Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #11,836 of 12,322
Not who you replied to I see you own a VC it sounds like you've heard AC as well. I'm determined to add a pair of ZMF headphones to compliment my LCD-2. I need closed back as I'm wanting a set that has minimal sound leak and good isolation. How would you compare the VC and AC? Is the beryllium driver used in the VC a bit faster than the biocellulose driver in the AC? I'm not huge on doom and stoner (do like it though) and mainly listen to death metal and black metal. I value a punchy, warm signature with fast attack and transients.
Yes, i have a final tuning prototype of the Atrium closed here with me for the last couple of weeks courtesy of ZMF.

20230306_141323.jpg

The VC is a faster sounding driver, but the mids on the AC are more forward and in my chain, the AC's stage is more expansive. If you want something similar sounding to the LCD-2 you will want the Atrium closed. The sub bass on it is simply killer. OTOH, if you want something that sounds more different than you will want the VC.

I almost always prefer the stock pads on all ZMFs, and the VC and AC are no exception. The VC is much more neutral sounding vs. AC, but if you're not aware pad rolling on ZMFs can have a dramatic impact on how any of their headphones can sound. Still, regardless of the pads being used the AC sub bass is still dominant. If you have a bass heavy upstream chain that can be problematic for the AC. My Lampizator DAC's bass is too much and causes the ACs bass to become overbearing. With the Merason DAC1 the bass is tamed considerably but it still sounds massive. tube rolling will also dictate how much bass you will get out of the AC, assuming you have a tube amp and/or DAC.

The AC and VC next to each other

EDIT: You can also wait until the Caldera closed is released, which is supposed to be sometime this year, but nobody but Zach has heard that yet.

20230310_161602.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #11,837 of 12,322
Yes, i have a final tuning prototype of the Atrium closed here with me for the last couple of weeks courtesy of ZMF.

20230306_141323.jpg

The VC is a faster sounding driver, but the mids on the AC are more forward and in my chain, the AC's stage is more expansive. If you want something similar sounding to the LCD-2 you will want the Atrium closed. The sub bass on it is simply killer. OTOH, if you want something that sounds more different than you will want the VC.

I almost always prefer the stock pads on all ZMFs, and the VC and AC are no exception. The VC is much more neutral sounding vs. AC, but if you're not aware pad rolling on ZMFs can have a dramatic impact on how any of their headphones can sound. Still, regardless of the pads being used the AC sub bass is still dominant. If you have a bass heavy upstream chain that can be problematic for the AC. My Lampizator DAC's bass is too much and causes the ACs bass to become overbearing. With the Merason DAC1 the bass is tamed considerably but it still sounds massive. tube rolling will also dictate how much bass you will get out of the AC, assuming you have a tube amp and/or DAC.

The AC and VC next to each other

EDIT: You can also wait until the Caldera closed is released, which is supposed to be sometime this year, but nobody but Zach has heard that yet.

20230310_161602.jpg
Thanks for the detailed insight! It actually sounds like the AC may be more up my alley with my current kit. I’ve got fairly pedestrian source gear at the moment; Schiit Agard 3 and a Modi 3 DAC. I know people love tube amps paired with ZMF headphones so that would be something I’d consider in the future. Would likely look to jump to an R2R DAC as well. I’m currently more in tune with portable gear so I need to start diving in and researching desktop gear sources and figure out what’s what.

Caldera sounds (and looks) nice but I’d like to go with something that uses a dynamic driver to see what that’s all about. I love the speed and snappiness of a planar but want something that’s a bit slower with more decay and warmth to the sound profile.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #11,838 of 12,322
I love the speed and snappiness of a planar but want something that’s a bit slower with more decay and warmth to the sound profile.

R2R DAC as well.
The rule of thumb with ZMF headphones is you will get a more romantic sound with a longer decay with the softer woods on the Janka scale, whereas with harder woods you get less decay, slightly more snap and slightly more impact. The stabilized and resin versions will have similar sound characteristics to the hard woods.

The prototype I have here is Malaysian Teak which is a soft wood. When I get my own set it will be of a harder wood, but that is simply a personal preference. On the AC specifically the sub bass will be tighter on hard woods.

Regarding a R2R DAC, I am a huge fan of all of the R2R DACs I've owned in the past, but understand that R2R DACs typically lean warm and have rounded edges. With brighter headphones that usually results in a more musical sound, whereas with ZMF headphones, which most tend to be warm already, it can become too much of a good thing.
This can be offset by a neutral SS amp, or in the case of tubes perhaps some Tung Sol 5998s for example, will help , but warmer tubes like Mullards it can get too warm and gooey with an R2R DAC in place.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #11,839 of 12,322
My local Focal distributor was clearing out "B Stock" (Brand New) Focal Radiance for $663.00 USD and I have to say they are pretty friggin' good for atmospheric black metal.

