Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 15, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #9,241 of 12,293
Would audeze lcd 2 classic be decent with cayin n8 for metal? I really want some open backs so that I can still hear my wife.

Never heard the cayin buti find Lcd2c quite easy to drive... Sounds good even with the dragonfly red... Obviously they can perform better...

The old lcd2 Rev 2 instead require a. Much more sophisticated amp to shine

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #9,242 of 12,293
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely more inclined towards iems. How is R1 Zenith comfort wise?
You’re welcome! The R1 are my favorite audio find of the last 12 months, I’m happy to maybe spread the joy, especially to fellow metal-heads who have iems pretty much tailor-made for metal in these.

The cable is worn behind the ear; it was updated for the Zenith and is now thinner and more flexible (I love the thick rubber cable on the original R1 but I’m in the minority - judging by the thread possibly a minority of one).
The nozzle is on the larger side, not the 1-2 mm balanced-armature type, but within the norm so with the right tips it won’t pose a problem unless you have very narrow ear canals.
There are no weird angles or protruding parts or anything, so general comfort again comes down to finding the right tips. They respond well to Comply, although here I prefer silicone tips. Hybrid Symbio tips are often mentioned too.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #9,245 of 12,293
How about the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir? How's that for metal? Mainly Black, Doom, and Symphonic.
I have the 99 Classics but I believe they are the exact same but different wood, not even changed any tuning. I'm more into prog, death and power, but I listen a bit of black, doom and symphonic too and I globally like them. They are warm and really damn fun to listen to! For 200 USD they are a steal, I paid 320 euros back in the day for mine.

Edit: There's some talk about the pads. I don't know which I got (old or new), but they were not very comfortable after a couple hours, my ears would touch the driver and stuff. Got some angled sheepskin Brainwavz pads and comfort increased heavily. Sound changed a bit, but I don't remember now what the subtle differences were.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #9,246 of 12,293
Thank you! They do look very interesting with all the options to customize them with their filters.
May I also suggest you look at the Meze Audio RAI Penta. They’re fantastic with metal (and practically everything else, it seems) and they’re small and don’t protrude much, which makes them great for bed even when you’re laying on your side...

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #9,247 of 12,293
Hi Guys,

What are the most comfortable headphones in $600-$1000 range for metal? Plugged directly into phone.. I'm looking for something to use in bed before sleeping. Closed back or iems should do. Some options I have found:
Aeon Flow Closed
Beyerdynamic T5p Second Gen
Campfire Andromeda

I may be a little all over the place. Need some guidance :D

I've been using Denon AH-D1000 for ten years for bedtime listening. Smaller headphones, less awkward to lie back on pillow with. Lately my S.O. swiped em for work so I've been using my Aeon, which are heavier, but still comfortable.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #9,248 of 12,293
I've been using Denon AH-D1000 for ten years for bedtime listening. Smaller headphones, less awkward to lie back on pillow with. Lately my S.O. swiped em for work so I've been using my Aeon, which are heavier, but still comfortable.
Thank you. Do you use an amp with Aeon?

May 1, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #9,249 of 12,293
Thank you. Do you use an amp with Aeon?

Yes, I plug it into the PS Audio Sprout in the bedroom, which works fine, though not outstanding, and for travel, my Astell & Kern AK Jr. It also worked just fine with iPhone and movies on my Amazon Fire Kindle.

May 3, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #9,250 of 12,293
Have anyone tried the XD200 Multi Driver Deep Bass Noise Isolating Professional Earbuds? I got them free from The Modern Almanac, only paid shipping. My gut tells me you get what you pay for. However, they sounded decent if a bit weird upon arrival. I have them on my computer at home right now pushing pink noise. I figure a day or so of burn in could help. The fit is strange, as they don't come with any replacement tips. If feels as if they don't go all the way into the ear canal. And the sound was weird. It made recordings sound "live". I'm listening to FLAC on a FiiO x7 ii. I'm a headphone noob, so I really don't know what I'm hearing. I'll revisit when it's been on for a day or 2.

Also, I listen to so much good stuff that I don't have 1 good song that I compare headphones to. I need one.

