Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 17, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #11,551 of 12,302
Well I backed the project as soon as it went live (around Feb/March?) and I admit that, while I understand the reasons for delays, it's a little disheartening and a reminder that crowdfunding is always a gamble.

The original timeline was that they would be shipped out in August 2022. They made a post that supply chain issues pushed that back to November. Then last month they posted again that they won't be shipping out until March 2023. I don't mind delays, they're part of the process, but it does leave one a bit anxious. Especially with a bluetooth product where there's always the risk of it being a generation behind by the time it releases.

So basically unless you're one of the 30 who are heading to NYC (as a KS backer) to get to listen to one in person, no one's going to have any actual impressions of them for at least 4 months still.
Thanks very much. The only thing I don't like about them (without, obviously, like you said, don't know anything about their sound) is that you have to send them back to replace the headband when it deteriorates with time... They will sell replacement pads, but not the head band.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #11,552 of 12,302
Is the main post still being updated?

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #11,553 of 12,302
This is very good for metal music: Monolith M565C
Great frequency response (blue line):
11246020.jpg

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #11,554 of 12,302
This is very good for metal music: Monolith M565C
Great frequency response (blue line):
11246020.jpg
Don't you like treble? That frequency response is very bad between 3 and 10 kHz.

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #11,555 of 12,302
Don't you like treble? That frequency response is very bad between 3 and 10 kHz.
There are a lot of metal productions with harsh treble. I find that production quality isn't always a priority with metal :)

I use a low-treble headphone for them (sennheiser hd200 pro)... that's the sort of idea I get looking at his recommendation. Better productions get more balanced headphones.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #11,556 of 12,302
Hey everyone! This my first post - I registered because of this amazing thread.

So I’ve been in the audio hobby for about 5 years now, went down the hi-fi rabbit hole with turntables, floorstanding speakers etc but, thankfully, buying an RME Adi 2 DAC FS and studio monitors taught me just how insanely good digital audio can get and allowed me to exit the hole. But I feel like I’m jumping straight into another, the headphone rabbit hole - and it’s a tasty one!

Ok so right now I use my Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X which I really like and also got the Fiio FH3’s which are not bad but I’m always reaching for my Beyers. The 900 Pro X EQ’d with the RME for a bass boost are really nice and work well with prog but can get fatiguing after about half an hour of high volume listening. They are veeeery analytical which I like for some metal sub-genres but I would like a more bombastic signature for more extreme stuff like death metal, symphonic black etc. Also I feel like the DT’s distort a bit after EQ.

So I’m looking at purchasing a complimentary pair to my Beyers. Something definitely warmer , with lots of sub-bass for nice heart-pounding kick drums, snappy snares/hi-hats and big guitars. Also, while the 900 Pro X’s soundstage is fine, I’m looking for a more….enveloping soundstage for my complimentary pair. Something to suck me in when listening to stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Amon Amarth, Gojira or even Devin Townsend etc.

After going through most of this thread, am I right in thinking that my two main contenders are the LCD-2C and the LCD-2 closed ? My budget is around 800 euros and so my list of options is as follows:

Main contenders:
LCD-2c (I like everything I read about those, I just hope I don’t lose too much detail in the treble coming from the DT 900 Pro X)
LCD-2 closed (if the signature is similar to the 2c, the closed back would be a pro in my situation but not necessary)

Also considering:
Hifiman Sundara (could be a sidegrade tho ?)
Hifiman Ananda Stealth (conflicting reports as to whether Ananda is good for metal/rock)

Other options I’m unsure about:
Campfire Audio Cascades
Monolith m1570
Avantone Planar
Denon D7200

Whichever pair I buy will be driven by the Adi 2 DAC FS and/or a Schiit Magni 3+. Unfortunately I don’t have the option to demo any of those where I live so it has to be a blind purchase/order.

Some examples of stuff I regularly listen to:
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal (I use What a Horrible Night to have a Curse when I test new equipment)
Revocation - Existence is Futile (Same with Across Forests and Fjords)
In Flames
Gojira
Septic Flesh
Dimmu Borgir
Dissection
Cradle Of Filth
Fleshgod Apocalypse
At the Gates
Amon Amarth
Tool
Slipknot
Ghost
Volbeat
Queensryche
Dream Theater
Fates Warning
Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson
Devin Townsend

Help a fellow metalhead audiophile out! Nice to meet you all!

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #11,557 of 12,302

So I’ve been in the audio hobby for about 5 years now, went down the hi-fi rabbit hole with turntables, floorstanding speakers etc but, thankfully, buying an RME Adi 2 DAC FS and studio monitors taught me just how insanely good digital audio can get and allowed me to exit the hole. But I feel like I’m jumping straight into another, the headphone rabbit hole - and it’s a tasty one!

Ok so right now I use my Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X which I really like and also got the Fiio FH3’s which are not bad but I’m always reaching for my Beyers. The 900 Pro X EQ’d with the RME for a bass boost are really nice and work well with prog but can get fatiguing after about half an hour of high volume listening. They are veeeery analytical which I like for some metal sub-genres but I would like a more bombastic signature for more extreme stuff like death metal, symphonic black etc. Also I feel like the DT’s distort a bit after EQ.

So I’m looking at purchasing a complimentary pair to my Beyers. Something definitely warmer , with lots of sub-bass for nice heart-pounding kick drums, snappy snares/hi-hats and big guitars. Also, while the 900 Pro X’s soundstage is fine, I’m looking for a more….enveloping soundstage for my complimentary pair. Something to suck me in when listening to stuff like Black Dahlia Murder, Amon Amarth, Gojira or even Devin Townsend etc.

