Headphones for mixing/mastering and ipod use
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 26
His parents might feel otherwise though...lol! Then he hasn't addressed the isolation and iPod issue...I guess that will be the following Christmas? Hope his/her parents have deep pockets!

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 26
How much are we looking at for the apogee combo? Also, what would the advantages of buying the duet instead of something else? Thanks for all the information so far. School has kept me quite busy and I'm active on Ultimate-Guitar as well.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #18 of 26
FWIR, the duet will have a better headphone amp and DAC for the k702 than a lot of cheaper interfaces. It probably doesn't make sense to pair those phones with a sub par audio interface. Acix is the expert on that combo, so he will surely have something to add :)

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
How much are we looking at for the apogee combo? Also, what would the advantages of buying the duet instead of something else? Thanks for all the information so far. School has kept me quite busy and I'm active on Ultimate-Guitar as well.

Eventually you'll need some sound card with pre amp, as well you'll need some and hps amp. The Duet provide you both with a great quality, you can get used around $350 on ebay.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #21 of 26
I'm still gonna say the Shure SRH840, it doesn't need an amp or a DAC, but that won't stop it from sounding better whenyou get both. The SRH840 scales well with new equipment.

I'd ALSO suggest something like an HD25-II for your ipod and for situations were isolation is key because that's one thing the HD25-II's can do that not to many headphones can.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #24 of 26
Somehow I can't see Sennheiser resorting to that kind of thing: The hd650...the Kanye West version! Well, glad to see AKG is a company with their priorities straight. Not knocking their headphones, but discontinuing the old 600ohm professional studio headphone line (k240M, k240DF, 141M, etc) was a big mistake, IMO and they lose a lot of credibility for catering to the iPod generation instead of studio professionals, when they could have done both. Too bad also, because the k240M would have been a good starter phone for someone like the OP who doesn't have the money for the k702 plus suitable amp. The k240M runs well off a relatively cheap amp/interface...though probably not an ipod

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #25 of 26
Back again! This time with choices.
biggrin.gif

1. Denon AHD2000 
I seem to be leaning towards these.

2. Audio-Technica M50
Another popular phone

3. Beyerdynamic DT 770

These are my top three as of now.
Quick recap:

Using these for mastering and mixing my own personal projects as well as projects for school next year. However, they will probably receive the most use out of my ipod. Isolation is also an important factor me. I'm also interested in how they will sound through my stereo setup in my room. Its my understanding that the best sound comes with a good amp, but I have ran out of money, for now. haha. If you were me, which would you choose? Or tell me I'm headed in the wrong direction!

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 26
FWIR the m50 would be the best of those for your purposed. The 770 is not at all flat unless you're talking about the 600ohm version which would need a dedicated amp. Denon FWIR isn't the most neutral/flat headphone either. Equation RP21 and Shure 440 are two other options. The Equation is the only one I've heard and it sounds very good for the price. FWIW, a really talented reggae producer I met on another forum swears by them....and they're under $90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back