Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 5, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #9,211 of 12,302
Not to get off-topic... hah.
Yuki is a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie). Not quite four years old yet. She has a bi-color black/white "blue merle" coat of fur and two different color eyes (blue/brown). Don't let her innocent looks deceive you, she is pure evil.
Who needs metal headphones when you have the ultimate METAL DOG?

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #9,212 of 12,302
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #9,213 of 12,302
Speaking of metal dogs, this convo reminded me of a quick story... my old office had a white elephant Secret Santa we’d take way too far every year. One year I drew the name of the only other metalhead in the office - my friend Angela - who was a huge dog lover as well. I combined both into an epic calendar for her.

I still have the uncropped images up on Dropbox, if anybody wants to see them. I’ll drop a link and the cover image here for ya:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvnvjnnmxc7374s/AADz081vFVYICxg_liYYSetpa?dl=0

B9E2C776-5F3F-4B12-84BC-984B1F2F5CBC.jpeg

Apr 6, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #9,214 of 12,302
Speaking of metal dogs, this convo reminded me of a quick story... my old office had a white elephant Secret Santa we’d take way too far every year. One year I drew the name of the only other metalhead in the office - my friend Angela - who was a huge dog lover as well. I combined both into an epic calendar for her.

I still have the uncropped images up on Dropbox, if anybody wants to see them. I’ll drop a link and the cover image here for ya:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvnvjnnmxc7374s/AADz081vFVYICxg_liYYSetpa?dl=0

Nice.
Dogs are the best thing in the world...even better than headphones and metal. *GASP*

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #9,215 of 12,302
I like these a lot. I just bought a pair myself as I have a ton of travel coming up.

As a follow-up 1st impression since my pair arrived... Love the noise cancelling. Really nice sound sig. Bass is a little bit on the slow side, but is nice and heavy, if you're listening loudly. Sound signature-wise I would say the NAD HP70 and PSB M4U8 are better tuned to metal and all-around music listening, having a little quicker, less bloated bass and a less congested midrange, but in terms of the total package (battery life, quick charge option, touch controls, comfort, noise cancelling quality) the Sony is the better total package. If I was assigning ratings, it would pretty much be a flip-flop of scores:

Sony WH1000 Mk3:
Sound: 7.0
Total Package: 9.5

PSB M4U8 / NAD HP70:
Sound: 9.5
Total Package: 7.0

However, I think there are so many thing to consider in the total package, the Sony comes out ahead. 30hrs of battery life vs 8hrs and increased comfort are a big deal at the end of the day. It's close between the two... really depends on one's priorities, I suppose.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #9,217 of 12,302
Anyone with a Hugo 2 or Quetest or really any other good DAC has a Carbon amp and a Stax headphone for metal? I really don't know which Stax headphone is the best for metal and I'm sure there will be mixed opinions. But I'm hoping that there are several others that have the Carbon amp, a decent DAC, and a Stax headphone. I just need to know which headphone you like and I'll see which one most people recommend. From a few days of research, I thought the SR-007mk2 (usa model) would be the best match, but some have told me that it can be muddy for a Stax headphone and to get the L700 or the 009S. I was hoping to save some money by not having to buy the TOTL Stax model, but if most of the people say that is much better and it's the best for metal, then I'd just buy it and not wonder every day what I'm missing out on. I'm old and have just enough cash to go with the best Stax offers, but if others say that the lower models are better at metal, I'd be thrilled.

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #9,218 of 12,302
Anyone with a Hugo 2 or Quetest or really any other good DAC has a Carbon amp and a Stax headphone for metal? I really don't know which Stax headphone is the best for metal and I'm sure there will be mixed opinions. But I'm hoping that there are several others that have the Carbon amp, a decent DAC, and a Stax headphone. I just need to know which headphone you like and I'll see which one most people recommend. From a few days of research, I thought the SR-007mk2 (usa model) would be the best match, but some have told me that it can be muddy for a Stax headphone and to get the L700 or the 009S. I was hoping to save some money by not having to buy the TOTL Stax model, but if most of the people say that is much better and it's the best for metal, then I'd just buy it and not wonder every day what I'm missing out on. I'm old and have just enough cash to go with the best Stax offers, but if others say that the lower models are better at metal, I'd be thrilled.

I really like the SR-207s. theyre a little bass light(compared to the smaller mid bump and larger treble bump) with no eq, but the extension is perfect(flat to 10hz) and it's insanely detailed fast and articulate. Their ability to pull out buried undistorted bass lines in metal mixes is impressive. They take to any eq you give them so you can shape the signature however you want. When using a binaural renderer and fast distorted metal, no other headphone I've tried comes close in detail and naturalness of the loudspeaker emulation. While they're very open sounding and imaging is immaculate, their soundstage size is small/close, compared to the open planars with deep velour pads.

