Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 9, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #11,941 of 12,302
I'm familiar with both bands (especially Insomnium) and sure there are a bunch that do benefit from big soundstages. Go into bands like Agalloch and nearly anything post- with that epic atmosphere and you will, but I would argue that unless that's MOST of what you listen to (or metal in general is only a small portion of your library) then those huge spacious cans will end up not working as well.

Side note, has ANYONE heard of anyone actually receiving the Heavys? This is getting crazy.

I just checked the FB page and people are pissed! No reports of anyone receiving anything, even though they posted a picture of a truck full of headphones being shipped out on April 28. Eh, I'm used to things being delayed.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #11,942 of 12,302
I just checked the FB page and people are pissed! No reports of anyone receiving anything, even though they posted a picture of a truck full of headphones being shipped out on April 28. Eh, I'm used to things being delayed.
Delays are fine, I've been defending them concerning delays (the original timeline said we'd all have them by Sept 2022 after all), but this feels like we're being lied to. If they say "shipment has begun" and "we're getting great feedback from backers who received them" but there's no evidence of anyone actually getting a set... that's an issue. Especially since, like you said, they showed a truck with thousands of pairs and said they were getting sent out.

If they'd gone "hey guys, another delay, REALLY sorry" then sure it'd suck and people would complain but at least no one would be waiting every day for an alert that their pair has shipped. I mean jeez I'm in the first 150 backers, my friend is within the first THIRTY, and neither of us have heard anything. I also checked the FB page and they refuse to say how many have been shipped out. Someone asked how it's going and they went "we plan on sending out 5000 in June!" Like... okay, that's great, but you were supposed to start in April.

The idea of getting feedback NOW is also ridiculous. Two months after the product was supposedly shipping out is absolutely not a time to tell people further changes will be made. It just feels like we have no idea what's going on.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #11,943 of 12,302
I'm looking for a closed back and I listen to a lot of post-metal adjacent bands (Alcest, Cult of Luna, Amenra, Rosetta, ISIS, Neurosis, Deafheaven, Deftones, Boris, etc.) and lots of atmospheric music in general. Between the Aeon 2 Noire, ZMF Atticus, Atrium Closed, and Verite Closed, what does everyone feel the best closed back would be for this type of music? Coming from HD 650s, I care a lot about timbre and of course ZMF excels here but the Noires also seem to be liked for their timbre plus they get some of the planar benefits with instrument separation. As far as metal goes, I also sometimes listen to some classic death, thrash, stoner, and black metal.

Edit: I'm also aware of Kennerton's closed backs but have decided to rule them out since I want to go with something based in the US in case I ever needed something repaired or replaced.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #11,944 of 12,302
I'm looking for a closed back and I listen to a lot of post-metal adjacent bands (Alcest, Cult of Luna, Amenra, Rosetta, ISIS, Neurosis, Deafheaven, Deftones, Boris, etc.) and lots of atmospheric music in general. Between the Aeon 2 Noire, ZMF Atticus, Atrium Closed, and Verite Closed, what does everyone feel the best closed back would be for this type of music? Coming from HD 650s, I care a lot about timbre and of course ZMF excels here but the Noires also seem to be liked for their timbre plus they get some of the planar benefits with instrument separation. As far as metal goes, I also sometimes listen to some classic death, thrash, stoner, and black metal.

Edit: I'm also aware of Kennerton's closed backs but have decided to rule them out since I want to go with something based in the US in case I ever needed something repaired or replaced.
Verite Closed out of those you mentioned. Also look into Z1R and Meze Liric.

