Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 15, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #11,882 of 12,302
Up to $1,200 ish, but I'm flexible if it's worth it. Currently have an LCD-2 that I'm also selling because it's just too heavy for me and gives me a sore neck. Using an Element II as a source/amp.
LCD-X 2021, there are so many second hand for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155494803303
they have weight, but I find them comfortable, up to you.

Some would suggest Fostex TH909, you can get them cheap second hand as well, I did not try them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195704059160

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #11,883 of 12,302
Currently own the HD650, but looking for something a little more detailed/aggressive in the midrange for my predominate metalcore/hardcore tastes. Currently looking at the Focal Elex, Grado GS1000X, and Grado 325x. Any suggestions? Preferably something that also does indie/folk acoustic style (Iron and Wine etc) music well too.

I'd go for the 325x. Elex, nah... not for metal. I sold it. Personally wasn't really a fan of the Elex despite the looks, plus Focal headbands creak like absolute crazy. It's not what I would consider aggressive.

I have the 325x, Turbulent x custom grado, hd800S, he5xx, Panda

I'd reach for my 325x for metal first, nice energy but not harsh. Plus, rolling pads on the grado is very easy. I'm using the beautiful audio pads which are a bit bigger but very comfy.

Maybe the new Audeze MM-100 will be good considering it's much lighter. I'm going to try the Edition XS and TH610 next week too.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #11,884 of 12,302
TH610 is very unlikely to be what you want, given the V signature and scooped-out mids.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #11,887 of 12,302
610 isn't super V-shaped compared to other Fostex offerings. I just got them today and they're sounding great with metal so far. Previously had some TH-X00's which were definitely more V-shaped.

The V is probably not as discernible with metal. My comment was because of the other genres he mentioned "Preferably something that also does indie/folk acoustic"

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #11,888 of 12,302
Are they bright, or similar tuning to the Teaks?

Haven't heard the teaks. 610 are very energetic, I love the crisp sounding guitars. Definitely not too bright for me but I'd consider them somewhat bright, but not harsh, actually may be my favourite metal can already. Bass extends deep but doesn't overpower like my THX00 PH used to.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #11,889 of 12,302
Apr 21, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #11,890 of 12,302
Hi!

I hope an IEM suggestion still fits here. I want to buy an IEM from the 80$ price range.

I've seen two IEMs that has nice reviews. One is the Simgot EA500 and the KZ PR1 Pro which has a relatively big planar driver.

You can suggest another IEMs from the price range too.

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #11,891 of 12,302
Hi!

I hope an IEM suggestion still fits here. I want to buy an IEM from the 80$ price range.

I've seen two IEMs that has nice reviews. One is the Simgot EA500 and the KZ PR1 Pro which has a relatively big planar driver.

You can suggest another IEMs from the price range too.
It’s less active but you may want to post your query in the iems for metal thread too.

Apr 21, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #11,892 of 12,302
I am also interested in the headphones you mentioned above.

Actually I have an Edition XS but i couldn't hear it because a dac and amp is actually missing. I will use it for movies, rock and metal. Do you think it is a good choice.

Maybe I want to have a dynamic headphone, too to have both technics.

I testet the TH-610 but I used the D5000 more because it was more fun to listen to. The 610 was a bit peaky. I think it could work with warmer amps better than Topping for instance? Because of that reason I used the 5000. I think the Emu Teak is more like the 5000 than the 610? Would you describe the teak as better?

The second headphone which I am interested in is the Elear. So actually I have the XS. Which of them would you choose as a second headphone for these genres? The Teak or the Elear?

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #11,894 of 12,302
Did anyone try Kennerton's Thror or Thekk or Wodan for metal?
I have the Rognir, and I was thinking about getting another Kennerton as a counterpart.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #11,895 of 12,302
I am really, really digging the Meze Liric for hardcore and metal lately. Think it's my fav closed back for heavy music. Great separation (never sounds congested), fairly spacious for a closed back and non-fatiguing but still with plenty of impact.

It's especially good at unpicking poorly mastered metalcore stuff like this (can sound like a muddy mess on other cans)

(FFO: breakdowns)

This was the answer I was hoping to find. I'm interested in the Liric as my first headphones. Last year got into a portable set up with Meze Advar IEM's and an iFi Gryphon to get my feet wet and see if I would like listening to music this way. Have always had nice home systems but events of recent years don't allow me to enjoy listening outloud like I used to. I do love my Advar IEM. They do an outstanding job with my preferred genres of metal and hard rock. The Liric, from all the combined reviews and thoughts from people everywhere, seem to be well rounded. I had a pair of Focal Celestee for a brief time and they just didn't do metal any justice for me, but the bigger presence and stage compared to the more intimate sound of my IEM are what I'm craving. May just have to pull the trigger and give the Liric a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back