Listening to Downfall of Gaia's Ethic of Radical Finitude Album and they need no EQ at all. The macro dynamics and slam is very impressive. For my ears and tastes that is.

Not impressed with the cost of the OEM Ear Pad replacements however!!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #11,840 of 12,322
I’m kind of in the camp that anything neutral sounding is perfect for metal and rock music. The reason I argue this is because with the wide range of sounds a song can have a more neutral flavor let’s everything ring out truly. You really can’t go wrong with the HD6XX/600 series for this. I love bands like periphery, dance gavin dance etc and this has been more than enough for me. I have never felt like my sound was lacking in any way

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #11,841 of 12,322
I’m kind of in the camp that anything neutral sounding is perfect for metal and rock music. The reason I argue this is because with the wide range of sounds a song can have a more neutral flavor let’s everything ring out truly. You really can’t go wrong with the HD6XX/600 series for this. I love bands like periphery, dance gavin dance etc and this has been more than enough for me. I have never felt like my sound was lacking in any way
Happy for you. Don't listen to anything better and save your money! I made that mistake...

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #11,842 of 12,322
Happy for you. Don't listen to anything better and save your money! I made that mistake...
It’s a slippery slope… the 7hz timeless opened me up to what good bass is and now I’m searching for a headphone that can match it haha, Im going down an ever increasing rabbit hole.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #11,843 of 12,322
Neutral
Neutral can work - at times. Though I think we all have different ideas as to what exactly neutral is. A lot of it can depend on the recording. Many different recording types, styles, and quality with rock and metal.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,844 of 12,322
Not impressed with the cost of the OEM Ear Pad replacements however!!
I've come across many ridiculously cheap deals on the gamut of Focal models and never pulled the trigger, even though I really enjoy some of them.

The outrageous cost of replacement OEM pads (and the difficulty in obtaining them, certainly in my part of the world), allied to the fact that the headband padding isn't replaceable on any of them as far as I know mitigates against long term ownership in a BIG way.

Which is a pity, but one of these days I'll find an insane deal on a pair of Clears or Stellias and just bite the bullet...I'm prepared to pay retail less 50%...or less... :innocent:

PS: As an example, I've been offered an as-new pair of Elegia for the equivalent of $270 and so far I've declined...am I nuts? (Not rhetorical...I wanna know!)
Hmmmm......:thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #11,845 of 12,322
I've come across many ridiculously cheap deals on the gamut of Focal models and never pulled the trigger, even though I really enjoy some of them.

The outrageous cost of replacement OEM pads (and the difficulty in obtaining them, certainly in my part of the world), allied to the fact that the headband padding isn't replaceable on any of them as far as I know mitigates against long term ownership in a BIG way.

Which is a pity, but one of these days I'll find an insane deal on a pair of Clears or Stellias and just bite the bullet...I'm prepared to pay retail less 50%...or less... :innocent:

PS: As an example, I've been offered an as-new pair of Elegia for the equivalent of $270 and so far I've declined...am I nuts? (Not rhetorical...I wanna know!)
Hmmmm......:thinking:
Depends on how often you might use them I suppose.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #11,846 of 12,322
Depends on how often you might use them I suppose.
And that depends on how much I enjoy them. I have 4 other headphones that I enjoy immensely and rotate these regularly according to how I'm feeling on the day and what I intend to listen to.
So they may be used a couple hours a week, give or take.
My headphones do tend to last well considering the above use case.

At the price I don't believe it's much of a risk unless I truly hate them.
Our market here for 2nd hand cans is tiny and I'll likely be stuck with them for the foreseeable future if that is the case!

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #11,847 of 12,322
And that depends on how much I enjoy them. I have 4 other headphones that I enjoy immensely and rotate these regularly according to how I'm feeling on the day and what I intend to listen to.
So they may be used a couple hours a week, give or take.
My headphones do tend to last well considering the above use case.

At the price I don't believe it's much of a risk unless I truly hate them.
Our market here for 2nd hand cans is tiny and I'll likely be stuck with them for the foreseeable future if that is the case!
Nah. If you find the deal you're after (sounds like you already have), you shouldn't have any problems selling them without much of a loss if any.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #11,849 of 12,322
Which is a pity, but one of these days I'll find an insane deal on a pair of Clears or Stellias and just bite the bullet...I'm prepared to pay retail less 50%...or less...
I got the Clear MG Pro at the same time - another great deal at 50% off and they came with a spare set of pads so I'm set there and apparently the Dekoni Stellia Limited Pads are ok for the Clears from what I have read.

The Clear MG is no slouch either for metal though it can be a little polite and smooth which is ok with some poorly mastered metal. My favorite metal genres are Atmospheric Black, Ambient Post Metal Black, Melodic and Progressive. I'm 62 years of age and discovered Metal 3 years ago and it has no schiit changed my life.

I had not upgraded for awhile and I thought the Clear and Radiance would compliment each other and they indeed do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back