XD200

May 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #9,251 of 12,293
I'm looking for the best headphone under $500 for Power, Doom, Thrash and Traditional Metal. Currently looking at the Verum 1, Sundara, and Meze 99. I'm leaning towards the Verum since the sound signature sounds boss and it's so DIY and weird, but I have to wait over a month to get it and there aren't a lot of reviews out. Sundara was my favorite until I found out about the Verum, but it's probably my safest bet unless it shows up broken. Meze, I'm thinking I'll just pick up some Noirs along with Sundara/Verum, but I keep hearing the original is better.

Can anyone set me straight? New options? Best option?

May 4, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #9,252 of 12,293
I'm looking for the best headphone under $500 for Power, Doom, Thrash and Traditional Metal. Currently looking at the Verum 1, Sundara, and Meze 99. I'm leaning towards the Verum since the sound signature sounds boss and it's so DIY and weird, but I have to wait over a month to get it and there aren't a lot of reviews out. Sundara was my favorite until I found out about the Verum, but it's probably my safest bet unless it shows up broken. Meze, I'm thinking I'll just pick up some Noirs along with Sundara/Verum, but I keep hearing the original is better.

Can anyone set me straight? New options? Best option?
source?

Im really liking a phone into a dragonfly black into a Periodic Audio Ni into HD6xxs, nothings been able to pull me away from the Mobius, when I'm not using desktop systems, for months, this did it though. full rich pure sound, very nice combo. The Nis an insane little amplifier, listenting to Nile and it doesnt miss a beat.

Definitely try both dynamics and planars, very different sound.

May 5, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #9,253 of 12,293
Hey guys, I've been out of the forum for a bit just content with my setup until recently. Basically my alpha primes are just not the most comfortable to wear for my head (its the lack of earcup tilt of all things, and its sound signature while great has gotten more and more fatiguing over the years with my music. I listen to lots of different metal genres, as well as some electronic stuff like ambient bass heavy, but mainly metal. Bands like periphery, within the ruins, devin townsend, trivium, meshuggah, older In Flames, animals as leaders, amon amarth, etc. Also lots of youtube/netflix viewing, just so I can paint the full usage picture here.

I have been looking at the zmf lineup, watched some reviews, listened to Z-reviews sound demos (been watching him since his first vid actually), and have a general idea of where they land. My question is two-fold: if going with zmf I am trying to decide between the aeolus and auteur (verite is outside the price range for me), and secondly if theres another headphone brand/model I should consider thats in this same price range and overall quality level. especially with the auteur it is real tough to find impressions of how it works with the kind of metal I listen to. while the aeolus I know would work, but from the sound demos, and just general impressions it might get a bit too lacking in certain detail/instrument separation/ depth overall, that I really like hearing. I basically want a less fatiguing alpha prime with better imaging, either neutral or tilted slightly warm. Obviously you can see how that landed me with zmf lol.

Also I will be selling both my amp (v281) and the alpha primes to help buy the new setup. I'm going full setup overhall, besides the dac. Any advice to point me one way or another, and help make my choice a bit more clear would be wonderful.

May 5, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9,254 of 12,293
Also I will be selling both my amp (v281) and the alpha primes to help buy the new setup. I'm going full setup overhall, besides the dac. Any advice to point me one way or another, and help make my choice a bit more clear would be wonderful.

Wait,so youre getting another amp,or no? Gotta have an amp for ZMF.

if going with zmf I am trying to decide between the aeolus and auteur

Both will work for what you like. I had both the Auteur and Aeolus here for review purposes and ended up buying the Auteur. I was listening last night to Mike Ness(not metal,I know) Godgory and Amon Amarth on the Auteur and the guitar really shines. Bass has good impact.

To boil it down in simple terms,the Auteur is more neutrally tuned than the Aeolus. Aeolus has more slam,but for me,I didnt need that as my Verite has that covered(regardless of what Z says)

Either is an excellent choice.

May 5, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #9,255 of 12,293
For a cheap date, the AKG K240 Sextett is a very unique listening experience IMO. I’m glad I found out about them on here and bought a pair on eBay. No, they’re not an Aeolus or an Auteur, but a lot of fun for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back