Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #10,006 of 12,295
My go to for metal has always been the 1st Gen Beyer T-1's. My collection has grown since then (LCD3, Arya, HD650), but I keep coming back to these. They have the perfect amount of sharpness up top with an incredible midrange. The only areas it really could use some improvement are in the bass and depth of soundstage, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
With that said, are there any cans out there nowadays that would better the original T-1 while keeping the same sound signature?

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #10,007 of 12,295
I have never considered the T1. What are the differences between generations? I understand we are now at the 3rd generation.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #10,008 of 12,295
My rad 0 arrived today. Def my favourite headphones ever. They sound utterly fantastic with the metal I’ve thrown at them out of my hugo2

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #10,009 of 12,295
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #10,010 of 12,295
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #10,011 of 12,295
Just read your review. These headphones absolutely slay on black metal. Never heard better
Hmmm. Maybe I do need one more headphone after all... :) I love black metal.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #10,012 of 12,295
Hmmm. Maybe I do need one more headphone after all... :) I love black metal.
Yeah these are great for it. Great detail but not fatiguing at all

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #10,013 of 12,295
Yikes! 2600. for a set of cans...I'll stick to my bottom feeder options.
You guys are above my pay grade. I paid 1200. for a pair of used McCormack DNA .5 amps and thought that was a stretch...

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #10,014 of 12,295
Yikes! 2600. for a set of cans...I'll stick to my bottom feeder options.
You guys are above my pay grade. I paid 1200. for a pair of used McCormack DNA .5 amps and thought that was a stretch...
I recall when I first got into this hobby and found this thread, I felt the same way you do. Thought the members were nuts recommending $1500.00 headphones.
Now look at me! It has taken many, many years to build up my system the way I want it and find the sound that works for me.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #10,015 of 12,295
I´m going to buy new pair and i have 2 pair in mind Focal Clear and Zmf Aoelus. I have heard Clears and i know they can produce fast double bass drum without problem i just wonder can Aoelus do same. So basicly thats my question.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #10,016 of 12,295
I recall when I first got into this hobby and found this thread, I felt the same way you do. Thought the members were nuts recommending $1500.00 headphones.
Now look at me! It has taken many, many years to build up my system the way I want it and find the sound that works for me.
I'm not new to the hobby! I actually am\was a straight 2 channel guy that converted to headphones probably 7 years ago according to my join date here on Head-Fi.
I've had some decent cans like the HD600, X2HR and the DT880 but sold them off, right now I enjoy my DT990, HE400i and my Superlux hp's which I think are a great value for the money.
The Superlux HD672 are fantastic IMO with metal but I only paid 20 bucks for them and you guys probably won't give them the time of day!
I'm a bit old skool but I do have quite a bit of equipment. Four headphone amps and three external DAC's and six pairs of hp's. I program in manufacturing so I could afford anything (within reason) I want but am happy with my current crop.
Right now listening to some Dream Theater ~ Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on my new Monolith tube amp being fed from a Keces DAC with the aforementioned HD672 and enjoying every minute of it! Great hobby

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #10,017 of 12,295
Guys, I joined this thread hoping to find a good headphone for extreme metal. After following this thread for a while I understand RAD-O, Abyss, Final 8000, LCD-4...are the crowd favourites and I bet they sound out of this planet. Unfortunately that price tag is on top of Everest for some one like me. Can't imagine getting there not atleast in the next two years. I am sure y'all have started somewhere in the bottom so if there is a middle ground what would that be, maybe somewhere around $300-500 (even if that's not the mid, that's all I can atm) Used is fine as long as they can handle brutal death/grind, technical death metal, raw black/blackened death/death thrash and such radio friendly family music 😉 They shouldn't choke on extremely fast and busy sections, should not sound muddy on blast beats. Should have good seperation. It doesn't matter if they are open/closed. I am used to V and bright neutral tonality. I am ok with balanced sound but nothing too bassy.
Don't like emphasized bass which bleeds to lower mids. I would love to hear everything.
If there exist something that can satisfy a metalhead with a budget what would that be?
Appreciate you taking the time to read, hoping to have a few options from here. Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #10,018 of 12,295
Guys, I joined this thread hoping to find a good headphone for extreme metal. After following this thread for a while I understand RAD-O, Abyss, Final 8000, LCD-4...are the crowd favourites and I bet they sound out of this planet. Unfortunately that price tag is on top of Everest for some one like me. Can't imagine getting there not atleast in the next two years. I am sure y'all have started somewhere in the bottom so if there is a middle ground what would that be, maybe somewhere around $300-500 (even if that's not the mid, that's all I can atm) Used is fine as long as they can handle brutal death/grind, technical death metal, raw black/blackened death/death thrash and such radio friendly family music 😉 They shouldn't choke on extremely fast and busy sections, should not sound muddy on a blast beat. Should have good seperation. It doesn't matter if they are open/closed. I am used to V and bright neutral tonality.
Don't like emphasized bass which bleeds to lower mids. I would love to hear everything.
If there exist something that can satisfy a metalhead with a budget what would that be?
Appreciate you taking the time to read, hoping to have a few options from here. Thanks
I am in the same boat like you. I am looking for a closed back headphone. Maybe the fellow head-fi members are going to have some suggestions for us

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #10,020 of 12,295
I'm not new to the hobby! I actually am\was a straight 2 channel guy that converted to headphones probably 7 years ago according to my join date here on Head-Fi.
I've had some decent cans like the HD600, X2HR and the DT880 but sold them off, right now I enjoy my DT990, HE400i and my Superlux hp's which I think are a great value for the money.
The Superlux HD672 are fantastic IMO with metal but I only paid 20 bucks for them and you guys probably won't give them the time of day!
I'm a bit old skool but I do have quite a bit of equipment. Four headphone amps and three external DAC's and six pairs of hp's. I program in manufacturing so I could afford anything (within reason) I want but am happy with my current crop.
Right now listening to some Dream Theater ~ Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on my new Monolith tube amp being fed from a Keces DAC with the aforementioned HD672 and enjoying every minute of it! Great hobby
I still love my ancient AKG K240 sextetts, even though I have much more $$ headphones in my collection. They typically can be found for $75-125.00. theyre quite difficult to drive though. My vintage receivers slays them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back