Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 20, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #9,031 of 12,302
The Auteur not only sounds great with metal,but everything else Ive thrown at it as well.
My set has been picked out,just waiting to make payment. Crazy good headphone.
YES!

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #9,032 of 12,302
I have HE500, HD800, HD600 and LCD-2.1 at home.... All are EQ'd to taste with ADI-2 DAC.

For metal, there's basically only one winner.... Even though the Hifiman does have some cool balance with a hint of planar bass...
LCD-2.1 wins it! That bass impact of a non-fazor LCD cannot be beat.

(HD650 was the loser that didn't make it this far. It got sold some years ago for being a warm, mid-bassy, dark piece of a hp.)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #9,033 of 12,302
I have HE500, HD800, HD600 and LCD-2.1 at home.... All are EQ'd to taste with ADI-2 DAC.

For metal, there's basically only one winner.... Even though the Hifiman does have some cool balance with a hint of planar bass...
LCD-2.1 wins it! That bass impact of a non-fazor LCD cannot be beat.

(HD650 was the loser that didn't make it this far. It got sold some years ago for being a warm, mid-bassy, dark piece of a hp.)

hi which sound difference there is between lcd 2.1 and my unfazored 2.2 ?

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #9,034 of 12,302

I’ve heard my buddy’s 2.2 only briefly without a comparison to my own pair at hand. It sounded great, out of his amp and gear. That’s not saying that much though. Esp with Audeze having less consistecy way back then, as the story has it. 2.2 has a plastic cable out that has a smarter angle than the old wooden one at least.

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #9,035 of 12,302

I used to own a 2.2 pf. I spoke to Audeze to get an ID on the exact driver via giving them the serial#. They confirmed it was a 2.2pf. They also said that was the warmest driver they ever made.

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #9,036 of 12,302
So, after some reading here I want to ask:
What are the top recommended headphones for our beautiful genre? Out of metal I sway to death metal and goregrind for the most part, but I have a very own taste in music at the end of the day.

I've been thinking of going the lcd-x route until recently, being swayed towards the lcd2c.
My to buy list includes one of the Audeze HP's I mentioned, DT1990, Sundara or Ananda.
Currently own akg 712, X2, he400i and th-x00 PH.

Basically looking for a "endgame" metal can under 1500cdn, some of the others are for "collection" goals.

Thanks for any info all!

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #9,037 of 12,302
At that price point auteur is a very good option.

Sundara and Ananda improve on 400i sound... I liked sundara very much when I listened them even if for only half an hour.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #9,038 of 12,302
At that price point auteur is a very good option.

Sundara and Ananda improve on 400i sound... I liked sundara very much when I listened them even if for only half an hour.

Good to know. Still torn between Sundara and Ananda though, from the short time could you tell any primspr difference in signature compared with the 400i? Brighter, warmer, bassier etc.
I really just wish I could demo HP's here, but the only real headphone shop just carries Senns and Focal.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #9,039 of 12,302
If anyones interested, check my signature for my systems, both use loudspeaker virtualization in combination with a bass shaker system and I pretty much only listen to death metal. Planars and electrostats are amazing for the matetial and processing, most dynamics just can't keep up, unless its a ring transducer or something like beryllium ;] the systems have lots of isolation, clocking, ultra fast power supplies, wire with gain style circuits. I love it =/

The Audeze Mobius with a pad change and some eqing are completely satisfying for when I'm not at the desk.

Dec 25, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #9,040 of 12,302
Good to know. Still torn between Sundara and Ananda though, from the short time could you tell any primspr difference in signature compared with the 400i? Brighter, warmer, bassier etc.
I really just wish I could demo HP's here, but the only real headphone shop just carries Senns and Focal.

Signature is a bit warmer than 400i and more datails... Su Tara takes every aspect of 400i and improves it to have a generally better sound but similar

Sundara for me is very good

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #9,041 of 12,302
Looking to replace current IEMs: Sure 215. Considering an over the ear that are glasses friendly under $350.00. Wireless is preferred but not mandatory. Source is mostly FLAC off my Cayin N3 or streaming from my pixel 2 vie Emby, Bandcamp YouTube. I know I can add a BT adapter (already had the Mee) but I'm exploring other options. Don't need ANC. I like the 215. Doesn't aggravate my tinnnitus and with a tad bit of eq has good bass. My sound preference is a bottom end that is elevated slightly but with slam. and weight, warm but not vailed mids with good detail and a neutral to warm treble. Upper mid and treble boost are a no go with my tinnnitus.
My musical choices tend to run in the melo/melodic/prog death, prog and some black. Amorphis Opeth, Soen, Belakor, Dark Tranquillity, Moonspell, Shylmagoghnar, Firtan, Ne Obliviscarous Slugdge, Amon Amarth. I also do hard rock, Stoner and OAR.

I used to run the Thinksound ON1 but once I started wearing glasses the on-ear was painful. Loved the sound but they had a upper mid and treble bump the required constant EQ fiddling to tame on some recordings. I want to avoid that issue.

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #9,042 of 12,302
What budget-friendly sources is everyone using? I sold my Mimby a few months ago and I don't have anything to (properly) feed my new Cavalli Spark. I only have a Radsone ES100 Bluetooth dac. That's great for what it does, but I know it's holding the Spark back.

I mostly listen to Tidal and Spotify.

I'm considering the following, but am open to suggestions. Portability is nice to have, but not necessary.

* iFi idsd nano Black (portable!)
* Cayin N5ii dap (portable!)
* New Mimby (presumably will have better performance)

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #9,043 of 12,302
I use the Cayin N3 but it has no streaming capabilities. Love it for running my Sure 215s. Cayin has a solid presence here at least in the N3 thread which is a plus and they have provided great support for the N3 overall with firmware updates to address bugs and features.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #9,044 of 12,302
I use the Cayin N3 but it has no streaming capabilities. Love it for running my Sure 215s. Cayin has a solid presence here at least in the N3 thread which is a plus and they have provided great support for the N3 overall with firmware updates to address bugs and features.

I've heard good things about Cayin's products. If I'm going the DAP route I need Android support, so the N5ii is the move. I just started following that thread .I should go see what dac comparisons are mentioned there.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #9,045 of 12,302
What budget-friendly sources is everyone using? I sold my Mimby a few months ago and I don't have anything to (properly) feed my new Cavalli Spark. I only have a Radsone ES100 Bluetooth dac. That's great for what it does, but I know it's holding the Spark back.

I mostly listen to Tidal and Spotify.

I'm considering the following, but am open to suggestions. Portability is nice to have, but not necessary.

* iFi idsd nano Black (portable!)
* Cayin N5ii dap (portable!)
* New Mimby (presumably will have better performance)

Cayin DAPs have awesome bang-for-buck sound. Really super impressive. Glad you’re playing with the Spark. That amp is so good and for $99, it’s a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back