Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #9,391 of 12,284
Bought Beyerdynamic DT-1990 yesterday and going to try them on some Metal this weekend. Initial impressions are VERY good bass extension, nice midrange/vocals and smooth highs. Music lineup: Primus-Pork Soda, Flotsam And Jetsam-Cuatro, Escape The Fate- Ungrateful, Anthrax- Armed and Dangerous

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #9,393 of 12,284
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #9,395 of 12,284
Would also need a custom speaker tap cable made as well. Thats a lot of stuff for a headphone that has dodgy quality control and strident treble. I had two drivers fail on me within nine months on a brand new pair.

Auteur is very good,as is Aeolus. I also really liked the the Stellia and I was rocking out last night on the new Verite closed. Big $ headphones,but damn good sounding.
Yes as I am a cable maker I never think That custom cables are required

I got old he6... Never had any issue in nearly 3 years that I got it...

Zmf ok they are no cheap but with an otl amp is a killer combo... Here my estro armonico otl with auteur...

To reach same qualiti amplification a lot much more money are needed for ss amp or tube with out transformer amp

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwPOotsAe2h/?igshid=1uhdehd8pt0o8

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #9,396 of 12,284
I listen to metal and rap almost exclusively. I’ve gone through a bunch of headphones, but I currently own Abyss TCs, Focal Utopias and Fostex th900mk2. They’re all great in their own ways, well except the Utopias with rap, but I think I’m gonna add in some ZMFs or maybe a Susvara.

For metal, how are the Vérité headphones? I’m open to the open or closed variety

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #9,398 of 12,284
For metal, how are the Vérité headphones? I’m open to the open or closed variety
I think the Verite closed(VC) is fantastic with every genre ive thrown at it. Its quick and snappy sounding. Fantastic tonailty,attack,slam,sub bass,you name it! Mids seem to be more intimate vs. VO.

For my tastes the VO sounds best with a pad/tube roll that gives it a more spacious 3D sound,which IMO doesnt necessarily lend itself to metal.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #9,399 of 12,284
Sep 8, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #9,400 of 12,284
Just got the new Tool album and the production is so good, I thought I'd get some new headphones. Been using Bose for years and want to try something better (don't really know what better is in this context). But I have Sony Z7M2 and grabbed two pairs of Focals to compare: Elegia and Elear. The Z7M2 sound good. Nice deep bass that bring life to the drums. But the mid range is a bit scooped/smooth. The Elegia have a fantastic mid range. Quite snappy. But lack low end. To the point where if I switch from the Sony to them mid-song, it sounds like I've switched on an AM radio. The Elears are nice. More of a lush low end and more spaciousness to the music (open back). But was wondering what else I might look at? Something with the Sony's bass and Elegia's mids and Elear's sweetness. Budget is... well I don't have a budget. But I don't think I can bring myself to drop $4K on headphones...

Using 24/96 AIFF files on Macbook Pro with Dragonfly Cobalt. Honestly, though... I haven't noticed a bit of difference with or without DAC. I do have another DAC on the way to try out, but I'm not gonna get a dedicated desktop DAC unit. Small portable USB ones only due to space limitations.

My reference tracks are Tesseract's "Nocturne" and Tool's "Pneuma" and "Chocolate Chip Trip" (drum solo).

Some recommendations others have mentioned are ZMF Atticus, Aeolus, and Audeze. I did try the Audeze LCD-2C and thought they were ok. But... meh, didn't really strike a chord. I'm not looking for a "hi-fi" can necessarily. Don't want super sterile 100% faithful reproduction of the music. Just want something that sounds punchy and authoritative and can handle high-gain guitar and let me feel the kick of the drums. The Sony's are real close. Just a bit too dark/scooped.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #9,402 of 12,284
Which headphones would you buy to listen to Death, Trash and Heavy Metal mainly but also Hard Rock? Budget about 1500$ (also used).
My favourite bands are Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, Death, Rammstein, Rainbow, Rolling Stones, Queen...

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #9,403 of 12,284
Which headphones would you buy to listen to Death, Trash and Heavy Metal mainly but also Hard Rock? Budget about 1500$ (also used).
My favourite bands are Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, Death, Rammstein, Rainbow, Rolling Stones, Queen...
What amp do you have?

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #9,404 of 12,284
What amp do you have?
I have a handmade custom solid state headphone amp (class A): 60 watts continuous power supply, up to 10 watts per channel. It has been tested (not by me) with Sennheiser HD800S, Focal Utopia, Audeze LCD-X e LCD-3, Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow with great results! Compared to Woo Audio WA5-LE it was better both in terms of speed and transparency, in depth and low range control.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #9,405 of 12,284
With that much power you may want to look into the Hifiman HE6,but beware of QC issues. Others I like in that price range are the ZMF Atticus/Aeolus/Auteur.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back