headphones to be neutral?  balanced sounding?  the M50 are very good headphones but they are pretty bass heavy so they are not the best choice for monitoring or other studio work.

As I said, I need them above all else to be studio monitors.  Down the road, they'll turn into cans for personal use, but for now I really just need something under $100 that's comfortable, and more importantly accurate.

As far as personal preference goes, I'm big on rock of all kinds.  The Foo Fighters, Muse, and The Who are three of my favorites, but really, I'll listen to darn near anything.  In the end, I suppose, if I could find something that strikes a balance between being completely neutral, and being designed for rock, that would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back