Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #9,616 of 12,284
I know it's probably not going to help you, but if you are willing to go with a pair of IEM instead of closed headphones, my recommendation would be to try the Periodic Audio Be. I got rid of all my closed headphones after getting the Be. (Including the Meze 99 Classics)
Unfortunately, I can't do in ears. Wish I could

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #9,617 of 12,284
Monster's got me considering switching my order. However Zach said, "I personally would think if you like the presentation of open you likely will like the open more, as the closed does the things that closed headphones are known for, just better than most."

Has anyone besides Monsterzero and Hansotek preferred the Verite closed to the open? One issue is not all my listening time is metal. Lately it's been mostly psych pop, folk psych, space rock, post-punk, prog, etc. I mean I can see the point that closed cans can suit many types of metal quite well. A closed Abyss, for example, could be pretty amazing. I do have my open HE6se that I plan to keep indefinitely. Whether I get the VO or VC, if I love it, I could end up getting the other too at some point. Hrm...

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #9,618 of 12,284
Yes I'm not joking and I'm surprised that nobody is talking about the HD58X here. I bought them in December and my pair was made in Romania. I don't know if they have changed something since they have started to manufacture the HD58X in Romania but I like them better than the HD6XX, HD660s and HD600 with Metal music. Actually, I got rid of my pair of HD6XX after hearing the HD58X. To my ears, the bass of the HD58X is faster and is better extended than the HD6XX. I'm sure that a lot people still prefer the warm sound of the HD6XX but I just found the HD58X more fun. For someone who only listening to vocal or acoustic music I would probably recommend the HD6XX but for Metal/Prog I prefer the HD58X. I'm only using the ZMF Aeolus when I'm at home, but the HD58X are perfect for the office.

Regarding your question about gaming with the HD58X, I'm not really a gamer so it's a bit hard for me to answer your question.

6xx i got them .. the aren't metalhead ... don't heard58x , but 660 (should have same drivers?) i didn't liked them at all ... i prefer 4xx ... hope 58x sounds better than 660s

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #9,619 of 12,284
Has anyone besides Monsterzero and Hansotek preferred the Verite closed to the open?
You might hit up @Wildcatsare1 for his opinion. He isnt a metalhead,and listens to a wide range of genres,and owns both Verites.

EDIT: @Torq has both as well I believe.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #9,620 of 12,284
Does anyone have strong feelings on the Monoprice Thx 788 amp/ dac (model 24459)? It's received great reviews and I'm considering grabbing one second-hand. It'll be a little bright with my HE4XX, but I'll be upgrading to nicer headphones soon.

Any thoughts? The search function showed nothing, so apologies if this item had been discussed.

Tagging @Hansotek

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #9,621 of 12,284
6xx i got them .. the aren't metalhead ... don't heard58x , but 660 (should have same drivers?) i didn't liked them at all ... i prefer 4xx ... hope 58x sounds better than 660s

58X are the best sounding headphones I've heard so far at that pricepoint, and handle metal just fine IMO. I bought a couple as gifts this past year, got a third pair, which I'm currently offering as a prize in my campaign to get folks signed up for my site's newsletter, mainly semi-weekly updates on new releases. Link is in my sig.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #9,622 of 12,284
Hello guys,
long time stalker - first time posting here.

My dt 770 died few days ago so I need a replacement, preferably something better.

I am looking for something sort of specific. I listen to heavy / power metal and rock, but I need closed-back headphones so that I dont bother people around me. I also dont have 1000$ to burn...I see most people here recommend Audeze LCD-2 / ZMFs / Denon7200 / MR speakers from closed backs and tthose are way outside my price range.

Getting this out of the way, what would you recommend, for sub 500$, closed back that is good for metal.
I would drive them from a desktop / phone.

As I am in Europe I got access to all Senns and Beyerdynamics (As I am in Europe Massdrop and drop version of those are also out).
Fostex, or lets say Japanese made here are expensive as **** unless you find used.

I have explored somewhat and found that people usually get meze 99, DT 1770 or ATHs.
I could get at decent price the on used th-x00 (heard bad stuff about build quality though), Audeze EL-8 and SONY MDR-Z7.

Is there something I missed?
What would you recommend for closed back for like 400-500$?

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #9,623 of 12,284
Hello guys,
long time stalker - first time posting here.

My dt 770 died few days ago so I need a replacement, preferably something better.

I am looking for something sort of specific. I listen to heavy / power metal and rock, but I need closed-back headphones so that I dont bother people around me. I also dont have 1000$ to burn...I see most people here recommend Audeze LCD-2 / ZMFs / Denon7200 / MR speakers from closed backs and tthose are way outside my price range.

Getting this out of the way, what would you recommend, for sub 500$, closed back that is good for metal.
I would drive them from a desktop / phone.

As I am in Europe I got access to all Senns and Beyerdynamics (As I am in Europe Massdrop and drop version of those are also out).
Fostex, or lets say Japanese made here are expensive as **** unless you find used.

I have explored somewhat and found that people usually get meze 99, DT 1770 or ATHs.
I could get at decent price the on used th-x00 (heard bad stuff about build quality though), Audeze EL-8 and SONY MDR-Z7.

Is there something I missed?
What would you recommend for closed back for like 400-500$?

Thanks!
I find the Meze too relaxed for metal. Audio-technica have no sense of quality. Drop’s TH series are a big risk in this regard too. Audeze are much better at open-back. The MDR-Z7 is closed-back in name only, it’s one of the worst leakers I know.
Beyer’s Amiron Home is the opposite in this regard, it’s labeled open-back but behaves more like a semi-closed, big on soundstage and reasonable on leakage. It often gets discounted below $500. 250 ohm impedance though.
Look at Sony’s MDR-1AM2, it’s honestly better tuned than the Z7, easy to drive from a phone but scales decently with amping, an all-round great performer, energetic and detailed. The thread’s here.

