Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #9,136 of 12,284
Baam from Tower of God. I was reading it at the time I registered, so I went with it. Great stuff, I recommend it. Read like 80 chapters in two days, and I was not even on holidays, lol.

To stay on topic, still gotta try my new HE-4XX more, today I just got home now...

Seineny? I like devilman getter robo claymore gantz berserk alita etc. Monsters and robots n gore

Back on topic, don't forget to take the grills off ;]

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #9,138 of 12,284
*emerges from the shadows*
Any thoughts on the Meze Empyrean?

A friend of mine keeps boasting that they're far and above better than their old LCD-4 — which they thought extremely highly of since their release now. Does this spill over into metal though? That's the real question.

Everything I was saving up for miraculously increased in price and I've become fed up with saving up for it. Somehow owning multiple thousand dollar pairs of headphones seems less absurd compared to some of my other hobbies again.

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #9,139 of 12,284

A friend of mine keeps boasting that they're far and above better than their old LCD-4 — which they thought extremely highly of since their release now. Does this spill over into metal though? That's the real question.

Everything I was saving up for miraculously increased in price and I've become fed up with saving up for it. Somehow owning multiple thousand dollar pairs of headphones seems less absurd compared to some of my other hobbies again.

I have it here at my home on loan. Its a very fast headphone,has good impact and decent sub-bass,but it seems to roll off faster than my Verite,but not much metal goes down below 40hz anyways. Its also incredibly comfortable and pretty easy to drive.

Its a smooth,warm,refined,relaxed sounding headphone with nice 3D imaging...Not really what I look for in metal headphones,but to each their own.
All that being said I think the Verite beats it on most counts,except for comfort,speed and its less amp/tube finicky.

IMO if it were a 1500.00-2000.00 headphone I'd be more enthused about it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #9,140 of 12,284

iuno... they look nice... not alot of measurements but vs the lcd4 they seem to have a less steep roll off over 4khz, but still not as bright as the hd800s, so probably ya a really nice sounding headphone.

you have a mobius though? how do you like yours for metal. I really like them with the brainwavz angled pleather pads and an extra 4-5db treble eq on the Music preset.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #9,141 of 12,284
I have it here at my home on loan. Its a very fast headphone,has good impact and decent sub-bass,but it seems to roll off faster than my Verite,but not much metal goes down below 40hz anyways. Its also incredibly comfortable and pretty easy to drive.

Its a smooth,warm,refined,relaxed sounding headphone with nice 3D imaging...Not really what I look for in metal headphones,but to each their own.
All that being said I think the Verite beats it on most counts,except for comfort,speed and its less amp/tube finicky.

IMO if it were a 1500.00-2000.00 headphone I'd be more enthused about it.
Cheers for the input. Ya, after trying out some much more comfortable headphones (at least to me) than the offerings by ZMF, I do take that into account a bit. I don't know if I'll end up with any of these new flagships — there are so many since I took a break. lol. Would you categorize the Empyrean as more of an all-rounder? Doesn't necessarily knock your socks off with metal as far as genres go, but it's still in those upper registers or tiers technically speaking?

iuno... they look nice... not alot of measurements but vs the lcd4 they seem to have a less steep roll off over 4khz, but still not as bright as the hd800s, so probably ya a really nice sounding headphone.

you have a mobius though? how do you like yours for metal. I really like them with the brainwavz angled pleather pads and an extra 4-5db treble eq on the Music preset.
My Mobius is stock as far as hardware goes. I use the internal flat EQ and don't touch it further than that. The fun factor is there compared to my old AFC. Very comfortable as well despite my initial worries about the somewhat thin headband. Still, I opt to listen to my Infinity Beta 50's and Klipsch R-112SW whenever available. Speakers are hard to beat when they're an option if all you want is the experience of listening to music.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #9,142 of 12,284
Cheers for the input. Ya, after trying out some much more comfortable headphones (at least to me) than the offerings by ZMF, I do take that into account a bit. I don't know if I'll end up with any of these new flagships — there are so many since I took a break. lol. Would you categorize the Empyrean as more of an all-rounder? Doesn't necessarily knock your socks off with metal as far as genres go, but it's still in those upper registers or tiers technically speaking?

