Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 23, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #9,421 of 12,302
I never get custom. Resale is impossible almost. If I could definitely say “I will love these forever” which I can’t lol, then I would go custom.
The Fourte is really good as well.

Yeah I hear you there, the A12t was my first and last custom. The fit on IEMs these days is (with the exception of 64 audio) pretty awesome. A lot of the universals are adopting that pseudo-custom fit, I’m liking it.

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #9,422 of 12,302
What about the Sony IER-Z1R, anyone heard those, or the slightly cheaper ones they released?

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #9,423 of 12,302
So I’ve owned a lot of IEMs and the Andromeda comes to mind as one of the best IEMs for metal, but they are uncomfortable (for me) are source dependent and those are really my only complains. Because of that I was looking at the Beyerdynamic Xelento Bluetooth, but I’m getting mixed reviews about how good those are for metal.
Has anyone heard the Xelento with metal, I’m a little worried that they may have too much bass...or is there maybe another IEM in the $1000+ range that is easy to drive, comfortable, durable and good with metal?

If you enjoy the Andromeda but don’t like the fit, you might like the Meze Rai Penta, which is also of the fairly neutral variety, but has incredible ergonomics.

For metal though, I would strongly recommend considering the Unique Melody Mirage, which is a fantastic all rounder and is extremely punchy and explosive. I reviewed it here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0619/Unique_Melody_Mirage_In_Ear_Monitor_Review.htm

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #9,425 of 12,302
Hi, I have an HD6XX, Schiit Modi 3, and JDS Labs Atom. I pretty much listen exclusively to death and thrash metal, and I've noticed that the music lacks intensity with my setup. It feels veiled or muted, almost like I could almost reach out touch it but something is in the way. Solos also don't hit as hard and seem less present, riffs feel less aggressive etc.

Otherwise, the sound quality is pretty good, I can hear most of the nuances. I just need help figuring out the problem here in my configuration. This setup I have is pretty much considered the "starter" setup for people getting into HiFi today, which is why I have it.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #9,426 of 12,302
Hey man,

that is an awesome starter setup, it’s pretty much the same one I had except I have the modi and Asgard 2 and the HD650. The great thing about the HD650s or your H6xx is that they pretty accurately reproduce music, the bad thing is that their accuracy makes them kinda boring. Honestly I’m not sure why that is, but they are one of the best headphones under $1000 but they just don’t move the soul very well. I think this is a pretty common feeling amongst HD650/6xx owners. I still own my HD650s and my Schiit stack years later and they still sound relevant, but yeah you are probably gonna have to try some different headphones to get flavor, but you aren’t doing anything wrong. I’d keep them as a reference point, but start thinking about what you’d add to the sound sig to make them better, then try to find that headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #9,427 of 12,302
Anyone heard the Elex or the DT1990 with metal? I've heard the Elex is so dynamic and brutally impactful that even at very low listening volumes it can make you physically sick - but that's what we look for in metal music. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #9,428 of 12,302
Hey man,

that is an awesome starter setup, it’s pretty much the same one I had except I have the modi and Asgard 2 and the HD650. The great thing about the HD650s or your H6xx is that they pretty accurately reproduce music, the bad thing is that their accuracy makes them kinda boring. Honestly I’m not sure why that is, but they are one of the best headphones under $1000 but they just don’t move the soul very well. I think this is a pretty common feeling amongst HD650/6xx owners. I still own my HD650s and my Schiit stack years later and they still sound relevant, but yeah you are probably gonna have to try some different headphones to get flavor, but you aren’t doing anything wrong. I’d keep them as a reference point, but start thinking about what you’d add to the sound sig to make them better, then try to find that headphone.

Thanks for your reply! So, it's definitely the headphones I'd want to change, not the DAC or AMP (sorry, I'm still a noob haha!)?

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #9,429 of 12,302
Thanks for your reply! So, it's definitely the headphones I'd want to change, not the DAC or AMP (sorry, I'm still a noob haha!)?

No worries! Your sources should be good enough to power most things, at the beginning the sources only really matter to make sure your tracks are clean and your headphones get the power they need to run properly. New headphones will make the most dramatic effect on your music. I don't know much about full-sized headphones, I mainly focus on IEMs and portable stuff if you want a suggestion there

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #9,430 of 12,302
Hi, I have an HD6XX, Schiit Modi 3, and JDS Labs Atom. I pretty much listen exclusively to death and thrash metal, and I've noticed that the music lacks intensity with my setup. It feels veiled or muted, almost like I could almost reach out touch it but something is in the way. Solos also don't hit as hard and seem less present, riffs feel less aggressive etc.

Otherwise, the sound quality is pretty good, I can hear most of the nuances. I just need help figuring out the problem here in my configuration. This setup I have is pretty much considered the "starter" setup for people getting into HiFi today, which is why I have it.

There's no reason to ever upgrade your DAC or AMP if all you're looking for is power and transparency. Put your money towards better headphones.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #9,431 of 12,302

There's no reason to ever upgrade your DAC or AMP if all you're looking for is power and transparency. Put your money towards better headphones.

This statement is full-on stupid. But I agree, the headphones should be the first priority right now.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #9,432 of 12,302

Your headphones are known for being a bit veiled/soft sounding. I'd aim for something with a bit more upper midrange presence. If I'm traveling back in time and putting myself in your shoes, I'd get an entry-level Stax combo like this one. Or an old normal bias Lambda with a SRD-7 and a cheap speaker amp. The little Topping t-amps are good for like $100. Either one of those would be a massive upgrade that will give you more transparency in the areas you're looking for.

Ultimately, I'd upgrade the DAC too, get a used Mojo or iFi iDSD instead.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #9,433 of 12,302
Your headphones are known for being a bit veiled/soft sounding. I'd aim for something with a bit more upper midrange presence. If I'm traveling back in time and putting myself in your shoes, I'd get an entry-level Stax combo like this one. Or an old normal bias Lambda with a SRD-7 and a cheap speaker amp. The little Topping t-amps are good for like $100. Either one of those would be a massive upgrade that will give you more transparency in the areas you're looking for.

I mean I don't think his first steps should be getting a new amp/dac, the Modi 3 isn't that bad of a DAC.

@decemberflower what is your budget and where do you want to use them?

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #9,434 of 12,302
This statement is full-on stupid. But I agree, the headphones should be the first priority right now.
The Atom is enough clean power for 99% of all use-cases. The Modi 3, while not the best DAC in the world, is good enough that it's doubtful any listener will be able to hear the difference between it and a more expensive but better performing upgrade.

There is no reason to get a Mojo over cheaper and better performing options.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #9,435 of 12,302
The Atom is enough clean power for 99% of all use-cases. The Modi 3, while not the best DAC in the world, is good enough that it's doubtful any listener will be able to hear the difference between it and a more expensive but better performing upgrade.

There is no reason to get a Mojo over cheaper and better performing options.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back