Headphones for studio, for about 100$. NEED HELP!!!
Mar 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
For the moment I'm thinking of buying V6's more than k240's because of the shipping price...I'm from Eastern Europe and the shipping is killing me. So V6>k240s>m50>shure 440, something like that?? I've read a review of head-fi about the V6 but the conclusion was not so cheering. Still, taking the price in consideration, they're the best option so far.

I think it's more likely this

k240 ~= m50 ~= srh440 > MDR-v6

The "~=" means that they too close to make a subjective conclusion. It's personal preference at that point.
And, the MDR-V6 are good (FWIR), but just not as good as the other three.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #17 of 31
I've found the AKG K240S at 130$ shipping included, for now I think it's the best choice. I can't afford the mkII's and the V6 are indeed in a different plane than k240s. I hope they'll be worth the money. 

Thanks for your help!!!

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #18 of 31
you made a fine choice, excellent model to start with, I still use it very frequently

MKII is exactly the same, other colour, extra pads, but identical headphone soundwise.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 31
Suggestion for you: Calm yourself down. We're talking about headphones. Learn to be civil and you might actually make a contribution to this site.

Quote:
What?!? ATH-M50 has too much bass(well maybe for some)?!? Than how in the world will you bring up MDR-V6 if ATh-M50 is too much bass(V6 has related bass)? You have got to be kidding me...

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 31

FWIR a mega selling Boston album from the '70's was mixed with the old k240's. Probably the 'M' or the DF. So this notion that you should only mix on speakers is probably not the final word. I think sufjan stevens was also mentioned as using the 240 though I may be mistaken.
Quote:
Congratulations, I can think of at least one musician who has used the K240S to completely mix/master his album and it came out wonderful.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 31
X 2 ha ha... yeah, might be a good idea to allow for differences of opinion and perception.
Quote:
Suggestion for you: Calm yourself down. We're talking about headphones. Learn to be civil and you might actually make a contribution to this site.

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 31

Quote:

lol It was yesterday night that I posted. Got em confused with the Sony XB's.
Oh yea.. im dozzy right now so imma go to sleep before I say somthing off again lol.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
FWIR a mega selling Boston album from the '70's was mixed with the old k240's. Probably the 'M' or the DF. So this notion that you should only mix on speakers is probably not the final word. I think sufjan stevens was also mentioned as using the 240 though I may be mistaken.

Indeed, Sufjan was whom I was referencing. The album was Michigan and was recorded solely using two SM57s and some (I believe) AKG mic, all recorded one track at a time by him eyeballing to line up the tracks. He also recorded at 16bit 32k quality, then mixed entirely with the k240!

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #26 of 31
Hey, thanks for that info. Proves again that talent trumps gear every time. Someone like Sufjan Stevens gives me hope for some sanity in this totally gear obsessed culture we live in. My favorite song of the past few years was mixed with hd280's. the guy was away from his home studio and that's all he had with him. Interesting thread on gearslutz.com about Mr. Stevens recording and mixing techniques: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/375866-tape-op-article-sufjan-stevens-greatest-engineer-ever.html.

Quote:

Indeed, Sufjan was whom I was referencing. The album was Michigan and was recorded solely using two SM57s and some (I believe) AKG mic, all recorded one track at a time by him eyeballing to line up the tracks. He also recorded at 16bit 32k quality, then mixed entirely with the k240!

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 31
I think the other mic he used was an akg c1000, not a very highly regarded or expensive one FWIR

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 31
Indeed. I'll post the link from the magazine article for you to read when I find it. It's an interview from him explaining what he used/etc.

Edit: http://www.thebuddyproject.com/news/sufjan_tapeop_0309/sufjan_tapeop0309_1.html

There you go! 

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #29 of 31

Thanks much! Here's some more guerrilla recording techniques from pre 1964 from a former Motown engineer:
Quote:
Until mid-1964, the master multitrack tapes were 3 track tapes. Track 1 had the rhythm instruments (drums, bass guitar, and piano). Track 2 had the "Sweetening" instruments (strings & horns). Track 3 had the vocals. The multitrack master was mixed down to a mono master tape.

When the engineer wanted to make an instrument louder or fuller, he reached to the equalizer, because the instruments were recorded onto one track. The engineer had equalizers, compressors and reverberation chambers to use to make the mix better (or even different) than the last mix plus only three channel faders for the main tracks!

And those guys cranked out hit after hit!

Quote:
Indeed. I'll post the link from the magazine article for you to read when I find it. It's an interview from him explaining what he used/etc.

Edit: http://www.thebuddyproject.com/news/sufjan_tapeop_0309/sufjan_tapeop0309_1.html

There you go! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back