First allow me to say that the Verite and Aeolus are considerably lighter,and thus much more comfy than the previous ZMF offerings. Still,the Empyrean is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

Both the Verite and Empyrean have outstanding 3D imaging,layering,impact,warm sound(Empyrean has a cool,minty flavor in the mids vs. a more organic Verite),kind of distant sound in the vocals,with the higher guitar notes more upfront,creating this 3D image,with the drums rolling behind your head. However the Verite does all that better. More depth,more width, more height,etc.
With fast metal,like melodeath,the Verite is fast. The Empyrean is faster. Perhaps even a tad bit faster than my original AD2000,which is the fastest dynamic headphone Ive heard to date. However,when you factor in dynamic(Verite) vs. planar(Empyrean) the speed difference shouldnt be shocking.

Yeah I suppose both are all arounders,but not top of the top for metal. The metal i listen to isnt mastered to be appreciated with extra 3D instrument placement(perhaps proggy stuff like Opeth would be an exception),so IMO the best traits of both headphones arent being maximized listening to metal.

I would reach for my Auteurs,Sextetts and AD2000s before the Verite for metal,all of which are aggressive sounding,but for stuff like jazz,trance, modern/well mastered blues,acoustic stuff the Verite would be my choice over the Empyrean for the above mentioned reasons in this comment and the previous response I made.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #9,144 of 12,284
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #9,146 of 12,284
Grados are way more fun

Grados are uncomfortable. Grados have sharp peaks in upper mids and treble. Grados are slow.
I say that as a fan of Grados. Other than the comfort I like them,but the Sextetts smoke em. Of course if youre not amping the AKGs with a ballsy amp they sound not so great.
But to each their own.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #9,147 of 12,284
Grados are uncomfortable. Grados have sharp peaks in upper mids and treble. Grados are slow.
I say that as a fan of Grados. Other than the comfort I like them,but the Sextetts smoke em. Of course if youre not amping the AKGs with a ballsy amp they sound not so great.
But to each their own.

AKGs are grandpa headphones!! And this is coming from someone who owned a pair of K701s for a long time, and amped them with an MPX3, doesn't get much ballsier :wink: Since when do metalheads worry about comfort?? Pff.

SR325is are not slow at all! Other standard model Grados are slower, but the 325is rivaled my old Sony MDR-SA5k, and those were FAST.

If you're a metalhead the 325i is the pair you need!

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #9,148 of 12,284
AKGs are grandpa headphones!! And this is coming from someone who owned a pair of K701s for a long time, and amped them with an MPX3

K701s are nothing like the Sextetts. Like.Literally. Nothing.
Youre arguing about a headphone youve never heard?
LOL!

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #9,149 of 12,284
First allow me to say that the Verite and Aeolus are considerably lighter,and thus much more comfy than the previous ZMF offerings. Still,the Empyrean is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

Both the Verite and Empyrean have outstanding 3D imaging,layering,impact,warm sound(Empyrean has a cool,minty flavor in the mids vs. a more organic Verite),kind of distant sound in the vocals,with the higher guitar notes more upfront,creating this 3D image,with the drums rolling behind your head. However the Verite does all that better. More depth,more width, more height,etc.
With fast metal,like melodeath,the Verite is fast. The Empyrean is faster. Perhaps even a tad bit faster than my original AD2000,which is the fastest dynamic headphone Ive heard to date. However,when you factor in dynamic(Verite) vs. planar(Empyrean) the speed difference shouldnt be shocking.

Yeah I suppose both are all arounders,but not top of the top for metal. The metal i listen to isnt mastered to be appreciated with extra 3D instrument placement(perhaps proggy stuff like Opeth would be an exception),so IMO the best traits of both headphones arent being maximized listening to metal.

I would reach for my Auteurs,Sextetts and AD2000s before the Verite for metal,all of which are aggressive sounding,but for stuff like jazz,trance, modern/well mastered blues,acoustic stuff the Verite would be my choice over the Empyrean for the above mentioned reasons in this comment and the previous response I made.
Might not be quite right for me personally and what I listen to the most (at least through headphones) after all. Still interested in trying out and hearing a pair for myself. If not only to experience the comfort. How is there anything more comfortable than the ÆON Flows? My brain can't even comprehend such a thing. lol.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #9,150 of 12,284
It's been awhile since I had the AFC, and yeah those are super cozy too.
If not better, they're very comparable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back