Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #9,047 of 12,302
After listening to the Denon AH-D7200 for a few days, mainly metal, I think they are fantastic for this genre. Very engaging and fun, yet detailed. I wanted a closed back headphone, and compared it to the Focal Elegia and the D9200. The Elegias were anemic in comparison. The D9200 were also great and perhaps slightly better (tighter mid bass and a bit more sparkle in the treble) but not worth the big price difference in my opinion.

It's a fun sounding, comfortable headphone with descent isolation and a terrific build quality, I paid 719€ for mine at a local dealer and I know they can be found cheaper in other countries, I can highly recommend them. Would love to compare them to some of the ZMF headphones at some point, but there are sadly no retailers here.

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #9,049 of 12,302
Currently I use my PS500e and T1 for rock and instrumental music. I'm of a basshead tho overall and don't find either lacking in that department. You can't beat their highs tho.

If T1 is satisfying your bass needs,I need to check your basshead credentials. No offense.

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #9,051 of 12,302
This is why theres so many headphone companies now,each making multiple models with different sound signatures.
I used to have the T1 w/ a Woo Audio WA2 and didnt like it for metal at all,but glad youre happy with it.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #9,052 of 12,302
After listening to the Denon AH-D7200 for a few days, mainly metal, I think they are fantastic for this genre. Very engaging and fun, yet detailed. I wanted a closed back headphone, and compared it to the Focal Elegia and the D9200. The Elegias were anemic in comparison. The D9200 were also great and perhaps slightly better (tighter mid bass and a bit more sparkle in the treble) but not worth the big price difference in my opinion.

It's a fun sounding, comfortable headphone with descent isolation and a terrific build quality, I paid 719€ for mine at a local dealer and I know they can be found cheaper in other countries, I can highly recommend them. Would love to compare them to some of the ZMF headphones at some point, but there are sadly no retailers here.

Hi i got denon 7200 and ZMF Auteur , for me Auteur surpass the denon in about every aspect (I also decided to sell my deonon) acrually i do not need a closed headphone and for me open headphones sounds better than closed one ...

But for a closed headphone I think denon is one of the best one specially at 550€ that you can find in UK, but even at 700€ . Unfortunatly i haven't heard the closed ZMF or lcd2c closed .. But deonon is not so far from the quality of an opened headphone ...

Denon 7200 I agree that sounds very good whith metal , instead i didn't liked it with rock very much

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #9,053 of 12,302
Currently I use my PS500e and T1 for rock and instrumental music. I'm of a basshead tho overall and don't find either lacking in that department. You can't beat their highs tho.

I heard T1 ... for me id one of the worst headphones i've heard ... in my opinion is easy to find a better headphone for metal ... even a cheap he4xx or he400i ...

have you listened to an hifiman , audeze, zmf, mr speakers ? al also a modest (considering the price but not the sound) senny hd600?

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #9,054 of 12,302
I heard T1 ... for me id one of the worst headphones i've heard ... in my opinion is easy to find a better headphone for metal ... even a cheap he4xx or he400i ...

have you listened to an hifiman , audeze, zmf, mr speakers ? al also a modest (considering the price but not the sound) senny hd600?
I guess it really good to show how big a role personal preference is when it comes to audio. I do have a HE400i, HE560, Ether, LCDX, LCD2, and a whole bunch of others. Ive actually never heard anything from zmf but it's on my bucket list. I still reach for my ps500e followed by my T1 when listening to rock. Rock isn't my preferred genre of music but I do enjoy it occasionally.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #9,055 of 12,302
Oh yes I agree that rock is a different beast I got a grado 80 too... Good for rock very bad for metal...

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #9,056 of 12,302
I feel like with a warm tube amp and the right songs the bass sounds exactly as it should. It's not thumping but it's deep and accurate imo

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!! AmpingUp IS A SCAMMER AND IS PROVIDING THE 1233 LAKESHORE DRIVE, CAMDEN,NJ ADDRESS FOR TRANSACTIONS. THIS ADDRESS IS KNOWN AS THE ONE PROVIDED BY A HORRIBLE PIECE OF crap SCAMMER, SO BE DILIGENT!!! HI DAN.....................WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #9,059 of 12,302
thanks for the warning @ebjarrell
Have been playing along with this dude and gonna mail him a surprise

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back