Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #11,867 of 12,315
Tempted to do like a bracket system for each price range just to see what the eventual winners are. Like open/closed back at the <$500, 500-1000, 1000+ ranges
How would you conclude the winner, runner up, etc? By vote? I'm sure only a small handful of people will have listened to every headphone that makes the list. Then there's the whole subjective preference thing. Just curious how this would work as I've seen other bracket lists and never understood the strategy.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #11,868 of 12,315
Tempted to do like a bracket system for each price range just to see what the eventual winners are. Like open/closed back at the <$500, 500-1000, 1000+ ranges
This can only be done by yourself. :)
To many subjective preferences would derial to whole comparison, sadly.

Might be an expensive journey for you. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #11,869 of 12,315
Would be awesome to see the breakdown!

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #11,870 of 12,315
First things first, I would take an extra look at post no. 1 of this thread...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #11,871 of 12,315
Hi guys! This forum thread/post seems very very descriptive seems to be run by passionate people really loving music hahaha.
I am a huge metalhead and I'm listening to Melodic Death metal (Belakor, Amorphis, Insomnium, Dark tranquility, The Halo Effect) quite alot lately, with my share of power metal, thrash metal, Symphonic & Heavy Metal. (actually been learning guitar for a year and putting alot of hours because of it...)
Following levap extensive review of headphones, I have found a nice pair of Denon AH-D600 for sale and bought them.

I'm currently running on Sennheiser 363D USB headphones with a Auto EQ to ajust the lack of bass.
My computer is a Laptop with limited usb socket but there is a 3.5mm audio jack in there unused.
However I'm ready to jump in the next level as these headphones have audio crack, distortion and buzz at certain frequency (especially in the low freq).
I also play guitar throught a USB cable to the 1/4 inch with a software, and those crackles and poor audio really shows up when I play sometimes.

In relation to levap review, what would be a good budget DAC for my newly acquired Denon AH-D600 ?
What does he mean by a "dark sounding DAC, one that enhance mid-low freq?"
I would love spending less than 250$ total considering that I got the headphone for 200$

Would there be anything else that I am missing that would be critical ?
I would really love to push my music to the next level and fully enjoy the FLAC quality with my headphones.

Sorry for the long post

Thanks! \m/

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #11,872 of 12,315
Hi guys! This forum thread/post seems very very descriptive seems to be run by passionate people really loving music hahaha.
I am a huge metalhead and I'm listening to Melodic Death metal (Belakor, Amorphis, Insomnium, Dark tranquility, The Halo Effect) quite alot lately, with my share of power metal, thrash metal, Symphonic & Heavy Metal. (actually been learning guitar for a year and putting alot of hours because of it...)
Following levap extensive review of headphones, I have found a nice pair of Denon AH-D600 for sale and bought them.

I'm currently running on Sennheiser 363D USB headphones with a Auto EQ to ajust the lack of bass.
My computer is a Laptop with limited usb socket but there is a 3.5mm audio jack in there unused.
However I'm ready to jump in the next level as these headphones have audio crack, distortion and buzz at certain frequency (especially in the low freq).
I also play guitar throught a USB cable to the 1/4 inch with a software, and those crackles and poor audio really shows up when I play sometimes.

In relation to levap review, what would be a good budget DAC for my newly acquired Denon AH-D600 ?
What does he mean by a "dark sounding DAC, one that enhance mid-low freq?"
I would love spending less than 250$ total considering that I got the headphone for 200$

Would there be anything else that I am missing that would be critical ?
I would really love to push my music to the next level and fully enjoy the FLAC quality with my headphones.

Sorry for the long post

Thanks! \m/
Hello,
I'm not sure I understand everything you wrote.
If you're looking for a budget DAC under $250 you can get the Topping E50: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...-decoder-ultra-low-noise-preamp-headphone-dac

Do you have an amplifier?

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #11,873 of 12,315
Hello,
I'm not sure I understand everything you wrote.
If you're looking for a budget DAC under $250 you can get the Topping E50: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...-decoder-ultra-low-noise-preamp-headphone-dac

Do you have an amplifier?
I do not have an amp or an dac.
I was looking at one of the thread on this website that recommends the fiio e10 as a affordable entry level dac/amp combo that also has a "dark" sound? By dark, does it mean a emphasis to mid&low? I'm trying to keep a portable setup as I travel for work quite regularly and would love to fit everything in my laptop bag.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #11,874 of 12,315
I do not have an amp or an dac.
I was looking at one of the thread on this website that recommends the fiio e10 as a affordable entry level dac/amp combo that also has a "dark" sound? By dark, does it mean a emphasis to mid&low? I'm trying to keep a portable setup as I travel for work quite regularly and would love to fit everything in my laptop bag.
That looks like a portable device, is that what you need?

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #11,875 of 12,315
How do the LCD-2Cs work with djent/Progressive/Post metal?

Not my genres but I would guess not very well. The 2C has slam but is slow and can be almost gooey.

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #11,878 of 12,315
I dont agree at all, I was listening to Animals as leaders last night on my LCD-2C's they had no problem keeping up and sounded great, you need to make sure you amplify them properly.

Agreed that they are not as fast as the LCD-X, but they are in no way slow.

Apr 15, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #11,879 of 12,315
Currently own the HD650, but looking for something a little more detailed/aggressive in the midrange for my predominate metalcore/hardcore tastes. Currently looking at the Focal Elex, Grado GS1000X, and Grado 325x. Any suggestions? Preferably something that also does indie/folk acoustic style (Iron and Wine etc) music well too.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #11,880 of 12,315
Currently own the HD650, but looking for something a little more detailed/aggressive in the midrange for my predominate metalcore/hardcore tastes. Currently looking at the Focal Elex, Grado GS1000X, and Grado 325x. Any suggestions? Preferably something that also does indie/folk acoustic style (Iron and Wine etc) music well too.
Budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back