I havent tried the 007s or 009s, but from measurements and descriptions id go with the 009.

DAC is an Audio-GD NFB-7.

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #9,219 of 12,302
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #9,220 of 12,302

Yeah, I actually have a Chord Hugo 2 and a KGSSHV Carbon. I’d recommend grabbing the L700 or L300 Limited Edition. The Limited Edition has the same drivers as the L700 but with L500 pads and an L300 body. It sounds very similar to the L700, but costs a good bit less, if you want to save a little scratch. Both have a little bit of extra dynamic pop and resolution over the SR-007, as the 700/300ltd driver is based off the same technology as the SR-009 driver - they are both substantially warmer than the 009 though, which I think makes them a little better for metal. If you’re using a Carbon, they have a ton of speed and impact power. Going from the SRM-1 mk2 to the Carbon was a complete game changer for me. I did a head to head with the L300ltd and Carbon vs. the HE1000se and Manley Absolute the other weekend and the Stax absolutely smoked the Hifiman on just about everything (save a couple electronic tracks) at 1/4 of the cost!

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #9,221 of 12,302
Hansotek,

I don't mean to be a bother, but have you listened to some tracks off the albums I'd posted with the Atticus?

It’s all good man, I’ve been slow to respond. I have started on a couple. I’ll fire it up and do some more here in a couple minutes.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #9,222 of 12,302
Hansotek,

I don't mean to be a bother, but have you listened to some tracks off the albums I'd posted with the Atticus?

I liked them best with the Auteur on my OTL. The Atticus can help out some brighter production, but these were all of the more muddy variety. Given that you were looking for a little extra bass boost and isolation, I'd probably be inclined to recommend and Eikon with an OTL and a warm tube roll - I'd stick mostly to Mullard/Cossor, Amperex and RCA tubes.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #9,223 of 12,302
Yeah, I actually have a Chord Hugo 2 and a KGSSHV Carbon. I’d recommend grabbing the L700 or L300 Limited Edition. The Limited Edition has the same drivers as the L700 but with L500 pads and an L300 body. It sounds very similar to the L700, but costs a good bit less, if you want to save a little scratch. Both have a little bit of extra dynamic pop and resolution over the SR-007, as the 700/300ltd driver is based off the same technology as the SR-009 driver - they are both substantially warmer than the 009 though, which I think makes them a little better for metal. If you’re using a Carbon, they have a ton of speed and impact power. Going from the SRM-1 mk2 to the Carbon was a complete game changer for me. I did a head to head with the L300ltd and Carbon vs. the HE1000se and Manley Absolute the other weekend and the Stax absolutely smoked the Hifiman on just about everything (save a couple electronic tracks) at 1/4 of the cost!

Thanks for the great answer. I just need a short demo (according to people that's all I'll need) to confirm that Stax (any of them I guess) is what I really should be using. Selling the Hugo TT2 and Ether 2 should get me close to break even I think or even if I need to shell out any more money, it shouldn't be that much. I wanted to look into the dCS Bartok as I wanted a 2 ch system in my listening room, but that will not likely happen as the space would be better served as a home office and just add some quality pedestal or bookshelf speakers. Any good full size speakers would be a waste since a desk would be in between me and the speakers.

Apr 11, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #9,224 of 12,302
Thanks for the great answer. I just need a short demo (according to people that's all I'll need) to confirm that Stax (any of them I guess) is what I really should be using. Selling the Hugo TT2 and Ether 2 should get me close to break even I think or even if I need to shell out any more money, it shouldn't be that much. I wanted to look into the dCS Bartok as I wanted a 2 ch system in my listening room, but that will not likely happen as the space would be better served as a home office and just add some quality pedestal or bookshelf speakers. Any good full size speakers would be a waste since a desk would be in between me and the speakers.

Use Out of Your Head until the Realiser comes out xD Loudspeaker listening over headphones, just a subwoofer or tactile transducer system to your seat. Its incredible how well good hifi systems render the binaural mix of loudspeakers measured by the Realiser A8.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #9,225 of 12,302
Use Out of Your Head until the Realiser comes out xD Loudspeaker listening over headphones, just a subwoofer or tactile transducer system to your seat. Its incredible how well good hifi systems render the binaural mix of loudspeakers measured by the Realiser A8.

I will get a set of speakers, but I will not spend as crazy as I thought I would on speakers and the amp (along with the dac and music streamer). If we had a sixth bedroom, then I could have a separate listening room for a great 2 channel system, but my home office comes first and I'll figure out how big I want to go. The room is 22x22 feet with a 12 foot ceiling which I think is a good size except for the desk in between me and the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back