Headphones for Post-Hardcore?
Feb 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

arnold006287

New Head-Fier
So I have been using these forums for a while now to find good headphones, but never have I actually gone as far as creating an account. Well! My birthday came around and I was given some extra money to invest and save....or buy headphones! haha. I have always loved IEMs due to their slim design, I never wanted to be too flashy, but after I have delved deeper into the headphone world, I have decided maybe it is time to buy a over the ear headphone. I have had the Monster Turbines and LOVED them, but they broke, and then got the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 headphones, and maybe I have not burned them in long enough yet, because I do not love them as much as the Turbines.

So my here is my question! I know that everyone considers Grado SR80i the best rock headphones (for the price), but is there any other headphones that would provide good warm sound for post-hardcore music (which is really all I listen to)? I have never really had good bass-heavy headphones, so I am not sure if I will like it or not, but I am always yearning for more bass in my IEMs. Any suggestions would be awesome, price is not too much of an issue, but I don't feel as though a first pair of headphones should reach the $300 price.
Thanks again,
Brian

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 26

Quote:
So I have been using these forums for a while now to find good headphones, but never have I actually gone as far as creating an account. Well! My birthday came around and I was given some extra money to invest and save....or buy headphones! haha. I have always loved IEMs due to their slim design, I never wanted to be too flashy, but after I have delved deeper into the headphone world, I have decided maybe it is time to buy a over the ear headphone. I have had the Monster Turbines and LOVED them, but they broke, and then got the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 headphones, and maybe I have not burned them in long enough yet, because I do not love them as much as the Turbines.

So my here is my question! I know that everyone considers Grado SR80i the best rock headphones (for the price), but is there any other headphones that would provide good warm sound for post-hardcore music (which is really all I listen to)? I have never really had good bass-heavy headphones, so I am not sure if I will like it or not, but I am always yearning for more bass in my IEMs. Any suggestions would be awesome, price is not too much of an issue, but I don't feel as though a first pair of headphones should reach the $300 price.
Thanks again,
Brian

Grado SR225i and the AD900 are both headphones I have experience with at this price range that would do a great job with that music. IMO you need something energetic rather than dark.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 26
If you mean posthardcore like Neurosis, AmenRa, Isis, Cult of Luna and stuff like that... I prefer my closed HD25-1 II over my Grado SR225i. The 225i is so bright that a lot of the more harsher guitar textures end up sounding grating to my ears. The HD25-1 has a much warmer sound with a more defined basspunch that suits the louder genres much better, in my opinion. Actually my HD580 is very enjoyable as well. It's a step up from the HD25-1 but will take some amping to sound it's best. The HD25-1 II can be driven from about any source. 

Some cans you could try:

- Grado SR60i (i prefer them over the 80's for metal/hardcore for some reason)
- Grado SR225i (make sure you like the brightness)
- AKG K271 (highly underrated for metal, try them if you can) 
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II (my personal favourite)
- Sennheiser HD580/HD600 (in my opinion they just do every genre right, can be too laid back for some. not for me though
normal_smile .gif
)

There are ofcourse a lot of cans out there that will sound good with your music. Try to audition as many as you can!

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 26
then we both have a very different definition of what post-hardcore is.

[edit:] Ah, I see. Google is your friend. It's the difference between America and Europe. We call your definition of post-hardcore fashioncore, mallcore or trendcore. :tongue_smile:

In my opinion post-hardcore is more related to sludge. So, post-hardcore is a genre that incorporates a lot of oldschool hardcore/punk (Cro-Mags, Bad Brains, Melvins, Circle, Black Flag etc) influences with doom and sludge.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 26
No, you're still getting the wrong definition of post-hardcore. You're fashioncre or mallcore hot topic crud is not post-hardcore. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-hardcore

At the Drive-In, Cave In, Fugazi, La Dispute, and Saetia are notable Post-Hardcore bands, completely different than what you call post-hardcore.

Edit: To say that post-hardcore has basically been "dead" since the late 90s. Crappy bands like Silverstein are labeled as post-hardcore, but definitely aren't.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 26
Haha this is actually very interesting that there is a difference between European and American "post-hardcore" Just for clarification, I've always thought post-hardcore was defined as primarily screaming/hard vocals with a clean vocals/singer to compliment the harsh sounds. So bands that I would consider "post-hardcore" would be:
The Word Alive
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Haste the Day
So even if this isn't "real" post-hardcore or it is, it is still a few guys trying to entertain haha, and that is what works for me.
Just out of curiosity though, how would you mod an HD555 into a HD595?
these are great suggestions though thanks

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Haha this is actually very interesting that there is a difference between European and American "post-hardcore" Just for clarification, I've always thought post-hardcore was defined as primarily screaming/hard vocals with a clean vocals/singer to compliment the harsh sounds. So bands that I would consider "post-hardcore" would be:
The Word Alive
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Haste the Day
So even if this isn't "real" post-hardcore or it is, it is still a few guys trying to entertain haha, and that is what works for me.
Just out of curiosity though, how would you mod an HD555 into a HD595?
these are great suggestions though thanks

If you search on here or even Youtube you can find a guide, but essentially you take apart the cups and remove a piece of foam behind the grills.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 26
in your first post you mentioned the words "warm" and "bass-heavy". these are words I personally wouldn't associate with my SR60i's. They are bright, punchy, crunchy and agressive though. :) 
If you want bass heavy and warm you could take a look at the Denon D1100. They have a house-signature you might appreciate. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 26
Alessandro MS-1i or Ultrasone HFI-780... Both sound good with Post-Hardcore, Thrash Metal, Hardcore etc. Go with the 780 if you want more impact on the low end, i find the MS-1i better for overall listening.

I have been through alot of cans, more of a mid centric listener. To be honest i rather enjoyed the stock 780 for most music! But sold everything and came back to trusty old MS-1's as they seem to do well in every genre.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 26
im new to all this, i just have sennheiser hd238 and panasonic rp-htx7, i like the hd238 for critical listening and theyre good but can be a bit harsh, the panasonic's with 2 holes covered up mod are brilliant, warm sound for rock not too harsh and the bass is good. I like them for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back