1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levap, Apr 21, 2014.
First

Back
604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613
615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624
Next

Last
  1. Hansotek
    I’ll do some listening with the tracks you mentioned.

burningv likes this.
  2. Johnny1982xyz
    Grado for metal... I didn't like them at all for metal... In my opinion best cheap option in he4xx or also may be good the senny 58x... A good option also senny hd25...

3. Dobrescu George
    I agree with He 4XX / Sundara, those really work well with Metal

Johnny1982xyz likes this.
  4. Johnny1982xyz
    Sundara is even better than the 400i or 4xx... For me. The best sounding cans under 500 euros

4xx are simply the best sound quality on price ratio... In my opinion obviously

Dobrescu George likes this.
  5. Johnny1982xyz
    I love my auteur... I'm waiting my neo. Otl amp, estro armonico handmade here in Italy with 1.75w class A on 300ohms...

It is a great step up from. My vio v281...

Auteur plus otl is a amazing combo ... And I have also. The susvara in my home

Also hoping that soon the aeolus will arrive.. There is a long waiting list.

6. vipervick
  7. Bjareboy
    Hi! I mostly listen to metal music (Pantera, Gojira, A perfect Circle, Slipknot), but also Epic(trailer) music like Two steps from Hell, Thomas Bergersen etc. Besides that some casual gaming. I'm close to ordering the Sennheiser HD599, but also consider Beyerdynamics DT990, AKG Q701 and Audio Technica MSR7. My list of candidates is longer, but I'm getting dizzy after reading pro's and con's the last few days.
    I'm no audiophile and I guess I want my sound to be fun with good quality.

Any of you guys have a recommendation?

8. Zenvota
    The Sennheisers are very smooth and relaxing. The Beyers have a very lively sound. The AKGs have impact. The MSR7s are pretty smooth and detailed but a little thin sounding.

Consider whether you want an open or closed headphone, open headphones often have a fuller larger image, closed have isolation and low sound leakage. Then consider comfort, do you like pleather/leather or velour pads, the latter being breathable. Beyers clamp down on your head like a vice. The AKGs are huge. The Sennheisers are comfortable.

As often suggested the Hifiman HE400i is a good option in that price range as well.

Bjareboy likes this.
  9. Baam
    I use them almost every day. I don't find their sound that good, but I think it is unfair to compare them to normal headphones as they are expensive because of the noise cancelling. Compared to the ANC headphones of other brands, I found them to have the best sound.

Two years ago I tried the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic plus a lot more and the ones I kept as I found to be the most enjoyable by far were the Meze 99 Classics. Most of the other headphones were incredible for classic rock (Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin...) but simply ok when I went to "classic" metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden) and plain, boring the darker I went (Emperor, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity), the Meze being the only one that turned the music more enjoyable.

I'm enjoying the Hifiman HE-4XX, but still prefer the Meze over them. I see that you are pondering both Closed and Open headphones, I would suggest knowing which kind fits you better before buying ones.

Zenvota likes this.
  10. Bjareboy
    The Meze 99 Classics sound super interesting, but unfortunately aren't for sale here in Norway. Checked some reviews and they actually seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Probably have to sell both the house and the dog to finance importing them though. Same goes for the Hifiman HE-400i, not for sale. However I can buy used ones for approx 230usd, but not sure if that makes them the best option.
    Regarding closed or open either works fine as I'll mostly be hiding down in my mancave using them.

11. Baam
    You can get them on Amazon UK, IT, ES or DE. You'll pay the shipping (5-10€) but no customs.

12. monsieurfromag3
    Most importantly don’t sell your dog!

darmanastartes and Monsterzero like this.
  13. socks mk2
    I've been listening to a lot of Turnstile and Beartooth (hardcore punk/melodic hardcore) lately; absolutely no complaints from the modest Mobius. Does just enough right not to be grasping for straws or go down the rabbit hole again.

14. Monsterzero
    Beautiful dog in your avatar. What breed?

monsieurfromag3 likes this.
  15. socks mk2
    Not to get off-topic... hah.
    Yuki is a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie). Not quite four years old yet. She has a bi-color black/white "blue merle" coat of fur and two different color eyes (blue/brown). Don't let her innocent looks deceive you, she is pure evil.
    FB_IMG_1550013310721.jpg

First

Back
604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613
615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624
Next

Last