Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 27, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #11,328 of 12,322
Hi all. Sorry if the question has already been asked, I have not read all the posts (very rewarding thread!). The dt700 pro makes me want (need a closed headphone not too expensive). Has anyone ever listened it to our beloved musical genre? Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #11,330 of 12,322
Thank you. I will contact him.

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #11,332 of 12,322
Call me crazy, but I've yet to hear a headphone do metal as well as Porta Pros. There's something about the way the bass distorts and also guitar rings on Porta Pros that just makes it so mesmerizing and tugs at the heart strings with metal. I admit, you won't feel the kick of a drum like you would on a Verite Open or the snap of a snare like you would on an HD800, but the overall picture of the music is just awesome on the Porta Pro.

Mar 11, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #11,334 of 12,322
Interesting theme...

Everything in this hobby is subjective. For my taste, the TH-610 is wonderful, the best closed I've ever tried. And the Ananda, the best open. But the HD600, HD650, etc, I wouldn't want them for free (I'd just say they're only good to burn in hell they should never have come out of :metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).
I just finished listening to Tempo of the Damned by Exodus from the Sennheiser HD 6XX. Groovy and relaxed.

Completely different listening experience from Ananda, but great for different reasons.

The mids and the voice of Zetro never felt like this.

There is no mechanical precision of the Ananda, but perhaps it strikes with more realism and naturalness.

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #11,335 of 12,322
Hi all. Sorry if the question has already been asked, I have not read all the posts (very rewarding thread!). The dt700 pro makes me want (need a closed headphone not too expensive). Has anyone ever listened it to our beloved musical genre? Thank you
I have the same question. Did you get them?

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #11,336 of 12,322
Not yet. I have my sights set on the Aeon2 noire but it's a completely different budget! Eternal madness/wisdom dilemma !

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #11,337 of 12,322
(Posted something similar to this in the 2021 LCD-X/XC update threat, but thought I'd ask over here from a music angle, so apologies for overlap.)

I'm in a country without much of the more 'exotic' or indie stuff like DCA or Kennerton--it's mostly Denon, Audio Technica (mostly meh to me), Sony and Shure or Sennheiser. The old Audeze distributor is dumping, I think, 2019 LCD-XC's for a reasonable price (relative, they were hugely jacked up here) and I'm after a close back for mostly listening to metal/hard rock. Stuff like Disturbed, Tool, Rammstein, Asking Alexandria, Bring Me the Horizon, Symphony X, Gojira, Chevelle, Fire from the gods, Blind Guardian, etc. I don’t listen to doom or death or sludge or indie stuff much, and not really a lot of 80s stuff--I’m in my 30s, so I’m a product of the late 90s and early 2000s. I think I prefer clarity, hence XC's and a general planar preference, and really like when I hear/feel clear drums and present male vocals. Don’t need amazing female vocals. (FWIW, I have demoed Z7M2 and Shure 1540 and didn't like their recessed male vocals, felt the D7200 is similar, but clearer)

I could possibly look to import the 2021 version of the XC, but I really prefer to just buy locally and avoid the hassle of international shipping and potential warranty issues and import taxes and all that. What I wanted to confirm is how the previous model does with hard rock/metal with no EQ. I’d be running it off an iFi amp so have the bass button available for a little extra warmth (may upgrade later on if needed).

I've demoed D9200 and WP900 and plan to again just to scratch that itch--I've heard that with the right set up the 9200's can out resolve the XC, which is interesting and something I'm considering.

A completely different signature would be the Atticus, which I can order direct for about the same price as the XC, and would be an interesting option as I've read it's good for metal after reading multiple posts--just not sure how it does with fast drums.

More expensive planar closed backs like Kennerton Rognir and Hifiman 10P are way too expensive. My max is probably up to around $1.5k new (not interested in used). Demoed Celestee for kicks and found it boring, have seen issues with Radiance locally, so will stay away. Fostex 900 would be north of $2K new here.

Apologies on such a long post--this is meant to be my main headphone for the forseeable future (wife, toddler, etc so 'priorities') but not really able to demo a lot of the more interesting and exotic stuff you see in the USA. Can anyone share an impression of an older XC--maybe in relation to a the 9200 and Atticus--though I totally get they're three different sound signatures? Thank you!

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #11,338 of 12,322
I’d be running it off an iFi amp so have the bass button available for a little extra warmth (may upgrade later on if needed).

Out of curiosity, which one do you have? ZEN CAN? Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 15, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #11,339 of 12,322
(Posted something similar to this in the 2021 LCD-X/XC update threat, but thought I'd ask over here from a music angle, so apologies for overlap.)

I'm in a country without much of the more 'exotic' or indie stuff like DCA or Kennerton--it's mostly Denon, Audio Technica (mostly meh to me), Sony and Shure or Sennheiser. The old Audeze distributor is dumping, I think, 2019 LCD-XC's for a reasonable price (relative, they were hugely jacked up here) and I'm after a close back for mostly listening to metal/hard rock. Stuff like Disturbed, Tool, Rammstein, Asking Alexandria, Bring Me the Horizon, Symphony X, Gojira, Chevelle, Fire from the gods, Blind Guardian, etc. I don’t listen to doom or death or sludge or indie stuff much, and not really a lot of 80s stuff--I’m in my 30s, so I’m a product of the late 90s and early 2000s. I think I prefer clarity, hence XC's and a general planar preference, and really like when I hear/feel clear drums and present male vocals. Don’t need amazing female vocals. (FWIW, I have demoed Z7M2 and Shure 1540 and didn't like their recessed male vocals, felt the D7200 is similar, but clearer)

I could possibly look to import the 2021 version of the XC, but I really prefer to just buy locally and avoid the hassle of international shipping and potential warranty issues and import taxes and all that. What I wanted to confirm is how the previous model does with hard rock/metal with no EQ. I’d be running it off an iFi amp so have the bass button available for a little extra warmth (may upgrade later on if needed).

I've demoed D9200 and WP900 and plan to again just to scratch that itch--I've heard that with the right set up the 9200's can out resolve the XC, which is interesting and something I'm considering.

A completely different signature would be the Atticus, which I can order direct for about the same price as the XC, and would be an interesting option as I've read it's good for metal after reading multiple posts--just not sure how it does with fast drums.

More expensive planar closed backs like Kennerton Rognir and Hifiman 10P are way too expensive. My max is probably up to around $1.5k new (not interested in used). Demoed Celestee for kicks and found it boring, have seen issues with Radiance locally, so will stay away. Fostex 900 would be north of $2K new here.

Apologies on such a long post--this is meant to be my main headphone for the forseeable future (wife, toddler, etc so 'priorities') but not really able to demo a lot of the more interesting and exotic stuff you see in the USA. Can anyone share an impression of an older XC--maybe in relation to a the 9200 and Atticus--though I totally get they're three different sound signatures? Thank you!
Out of those. Probably the 9200, or the new XC. I wouldn't recommend almost any of the older Audeze models. The mid tonality is way off.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #11,340 of 12,322
Out of those. Probably the 9200, or the new XC. I wouldn't recommend almost any of the older Audeze models. The mid tonality is way off.
Thank you for the note. I’ve seen this general sentiment before but not an explanation. Are you able to elaborate or equate it with something? (I have a 660s and a Deva Pro if they might help to equate it to something). Or maybe in relation to a specific song or sub genre of metal (or any other style of music).

I don’t know if many people still feel this way but there seemed to be a camp in the Audeze forum that preferred the older signature to the more recent one—calling it more warm, from recollection.

Thank you! I’ll def demo the 9200 again regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back