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #9,624 of 12,284
I find the Meze too relaxed for metal. Audio-technica have no sense of quality. Drop’s TH series are a big risk in this regard too. Audeze are much better at open-back. The MDR-Z7 is closed-back in name only, it’s one of the worst leakers I know.
Beyer’s Amiron Home is the opposite in this regard, it’s labeled open-back but behaves more like a semi-closed, big on soundstage and reasonable on leakage. It often gets discounted below $500. 250 ohm impedance though.
Look at Sony’s MDR-1AM2, it’s honestly better tuned than the Z7, easy to drive from a phone but scales decently with amping, an all-round great performer, energetic and detailed. The thread’s here.

Interesting, I could run dt770 250 from the phone, so it shouldn't be an issue, its also sub 500e here so its within the price range.
Damn but Sony is 150e so this looks promissing! They even have it in a local store so ill go check it out.

On a side note, what do you think of B&O H6 compare to the other ones? Just tried them yesterday, but they seem to lack bass compared to dt770. Might need some burn in?

Thanks for help, ill stay a bit more around and check other comments for this price range before making final decision.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #9,625 of 12,284
I've only heard the B&O TOTL wireless one and that was one of the most dull sounding headphones I think I've heard. Bunch of unfamiliar music and I was thinking 'Hmmm, sounds OK' and then Billy Jean came on and I realised 'No, these are pretty terrible'. Maybe bass-light is their thing?

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #9,626 of 12,284
Interesting, I could run dt770 250 from the phone, so it shouldn't be an issue, its also sub 500e here so its within the price range.
Damn but Sony is 150e so this looks promissing! They even have it in a local store so ill go check it out.

On a side note, what do you think of B&O H6 compare to the other ones? Just tried them yesterday, but they seem to lack bass compared to dt770. Might need some burn in?

Thanks for help, ill stay a bit more around and check other comments for this price range before making final decision.
I think I tried out the H6 many years ago and wondered what was going on. Some parts of the frequency range, in the upper bass/lower mids, are completely scooped out - exhaustively so, to the point where I tried a song with Tricky as a guest and could not hear him at all. As if the song had been re-mastered to cut him out. Crazy bad. However I tried out the H9i recently (wireless) and found that pretty great, although it sticks to AAC. Easily as good as many wired options, with great attack and imaging. The newer H9 3rd gen is supposed to be even better tuned, but I haven't heard it.

Have a good listening session tomorrow, I’m curious to read your impressions.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #9,627 of 12,284
As much as I love the Z7 and Z7M2, I can't disagree with you on your recommendation of the 1AM2, it's a fantastic little can that is very easy to drive, but also scales quite nicely with better sources. It also comes with a balanced cable in the box, for when you do get a DAP or desktop amp/DAC that can utilize it, as well as a mobile friendly cable with built in mic.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #9,628 of 12,284
The Elacs, from what I've read, are good speakers when setup normally (at a reasonable height, away from walls, and several feet away), but not so great in a near-field setup.

Those small ELAC need a bit of air yes, on a desk cluttered with monitor, printer and whatever they're not in their optimal space.
And I say this even though I am a die hard ELAC fan. Stay away from Debut, they have made a serious error with that new line of speakers.

Other brands mentioned here - I do like KEF even though they are almost a world apart on how they reproduce sound.

Not mentioned: I got a pair of JS active speakers on my own desk, they are amazingly good for a low priced brand.
...even in the treble. I had them for years now, I did a search and the company still exist but build more profitable sound gear now.
Too bad - there's not any to my knowledge that offer really good active speakers for a computer.

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #9,629 of 12,284
I could get at decent price the on used th-x00 (heard bad stuff about build quality though)

Where did you hear that? I had one from the first run and was extremely happy with it, no issues. I gifted it to a friend when I wanted to try something else, and I still use my Denon D2000 at work, which I've had for a decade and no build issues (if you often toss yours in a backpack or something, then yeah, most of these won't be as sturdy as a beyer 770 or 1770 Pro). I was tempted to get the original D7000, but price went too high cuz of demand. I still think, say, a TR-X00 Ebony would be pretty sweet if you found one used.

I briefly sampled the NightOwl Carbon which was solid, and Campfire Cascade if you can get a good price. I still use my beyer DT 1990 Pro (open), and 177X Go might be an option for you, though haven't heard it myself. Since you liked the 770 Pro you'll likely be comfortable with another beyer -- the question is whether you want to try something totally different or not.

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #9,630 of 12,284
Where did you hear that? I had one from the first run and was extremely happy with it, no issues. I gifted it to a friend when I wanted to try something else, and I still use my Denon D2000 at work, which I've had for a decade and no build issues (if you often toss yours in a backpack or something, then yeah, most of these won't be as sturdy as a beyer 770 or 1770 Pro). I was tempted to get the original D7000, but price went too high cuz of demand. I still think, say, a TR-X00 Ebony would be pretty sweet if you found one used.

For th-x00 , and tr-x00, a lot of people on reddit complain that a hinge broke.

Mostly like this https://imgur.com/gOqmZnb

I would love to get a 177x go as I did try them from a friend, but shipping and import taxes bring it to around 600+ euros. I dont think its worth it.
When looking at Amazon its 470$ for them + 37.83$ shipping + 10% import + 20% VAT.... At least for Serbia

Found used purple heart, going to bid so we shall see :D

I also tried the Sony 1AM2 along with B&o H6 2nd gen. Liked them both, they are similar, Sony is a bit "quicker" I guess.
if I cant get the purple hearts ill get one of these most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back