Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 7, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #9,271 of 12,295
As a closed can option I’ve heard some say Atticus with suede pads (from reviews it tones down the slam a bit) are a good $1000+ option. I’ve also scoured the web for as many Auteur vs Aeolus articles and different ZMF pads and tube vs SS amps further complicate which one might be for you, however I try to take all reviewers opinion with a grain of salt. ZMF headphones are on my list but will require a drive to a meet or possibly ZMF to audition them. I’d even consider the Vérité but my gut feeling seems to lean towards the Biocellulose driver. The main driving force behind wanting to add a ZMF is the fact @zach915m use to build acoustic guitars or maybe it was electric too, and I can’t think of a better creator of a headphone for live acoustic guitar music; top 3 favorite genres.

May 7, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #9,272 of 12,295
Yeah after doing some more research and also finding the frequency response graphs for both and alphas and the zmf lineup, its obvious to me that the auteur is exactly what I'm looking for. It really solidified my choice honestly, as did your input. I feel like thats a solid headphone I can use and over time upgrade the rest of my chain, and it will keep up with those changes. Thanks for the help guys!

I have the Alpha Primes and dont often use them for regular stereo music listening, but they get used regularly for music with Out of Your Head. They're definitely an analytical headphone, fast and resolving, with a reference curve, unforgiving, but theyve got awesome staging and imaging that plays really well with the real time binaural rendering. If you're using a pc, give this a try you might enjoy it, I use it 100% of the time for music with my desktop systems.

This program: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

This equalizer: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

This is the eq i use with the alpha primes, only with OOYH, though.
2.png

May 8, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #9,273 of 12,295
As a closed can option I’ve heard some say Atticus with suede pads (from reviews it tones down the slam a bit) are a good $1000+ option. I’ve also scoured the web for as many Auteur vs Aeolus articles and different ZMF pads and tube vs SS amps further complicate which one might be for you, however I try to take all reviewers opinion with a grain of salt. ZMF headphones are on my list but will require a drive to a meet or possibly ZMF to audition them. I’d even consider the Vérité but my gut feeling seems to lean towards the Biocellulose driver. The main driving force behind wanting to add a ZMF is the fact @zach915m use to build acoustic guitars or maybe it was electric too, and I can’t think of a better creator of a headphone for live acoustic guitar music; top 3 favorite genres.

I have a Verite and an Empyrean and I still haven't been able to convince myself to sell my zebrawood Atticus as originally planned, for what it's worth. Metal and punk make up 85% of what I generally listen to, and I haven't heard another headphone that does doom/sludge metal like the Atticus. The Empy beat them on faster technical stuff, but for a super thick, crushing tone I always grab the Atticus. Mine have the standard lambskin pads, haven't heard them with anything else.

May 8, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #9,274 of 12,295
I have a Verite and an Empyrean and I still haven't been able to convince myself to sell my zebrawood Atticus as originally planned, for what it's worth. Metal and punk make up 85% of what I generally listen to, and I haven't heard another headphone that does doom/sludge metal like the Atticus. The Empy beat them on faster technical stuff, but for a super thick, crushing tone I always grab the Atticus. Mine have the standard lambskin pads, haven't heard them with anything else.
Have you heard the aeolus ?

May 9, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #9,276 of 12,295
With all that additional context, I’d get the Auteur, which has flatter, more extended bass and is especially good with drums. Get a harder wood like Cocobolo, if you can swing it, to max out the impact.

Does the cup material really make a significant audible difference on these? How do the ambrosia and silk wood versions compare? I've been eyeing the auteur for a while now given all the great things I've read about ZMF headphones, But at the price of the cocobolo auteur I'm almost tempted to spring for the verite...

May 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #9,277 of 12,295

I got Auteur and auteur + otl amp is an amazing combo ... one friend just took the veritè and already has the aeolus (my aeolus should arrive this month to me) he says that aeolus is more metal oriented than veritè

May 11, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #9,278 of 12,295
Does the cup material really make a significant audible difference on these? How do the ambrosia and silk wood versions compare? I've been eyeing the auteur for a while now given all the great things I've read about ZMF headphones, But at the price of the cocobolo auteur I'm almost tempted to spring for the verite...

It’s not a huge difference, but it’s noticeable. The effect is mostly related to damping, which has a direct correlation to bass impact. A heavier, harder wood has better damping, so it’s going to hit a little bit harder with a little more pinpoint spot of impact. You can always ask @zach915m which woods have the best bass impact out of his current stock. I’ve heard most of the woods, but haven’t spent significant time with all of them, he has.

I got my Auteur in Blackwood and my Verite in Zircote, which both hit super hard and fast.

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #9,279 of 12,295
I have Utopias, TH900mk2, LCD-2, HD800, RS1e all going through a Hugo 2 (soon to be Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler). For me, the Utopias (with Lazuli Reference) through a Hugo 2 with the Warm filter on, is breathtaking for metal (The guitars on both With The Dead albums sound so crunchy and good).

While I'm happy with my current lineup of headphones, I'm always looking for something better. Given what I have, how would you all compare the Abyss 1266 Phi TC or Meze Empyeran for metal listening?

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #9,280 of 12,295
I have Utopias, TH900mk2, LCD-2, HD800, RS1e all going through a Hugo 2 (soon to be Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler). For me, the Utopias (with Lazuli Reference) through a Hugo 2 with the Warm filter on, is breathtaking for metal (The guitars on both With The Dead albums sound so crunchy and good).

While I'm happy with my current lineup of headphones, I'm always looking for something better. Given what I have, how would you all compare the Abyss 1266 Phi TC or Meze Empyeran for metal listening?

