Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #11,971 of 12,284
Wow, haven't heard of any of them. I got some listening to do
Heavy recommend of Oathbreaker and Mol, Deafheaven's older stuff is top tier. I'd also recommend Russian Circles and Bossk for that same style.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #11,975 of 12,284
They only miss subbass and they slam harder than Susvara IMO. Very musical, coherent and ultra fast headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #11,976 of 12,284
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but familiar with headphones and metal... :)
I would like to ask, how does the new Edition XS fare with metal, both extreme (Black, Death, Doom) and melodic (Heavy, Power, Symphonic)? Where would it show on the original graph?
Also if the LCD 2 Classic is viable for extreme genres but not so much for melodic ones, would you recommend the LCD 2 with Rosewood Fazors, maybe? Does it help with the midrange?
Thanks all!

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #11,977 of 12,284
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but familiar with headphones and metal... :)
I would like to ask, how does the new Edition XS fare with metal, both extreme (Black, Death, Doom) and melodic (Heavy, Power, Symphonic)? Where would it show on the original graph?
Also if the LCD 2 Classic is viable for extreme genres but not so much for melodic ones, would you recommend the LCD 2 with Rosewood Fazors, maybe? Does it help with the midrange?
Thanks all!
I disagree that the Classic is lacking for melodic genres, personally.

The XS is an interesting animal. Its soundstage is GIGANTIC, and it has some good bass presence, but it's very much a HiFiMan product so it's got a treble presentation that was pretty sharp to my ears so I had to send it back. I suspect if you listen at more moderate volume and aren't looking for a big oomph from the low end they'll be great fun.

Otherwise I really think you can grab the Classics and call it a day. They're just smooth from end to end.

Jun 21, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #11,978 of 12,284
XS is good with metal, I like it. Lots of energy. Hint of sibilance, if that bothers you - steer clear.

I'd take my TH610 over them for metal, quite an addictive, lush sound. Bass goes deep but it's relatively flat overall for a Fostex. XS is a much drier presentation, quite clinical but detailed. Fostex has surprising air for a closed back imo.

Comfort wise, both are pretty comfy for me. Weak point for both is the headband can cause some hotspots but I don't notice it for a long while, even then just a quick adjustment forward or back and it's fine. Can depend in your head/hair etc.

HE5XX is a good choice if you want a little less sharp sound than the XS, good with metal. Bass doesn't go as deep but very good for the price as a hifiman entry.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #11,979 of 12,284
Hello, only discovered them a few days ago and I just did my best to catch up on all the info. just what I gathered from facebook/crowdfunding etc but original Delivery date was Aug 2022, then March 2023. now saying July/August 2023. forgot the timeline but one "early backer" received theres and posted a short video with feedback (I watched the video, kind of seemed a bit weird to me - being overly positive kind of like they felt a responsibility to say pleasing things to the viewers. it could have been a genuine backer but not sure if genuine feedback), but radio silence regarding evidence of other backers getting theirs since then. a lot of "I got a 'shipping process started' notification email" comments on kickstarter, I don't think that means they have actually shipped and it's just a message alerting that they are getting ready to ship.

I noticed you mentioning you are waiting for them a few times (I think your last reference was in May 2023) do you have any update regarding the Heavys since then?

also I read your comment about how "changes were made" could you share what those changes were?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #11,980 of 12,284
You might look at grado if looking for an old school rock sound, or a zmf verite open for clarity, or closed for harder hitting bass with speed.

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #11,981 of 12,284
Hi guys.

I already asked in a few other forums including this one (just in another thread) for some advice and it looks like that it's hard to find something that will satisfy me on a low budget level. Initially I was searching for a Fostex Purpleheart alternative because I loved the sound of these headphones (minus the bass that was bleeding into the mids a bit) but it turns out that there is only the E-MU Teaks (450-500$ depending on if you want a detachable cable or not) and maybe older Denon models (D2000/5000/7000) which I cannot afford or better said the risk of dying drivers for the older Denon models is not worth it to me personally.

I am very sensitive to a harsh treble so most beyerdynamics, Sivgas or Meze headphones won't work for me (already tested a few in a music store) even though you can "fix" them with EQ. But I prefer to avoid using EQ as much as possible (mainly because I never did it and don't know how it works and because I don't want to change the tonality in a song because of it). Closed backs would be prefered because I have a lot of outside noises around me.