After going through most of this thread, am I right in thinking that my two main contenders are the LCD-2C and the LCD-2 closed ? My budget is around 800 euros and so my list of options is as follows:

Main contenders:
LCD-2c (I like everything I read about those, I just hope I don’t lose too much detail in the treble coming from the DT 900 Pro X)
LCD-2 closed (if the signature is similar to the 2c, the closed back would be a pro in my situation but not necessary)

Also considering:
Hifiman Ananda Stealth (conflicting reports as to whether Ananda is good for metal/rock)

Campfire Audio Cascades
Monolith m1570
Avantone Planar
Denon D7200

Whichever pair I buy will be driven by the Adi 2 DAC FS and/or a Schiit Magni 3+. Unfortunately I don’t have the option to demo any of those where I live so it has to be a blind purchase/order.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal (I use What a Horrible Night to have a Curse when I test new equipment)
In Flames
Gojira
Septic Flesh
Dimmu Borgir
Dissection
Cradle Of Filth
Fleshgod Apocalypse
At the Gates
Amon Amarth
Tool
Slipknot
Ghost
Volbeat
Queensryche
Dream Theater
Fates Warning
Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson
Devin Townsend

You have a very good taste in music :) You are from Greece... What about Need and Playgrounded both good bands from Greece.

Get the Focal Radiance they are not on your list but they are excellent for metal and fits your criteria. Hifiman are in many ways good headphones but boring in the long run and not very good for rock/metal. I have not heard lcd-2 so can't comment. The other headphones are more than 1 step below Radiance. Denon D9200 is very good for metal but expensive and on the bright side. The Radiance are warm in comparison and way cheaper.

Black Friday deal.
https://www.fnac.com/Casque-ferme-circum-aural-Focal-Radiance-Bentley/a16256075/w-4

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #11,558 of 12,302
You have a very good taste in music :) You are from Greece... What about Need and Playgrounded both good bands from Greece.

Get the Focal Radiance they are not on your list but they are excellent for metal and fits your criteria. Hifiman are in many ways good headphones but boring in the long run and not very good for rock/metal. I have not heard lcd-2 so can't comment. The other headphones are more than 1 step below Radiance. Denon D9200 is very good for metal but expensive and on the bright side. The Radiance are warm in comparison and way cheaper.

Black Friday deal.
https://www.fnac.com/Casque-ferme-circum-aural-Focal-Radiance-Bentley/a16256075/w-4
Thank you! I'm more of a Septic Flesh/Rotting Christ kind of guy as far as bands from my hometown are concerned but I will definitely check those out!

The Focals seem intriguing and they are some of the few pairs I can demo here along with Senns and Beyers so I will try that soon. I was hoping to enter the world of planars this time but wouldn't say no to a well-implemented dynamic if it's good for rock/metal.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #11,559 of 12,302
Thank you! I'm more of a Septic Flesh/Rotting Christ kind of guy as far as bands from my hometown are concerned but I will definitely check those out!

The Focals seem intriguing and they are some of the few pairs I can demo here along with Senns and Beyers so I will try that soon. I was hoping to enter the world of planars this time but wouldn't say no to a well-implemented dynamic if it's good for rock/metal.
Rotting Christ, yeah man... AEALO...
Revocation's good too.

I probably can't help with your headphone situation. I'm not a planar guy.
Maybe a Fostex. Or this:
That one tempts me for metal. I think there'd be zero fatigue with it.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #11,560 of 12,302

Main contenders:

Also considering:

Campfire Audio Cascades
Monolith m1570
Avantone Planar
Denon D7200

In Flames
Gojira
Septic Flesh
Dimmu Borgir
Dissection
Cradle Of Filth
Fleshgod Apocalypse
At the Gates
Amon Amarth
Tool
Slipknot
Ghost
Volbeat
Queensryche
Dream Theater
Fates Warning
Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson
Devin Townsend

They've already told you the opposite, but for me the Ananda are the best headphones I've tried for rock/metal, by far too. And they make an excellent pair with the RME ADI-2 DAC (I have both).

And by the way, I hate the Focal and that warm and boring sound of the Clear or the Radiance... for me they are the antithesis of metal :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #11,561 of 12,302
If PapaIV already likes DT900 Pro X maybe DT1990 Pro is the next step up the ladder, similar sound but with better technicalities: lower distorsion, can play louder, wider soundstage, biggest con being the elevated treble which may take some EQ to be fine for all. After EQ it's sublime imo. I lower 6k and 10k and give sub 80 a little push and it sounds great. DT900 Pro X sounds pretty balanced as is.

As for planars, I only have the Hifiman HE400SE and sure it impresses with extreme low distorsion and extreme openness but compared to DT1990 Pro it lacks a whole lot of body in each and every sound. It's extreme clean, but also all sounds are sounding a little tiny. DT1990 Pro renders all instruments at "full size" and as powerful.

A planar with a somewhat meatier sound than the HE400SE would be great!

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #11,562 of 12,302

I don't listen to as much metal these days, but I love SepticFlesh! I use the Fostex thx-00 and they sound great to me with metal (and most music in general). The Denon D7200 might be a good option, though I haven't heard it myself, maybe someone else can chime in. I have the Denon D2000 which are similar to the thx-00.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #11,564 of 12,302

My budget is around 800 euros
Hey there, based on your preferences I'd recommend the Denon 7200 or possibly the Meze 99 Classics. If you can swing one of the Fostex variants like an E-MU Teak or used TH600 or THX00 Ebony, that would be ideal IMO. The planars you mentioned like the Hifiman headphones aren't warm, but I do like the Sundara for the price; but it doesn't hit hard or have a ton of sub bass extension. The Audezes' have good bass and impact but if you want a wide soundstage those lower end Audezes' won't give you that. I find them too dark, muddy, and wonky sounding personally. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back