Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #9,362 of 12,302
Anyone here heard the Verite closed for metal yet?

I'm kinda interested on The Atticus considering all the praise it gets for metal music, but i'm keen to know how the Verite closed fare.

I should have one coming in this month for review. I assume Hansotek will as well.

Aug 7, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #9,364 of 12,302
So what would be good portable headphones for a metal head?

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #9,365 of 12,302
Anyone here heard the Verite closed for metal yet?

I'm kinda interested on The Atticus considering all the praise it gets for metal music, but i'm keen to know how the Verite closed fare.
im not a big fan of the Atticus for metal. i need a little more bite...i think the Atticus is a little soft for metal personally.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #9,367 of 12,302
IEM? On ear? Over ear?

What kind of metal?

What’s the budget?

Also, what source/amp are you planning on pairing with? If upgrading a portable source/amp is a thought, what is the budget there?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #9,368 of 12,302
So what would be good portable headphones for a metal head?

If you're looking for very portable / wireless, I think the Sony 1000-xm3 is actually pretty good for metal. The mids are a bit recessed and the bass is relatively muddy on some tracks, but the overall presentation for metal is pretty decent. Especially in loud environments.

For non-wireless, the MSR7 driven from the DragonFly Red is a significant step up and really great for metal. It's just lacking a lot of bass slam, but kick drums still sound great. The treble detail and mids are really impressive for the price / size. The noise isolation on these is pretty weak however. I have the noise cancelling version, which helps a bit, but you'll still hear a lot of street noise, etc.

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #9,370 of 12,302
Periodic Audio Be IEMs are great for Metal and rock. They sound outstanding on any source but scale up very nicely.

Seems like beryllium may be the way to go for metal. I'm hoping to audition the Verite closed at some point and compare it to the Stellia, which I heard briefly at CanJam NY earlier this year. Metallica was the only metal I could find at the Focal booth, but the intro to One sounded incredible. The impact and speed of the transients on the gunfire and helicopter blades was impressive as was the bass impact of the mortar explosions.

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #9,371 of 12,302
Seems like beryllium may be the way to go for metal. I'm hoping to audition the Verite closed at some point and compare it to the Stellia, which I heard briefly at CanJam NY earlier this year. Metallica was the only metal I could find at the Focal booth, but the intro to One sounded incredible. The impact and speed of the transients on the gunfire and helicopter blades was impressive as was the bass impact of the mortar explosions.
Right on. The Be's have great detail in the bass and mid-bass with excellent extension, attack, weight and speed. Smooth detailed mids and nice clear, non fatiguing highs. And they are so forgiving. Even with their level of detail they compliment even the crappiest of recordings. Just love them.

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #9,372 of 12,302
im not a big fan of the Atticus for metal. i need a little more bite...i think the Atticus is a little soft for metal personally.

I'm looking for closed cans for work that does not give up too much in performance.

I have Utopia which has a lot of bites and vivid presentation, It's nice and all but very distracting when I'm trying to concentrate on doing something. So, being a little laid back is probably good for me.

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #9,373 of 12,302
If you're looking for very portable / wireless, I think the Sony 1000-xm3 is actually pretty good for metal. The mids are a bit recessed and the bass is relatively muddy on some tracks, but the overall presentation for metal is pretty decent. Especially in loud environments.

For non-wireless, the MSR7 driven from the DragonFly Red is a significant step up and really great for metal. It's just lacking a lot of bass slam, but kick drums still sound great. The treble detail and mids are really impressive for the price / size. The noise isolation on these is pretty weak however. I have the noise cancelling version, which helps a bit, but you'll still hear a lot of street noise, etc.

I have the Sony. The low end is way too sloppy for metal with any speed. For noise canceling, the B&O H9i, NAD HP70 and PSB M4U8 all perform better for most metal.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #9,374 of 12,302
I have the Sony. The low end is way too sloppy for metal with any speed. For noise canceling, the B&O H9i, NAD HP70 and PSB M4U8 all perform better for most metal.

Fair enough. I EQ down the bass to help with the muddiness, but I agree they are not fast headphones. It's more that I think the sound is serviceable given how good the ANC is.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other headphones. The NAD and PSB look interesting. How does the ANC compare to the 1000xm3? I'm often in environments where I need as much ANC as possible to be able to hear the music.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #9,375 of 12,302
Fair enough. I EQ down the bass to help with the muddiness, but I agree they are not fast headphones. It's more that I think the sound is serviceable given how good the ANC is.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other headphones. The NAD and PSB look interesting. How does the ANC compare to the 1000xm3? I'm often in environments where I need as much ANC as possible to be able to hear the music.

Sony’s ANC is a little better, I think. I’ve never been able to compare them directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back