Next problem is that I'm from Europe so most stuff is either not available to me or I have to pay extra taxes which results in a higher end price.
Are IEM's the only real option for me? I tried some IEM's in the past even with different tips and it was really painful which is why I always prefer overear headphones but if there is no affordable option to me I guess I have to bite the bullet and try some cheaper IEM stuff...?
I heard positive things about Tang Zu Wan'er, Truthear Hexa and Tripowin Piccolo.

Some examples of bands I am listening to: Crystal Lake, Currents, Invent Animate, Within Destruction, Make Them Suffer, Betraying The Martyrs, Orbit Culture, Shadow Of Intent but also some Djent like Protest The Hero or Periphery. Sleep Token, Dayseeker, Valiant Hearts or Bilmuri are also some "calmer" bands I listen to.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #11,982 of 12,284
Hi guys.

I already asked in a few other forums including this one (just in another thread) for some advice and it looks like that it's hard to find something that will satisfy me on a low budget level. Initally I was searching for a Fostex Purpleheart alternative because I loved the sound of these headphones (minus the bass that was bleeding into the mids a bit) but it turns out that there is only the E-MU Teaks (450-500$ depending on if you want a detachable cable or not) and maybe older Denon models (D2000/5000/7000) which I cannot afford or better said the risk of dying drivers for the older Denon models is not worth it to me personally.

I am very sensitive to a harsh treble so most beyerdynamics, Sivgas or Meze headphones won't work for me (already tested a few in a music store) even though you can "fix" them with EQ. But I prefer to avoid using EQ as much as possible (mainly because I never did it and don't know how it works and because I don't want to change the tonality in a song because of it). Closed backs would be prefered because I have a lot of outside noises around me.

Next problem is that I'm from Europe so most stuff is either not available to me or I have to pay extra taxes which results in a higher end price.
Are IEM's the only real option for me? I tried some IEM's in the past even with different tips and it was really painful which is why I always prefer overear headphones but if there is no affordable option to me I guess I have to bite the bullet and try some cheaper IEM stuff...?
I heard positive things about Tang Zu Wan'er, Truthear Hexa and Tripowin Piccolo.

Some examples of bands I am listening to: Crystal Lake, Currents, Invent Animate, Within Destruction, Make Them Suffer, Betraying The Martyrs, Orbit Culture, Shadow Of Intent but also some Djent like Protest The Hero or Periphery. Sleep Token, Dayseeker, Valiant Hearts or Bilmuri are also some "calmer" bands I listen to.
I can't imagine you're too treble sensitive if the Fostex didn’t bother you.

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #11,983 of 12,284
I can't imagine you're too treble sensitive if the Fostex didn’t bother you.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro was painful to my ears. Same for the Meze 99 Classics although it wasn't that bad on those compared to the Beyerdynamics. Sivga Robin was noticeable enough for me to say that I didn't wanted to listen to them any longer.

My old audio-technica ATH-M30 tend to have sibilance on YouTube videos. But if I'm listening to music it's not there.

For the Purplehearts: I don't know. I never had the chance to get them for myself but a friend of mine sometimes gave them to me for the weekend when he wasn't home. Maybe he changed the pads. I can't really tell because it was a few years ago.

Nevertheless it's safe to say that based on my experience with some headphones I've heard I'm treble sensitive.

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #11,984 of 12,284
Hi guys.

I already asked in a few other forums including this one (just in another thread) for some advice and it looks like that it's hard to find something that will satisfy me on a low budget level. Closed backs would be prefered because I have a lot of outside noises around me.

Since you're from Germany. Look into the Ultrasone Signature line... if you want a closed-back headphone for metal. I can't help with IEMs though, others probably can.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #11,985 of 12,284
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro was painful to my ears. Same for the Meze 99 Classics although it wasn't that bad on those compared to the Beyerdynamics. Sivga Robin was noticeable enough for me to say that I didn't wanted to listen to them any longer.

My old audio-technica ATH-M30 tend to have sibilance on YouTube videos. But if I'm listening to music it's not there.

For the Purplehearts: I don't know. I never had the chance to get them for myself but a friend of mine sometimes gave them to me for the weekend when he wasn't home. Maybe he changed the pads. I can't really tell because it was a few years ago.

Nevertheless it's safe to say that based on my experience with some headphones I've heard I'm treble sensitive.
Sounds like you need a darker sounding headphone with smooth upper frequencies. If you need a closed back with excellent tonality and strong dynamics, my 1st recommendation would be the Denon ah-d7200. Completely non fatiguing with above average resolution, and very musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back