Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #9,304 of 12,284
I set up a mini virtual loudspeaker system with the interest of keeping the system as inexpensive as possible and using the least components and it's pretty impressive. Sharing this here because I'm sure alot of metalheads like to crankup speakers loud but can't so they use headphones and this does a damn fine job of approximating a loudspeaker system with a nice big front image and tactile response.

This is for PC use:
Motherboard optical out to a cheap optical splitter, or can use a usb to optical converter but best to find one that can do 24/48 as some cheaper ones can only do 16/44

1st split to an Audio-GD NFB-12 I picked up for $125

2nd split to a cheap optical dac and a Lepai LP-168HA, using the subwoofer output of that unit for the crossover and using 2 Dayton puck bass shakers mounted to the chair frame(just zip ties to a gaming chair in my case).

Using Out of Your Head and a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Primes eqd with equalizerapo. Of course it doubles as a very nice virtual surround system for games and movies. This is probably the cheapest I've managed to get this kind of setup while still retaining enough fidelity for music, where using feedback opamps and dynamic drivers made music less enjoyable(i.e. prefered normal stereo headphone listening compared to the virtualization), low latency due to not using voicemeter, no worry of ground loops using rca splitters, and being able to use a single dac/amp unit for headphones.

You can use Waves NX or Hesuvi but OOYH sounds best. Equalization of the headphones to have a fairly flat uncompensated response is necessary. And the key with the loudspeaker virtualization is speed, especially running metal(and especially lofi death, black, grind) through the renderer, you want fast short circuits, i.e. non feedback current signal with fast power delivery, and fast transducers like planar magnetics and electrostats.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #9,305 of 12,284
I set up a mini virtual loudspeaker system with the interest of keeping the system as inexpensive as possible and using the least components and it's pretty impressive. Sharing this here because I'm sure alot of metalheads like to crankup speakers loud but can't so they use headphones and this does a damn fine job of approximating a loudspeaker system with a nice big front image and tactile response.

This is for PC use:
Motherboard optical out to a cheap optical splitter, or can use a usb to optical converter but best to find one that can do 24/48 as some cheaper ones can only do 16/44

1st split to an audio gd nfb12 I picked up for $125

2nd split to a cheap optical dac and a lepai 168, using the subwoofer output of that unit for the crossover and using 2 dayton puck bass shakers mounted to the chair frame(just zip ties to a gaming chair in my case).

Using Out of Your Head and a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Primes eqd with equalizerapo. Of course it doubles as a very nice virtual surround system for games and movies. This is probably the cheapest I've managed to get this kind of setup while still retaining enough fidelity for music, where using feedback opamps and dynamic drivers made music less enjoyable(i.e. prefered normal stereo headphone listening compared to the virtualization), low latency due to not using voicemeter, no worry of ground loops using rca splitters, and being able to use a single dac/amp unit for headphones.

You can use Waves NX or Hesuvi but OOYH sounds best. Equalization of the headphones to have a fairly flat uncompensated response is necessary. And the key with the loudspeaker virtualization is speed, especially running metal(and especially lofi death, black, grind) through the renderer, you want fast short circuits, i.e. non feedback current signal with fast power supply delivery, and fast transducers like planar magnetics and electrostats.

Nice write-up.
Do you have the ability to use the shakers with headphones? Ive been tossing around the idea for quite some time of picking up a shaker to incorporate into my recliner(im an old metal head) and have it running with headphones.
I keep putting it off cuz im spending all my cash on tubes recently,but I only have one more "must-have" tube to purchase,and then I can begin to focus on other aspects of my set-up.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #9,306 of 12,284
Do you have the ability to use the shakers with headphones?

Yup, thats the reason for the optical splitter, it sends the same signal simultaneously to two separate dacs. Other options for using shakers at the same time are splitting the signal after a dac, or using voicemeter tocduplicate the signal.

Thanks to @johnn29 for sharing about the optical splitter.

The shakers attached at the right part of the chair frame, crossed over, and at a good level blend very nicely with headphones.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #9,307 of 12,284
Good to hear. If you dont mind can you PM me the link to the shakers you purchased,as well as a photo or two of the shakers placed on your chair?
My only issue is trying to find one small enough to fit into my chair.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #9,308 of 12,284
Good to hear. If you dont mind can you PM me the link to the shakers you purchased,as well as a photo or two of the shakers placed on your chair?
My only issue is trying to find one small enough to fit into my chair.
Ill put it here just in case anyone else is interested, hopefully i dont get yelled at for going off topic ;]

The pucks are the cheapest
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...le-transducer-mini-bass-shaker-8-ohm--300-386

I had used 2 of these because I got them on sale for the same price as the pucks and the mounting holes made it ez to zip tie them to the chair
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...wer-pro-tactile-bass-shaker-50-watts--295-244

but at the current price the aura pro is probably a better option
https://www.parts-express.com/aura-ast-2b-4-pro-bass-shaker-tactile-transducer--299-028
but its bigger and mounting it might be a bit more involved. The lepai 168 should be able to power a single aura pro without issue.

Theres all sorts of ways to mount them to chairs, e.g. put the shaker on a board and attached the board to the frame. You just wanna get them on the frame.

as they get more expensive the response is flatter and they extend lower, but of course require much larger amplifiers.

I also added some binding posts to the desk so i could detach the chair from it(make sure the amp is off when doing this though!)

You can also pick up a used graphic eq for $30 like an art 31 band and smooth out the response

20190706_164717.jpg 20190706_163937.jpg 20190706_164619.jpg 20190706_164224.jpg 20190706_164009.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #9,309 of 12,284
And heres on the back of a larger recliner screwed into the wood

20190706_171747.jpg

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #9,313 of 12,284
Interesting, most people are saying that it is warm, could be too warm for reference in fact.

Is it bright in the guitar area or more for the cymbals and stuff.

I'm gonna listen to it next weekend

It was a little bright it the mids. It might not bother you the way it bothered me, but I’d have a hard time listening to it for more than a few minutes.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #9,314 of 12,284
Anyone heard the Stellia with metal?

I have the Stellia here on loan,and I really like it,not just for metal,but for pretty much all genres that I listen to.
Its def brighter than my ZMF headphones,as well as other high end headphones,like the Empyrean,but I dont find it to be bothersome at all,unlike say,the HE-6,which did bother me a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back