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #11,945 of 12,302

I don't know if it's the "best" but the Verite Open (not heard the Closed) is perfect. I am transported by the pleasure of his musicality. I would even speak of bewitchment. It's the most harmonious I've heard, which doesn't mean the most efficient technically speaking, but what a trip! And I listen to 80% Metal.
If the Closed is nearly the same thing, it's a very serious contender.
The Atticus is too limited in the treble for me.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #11,946 of 12,302
I don't know if it's the "best" but the Verite Open (not heard the Closed) is perfect. I am transported by the pleasure of his musicality. I would even speak of bewitchment. It's the most harmonious I've heard, which doesn't mean the most efficient technically speaking, but what a trip! And I listen to 80% Metal.
If the Closed is nearly the same thing, it's a very serious contender.
The Atticus is too limited in the treble for me.
Hey I know this is the full size thread but could you give a fast rundown of your planar IEMs? I'm looking at the HBB Rapto and the Timeless AE but unsure.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #11,947 of 12,302
Hey I know this is the full size thread but could you give a fast rundown of your planar IEMs? I'm looking at the HBB Rapto and the Timeless AE but unsure.
I sold my FH9 to keep these two pairs. I like the sound of the planars (He6se). I found the FH9 excellent, precise, with a very good impact and detailed but less musical, more sterile, a little bit fatiguing. These two pairs give me satisfaction: typical analog sound, rumbling bass, good level of detail, mediums with substance, controlled treble. For my favorite genre, Death Metal, it's really great!
Between the two :
Raptgo: clearer and airier, more present highs, a little more impact perhaps
Timeless AE: more rumbling bass, meatier low-mids, smoother highs.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #11,948 of 12,302

Audio 46 carries Kennerton, and they have a solid return policy. Just a heads up. I'm eager to try something from ZMF myself. I'm going to wait until they release the new closed back they're working on. It's going to be 80 ohms with higher sensitivity.

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #11,949 of 12,302
I sold my FH9 to keep these two pairs. I like the sound of the planars (He6se). I found the FH9 excellent, precise, with a very good impact and detailed but less musical, more sterile, a little bit fatiguing. These two pairs give me satisfaction: typical analog sound, rumbling bass, good level of detail, mediums with substance, controlled treble. For my favorite genre, Death Metal, it's really great!
Between the two :
Raptgo: clearer and airier, more present highs, a little more impact perhaps
Timeless AE: more rumbling bass, meatier low-mids, smoother highs.
That solves it for me! I'm a "meat" type fan when it comes to sound so I think I know what to snag when I have the funds.

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #11,950 of 12,302
snapshot_www.head-fi.org_1686554110929.png

This head-fier seems agree 🙂

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #11,951 of 12,302
Delays are fine, I've been defending them concerning delays (the original timeline said we'd all have them by Sept 2022 after all), but this feels like we're being lied to. If they say "shipment has begun" and "we're getting great feedback from backers who received them" but there's no evidence of anyone actually getting a set... that's an issue. Especially since, like you said, they showed a truck with thousands of pairs and said they were getting sent out.

If they'd gone "hey guys, another delay, REALLY sorry" then sure it'd suck and people would complain but at least no one would be waiting every day for an alert that their pair has shipped. I mean jeez I'm in the first 150 backers, my friend is within the first THIRTY, and neither of us have heard anything. I also checked the FB page and they refuse to say how many have been shipped out. Someone asked how it's going and they went "we plan on sending out 5000 in June!" Like... okay, that's great, but you were supposed to start in April.

The idea of getting feedback NOW is also ridiculous. Two months after the product was supposedly shipping out is absolutely not a time to tell people further changes will be made. It just feels like we have no idea what's going on.
Thanks for the update/rant -- let us know if you hear anything.

My guess right now is perhaps a critical issue was found in the headphone, and they're scrambling to fix? Whatever the case is, they need to communicate!

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #11,952 of 12,302
Thanks for the update/rant -- let us know if you hear anything.

My guess right now is perhaps a critical issue was found in the headphone, and they're scrambling to fix? Whatever the case is, they need to communicate!
LOL yeah I get a little ranty, sorry.

And I agree. If they had some issue, just say so, y'know? I think people would understand far better than being in the dark.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #11,953 of 12,302
I think Audezes and Focals are spectacular for metal, can't point out what would be improved. The new Godflesh, Thanifaxath is immense on both...

Jun 13, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #11,955 of 12,302
was just listening to new Godflesh album on LCD-2. Amazing!
Yup, my LCD-2s are nearly my exclusive metal headphones at the house. The Utopias are a close 2nd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back