What kind of metal? Utopia with the Lazuli Reference is a monster combo.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #9,281 of 12,295
What kind of metal? Utopia with the Lazuli Reference is a monster combo.
I mostly like Funeral Doom, DSBM, "aggressive" Black Metal, Death Metal, sludge and some Grindcore

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #9,282 of 12,295

I haven't heard the Abyss, but I had the Empyrean for a time. They are super, super fast, with excellent punch in the low end yet are very spacious with their sound stage. If that's the experience you want, you'd be hard pressed to beat it, though it comes with a hefty price tag obviously. However...

I mostly like Funeral Doom, DSBM, "aggressive" Black Metal, Death Metal, sludge and some Grindcore

While I don't have explicit complaints about the midrange on the Empyrean, I found it average and more importantly that it takes a little bit of a backseat. It's a YMMV to be sure, but I am a huge guitar guy and when comparing them directly with my Verite and Atticus, it was obvious that the guitar sound was vastly superior on those two. For Doom/Sludge, I've yet to hear anything better than the Atticus. Guitars are so present, and everything is so thick; it's the perfect pairing for me. The Verite are faster, so I'll usually turn to them (I sold the Empyrean) for more techy stuff and I'm satisfied. Again though, probably depends what you like about the genres. I'm a guitars and mood guy first and foremost.

Jun 7, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #9,283 of 12,295
I haven't heard the Abyss, but I had the Empyrean for a time. They are super, super fast, with excellent punch in the low end yet are very spacious with their sound stage. If that's the experience you want, you'd be hard pressed to beat it, though it comes with a hefty price tag obviously. However...

While I don't have explicit complaints about the midrange on the Empyrean, I found it average and more importantly that it takes a little bit of a backseat. It's a YMMV to be sure, but I am a huge guitar guy and when comparing them directly with my Verite and Atticus, it was obvious that the guitar sound was vastly superior on those two. For Doom/Sludge, I've yet to hear anything better than the Atticus. Guitars are so present, and everything is so thick; it's the perfect pairing for me. The Verite are faster, so I'll usually turn to them (I sold the Empyrean) for more techy stuff and I'm satisfied. Again though, probably depends what you like about the genres. I'm a guitars and mood guy first and foremost.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been interested in ZMF cans for a while, but not specifically the the Atticus (I was considering the Verite previously though). I just checked and the Atticus is definitely priced right for me. I need to hear what the Abyss PHi TC sounds like, but for the same price I could get the Empyreans and Atticus headphones and still have money left over...lol. Those 1266 Phi TCs better be the best sounding headphones ever for the $5K price (and that's for the "lite" version....)

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #9,284 of 12,295
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been interested in ZMF cans for a while, but not specifically the the Atticus (I was considering the Verite previously though). I just checked and the Atticus is definitely priced right for me. I need to hear what the Abyss PHi TC sounds like, but for the same price I could get the Empyreans and Atticus headphones and still have money left over...lol. Those 1266 Phi TCs better be the best sounding headphones ever for the $5K price (and that's for the "lite" version....)

The Phi models are sick for sure. I had the original Abyss, but it kinda went back on the shelf after the ZMF dynamics came out. Wearing the Abyss is a bit of a chore, and the ZMFs punch really hard with a DanaCable, which scratches a lot of that itch, plus they are infinitely more comfortable and the mids are God-tier.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #9,285 of 12,295

That's a droolworthy collection for sure! Where a relative newbie like me pauses, and bearing in mind I haven't auditioned all of the gear you mention, is that apart from the Fostex it sounds almost like a progger's dream. I don't mean in the sense of slightly risible 4 o'clock concerts and fringe hairstyles; rather as in lean, precise, technical. Apart from grindcore I'm into the same genres you mentioned, and pretty much in that order too. I am forced to use closed-back hps or iems in my small Parisian apartment, but actually enjoy them a lot for studio-recorded metal. I'm not big on Focal or Sennheiser - both are big in France, so chalk that up to the same contrary spirit that makes me enjoy Forgotten Tomb I guess?

Having heard the Utopia and Audeze, I would rate the Empyrean as a sidegrade. Precision is their selling point for me, but you don't lack that obviously in your collection.
The Abyss give the best soudstage I have ever heard; where the best open-back sound like you've strapped loudspeakers to your ears, the Abyss feel like a proper concert venue has been grafted to your head. They are beyond holographic - you 're just there, like your ears and brain have travelled through space/time and you're in attendance - well you got my point. Amazing for jazz and classical. Not a game-changer for studio recordings.

I have never heard ZMF gear but from following this thread I fear the day I will - my hi-fi purchases tend to top out around $600 but a part of me in the market for something more expensive, closer to TOTL. I just haven't heard anything that justifies spending crazy money to upgrade from my Final Audio Pandora Hope VI or IMR R1 iems. So the Eikon and Atticus both beckon and threaten... Well actually I have one upgrade path in mind, which is the Hifiman Susvara. That's ten times the cost of already great headphones, and from what you wrote not quite the price range you're looking into. I'd still urge to audition them in case you never have, the sense of control, of effortless power is well-suited to metal.

Other than that there is the Sonorous line from Final. The distinguishing feature of my VI is their vectoriality, they present music as a flow, rushing through, racing forward - I don't need to explain why that can be great for metal. It does soundstage well too, so it's a sort of best-of-both-worlds combination. The even better Sonorous VIII or X could really please you and depart from your current tunings.

PS: you weren't kidding about that crunch on With the Dead

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back