Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #9,001 of 12,271
Were you able to add texture via EQ as well? I felt the guitar chunk was lacking.
Perhaps im spoiled by my other headphones,but I need to feel/hear that Skippy Super Chunk.

You’re spoiled by the ZMFs!

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #9,002 of 12,271
The way you described both amps actually has me drawn more toward the Magni 3. As my current setup includes a pair of HD650, which are generally considered warm headphones, I tend to shy away from anything that's described in that way for my upgrade. I would like my next step to be a lot closer to neutral and improve on speed and bass response/extension—I seem to understand from your review that the Magni 3 does ever-so-slightly better in those departments, even though the warmer timbre on the Monolith makes it overall more euphonic. Or am I misunderstanding it?

To each their own, I suppose.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #9,003 of 12,271
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #9,004 of 12,271
I've had my Meze Empyrean for a few days now and they are simply outstanding on metal! They have a warm tuning with perfect midrange tone and deep bass. They sound exceptional on vocals and guitars. I am a bit of a basshead and they did fantastic on all my bass reference tracks. Detail retrieval is on a level with the Utopia while not being as forward. They are incredibly fun and non-fatiguing to listen to. They are also the most comfortable, best built, and best looking headphones I have ever seen. They are incredibly easy to drive for a planar. Empyrean is not cheap at $3K but can be considered a bargain against their competition when the innovative design and sound/build quality is taken into account. These are game changers! :L3000::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #9,005 of 12,271
@Evangelion2014 - what amp did you hear Elegia on? That might have something to do with the harshness...

Went back to your original post. MrSpeakers AEON Closed is also great. Neutral and very good staging. Great all-rounder headphone. Also takes EQ very well because it has dead-flat impedance - very easy to bump the bass for rap or metal because of that. Great versatility in that way, but the natural signature is great as well.

Also saw they have the Ebony TH-X00 on Massdrop, which is the best version of that headphone. I'd probably grab some aftermarket pads from Dekoni or a pair of ZMF Universe pads if you went in that direction because they will have better long-term wearing comfort.

I should have paid more attention to the sound setup they had at the store it was a whole large stereo thing with a quarter inch jack; whatever it was probably was eq'd and configured to make the sample Steve Ray Vaughn song "crossfire" sound it's best. It's very likely not eq'd for power metal which tends to be a pretty niche genre.

To be specific about my budget it's under $741 with tax and aside form viking/death/black/power metal I listen to pretty much every genre and also want the imaging and soundstage to be good for gaming. I'd prefer closed back but I can be convinced to go with open back if they fit my needs.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #9,006 of 12,271
What do you guys think of using the Focal Elegia for metal?

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #9,008 of 12,271
My all-time favorite headphones for Rock is the O.G. Hifiman HE500.

With that said here's my current order when I rock out.

HE500 > AFC > RS2 > MS2 > LCD-2C > Elear

If it's heavy percussion I would put the Grado RS2's #1 (yes over the RS1's and P series)

I know headphones are subjective but I just love using my AFC on a Mojo or Hugo 2 for most genre's, they're my workhorse choice.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #9,009 of 12,271
Greetings my fellow metalheads and head-fiers,

I would really use some help with my next purchase. I am looking for an open-back headphone for listening exclusively various genres of metal (e.g. death, black, progressive, thrash... including sub-genres and combinations of mentioned styles).

I own currently AKG K702 with Dekoni Elite Velour pads that improved the sound for my particular taste (i.e. less sibilant highs and more clean bass impact). I had Sennheiser HD 58X for a few weeks, but disliked the narrow soundstage and average instrument separation. It sounded however pleasantly fast and somewhat clear for most metal music that I tested.

I bought recently Beyerdynamic Amiron Home from black friday sale. I think that I will probably send it back because I find it a bit too dark and dull, plus the alcantara pads and headband feel a bit weird imho.

Based on these details, what would you recommend for my taste? I am using Schiit Jotunheim as a headphone amp. Price is not an issue, but I usually like to get a good "bang for my buck".

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #9,010 of 12,271
Greetings my fellow metalheads and head-fiers,

I would really use some help with my next purchase. I am looking for an open-back headphone for listening exclusively various genres of metal (e.g. death, black, progressive, thrash... including sub-genres and combinations of mentioned styles).

I own currently AKG K702 with Dekoni Elite Velour pads that improved the sound for my particular taste (i.e. less sibilant highs and more clean bass impact). I had Sennheiser HD 58X for a few weeks, but disliked the narrow soundstage and average instrument separation. It sounded however pleasantly fast and somewhat clear for most metal music that I tested.

I bought recently Beyerdynamic Amiron Home from black friday sale. I think that I will probably send it back because I find it a bit too dark and dull, plus the alcantara pads and headband feel a bit weird imho.

Based on these details, what would you recommend for my taste? I am using Schiit Jotunheim as a headphone amp. Price is not an issue, but I usually like to get a good "bang for my buck".

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I recently tried a pair of Focal Clears and if I was looking for a pair of opens those would probably be my choice. They had really good impact, transient response, and detail to my ears. I haven't listened to them, but the Massdrop Focal Elex has almost the same frequency response as the Clears, which may be a good "bang for your buck" choice.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #9,011 of 12,271
I recently tried a pair of Focal Clears and if I was looking for a pair of opens those would probably be my choice. They had really good impact, transient response, and detail to my ears. I haven't listened to them, but the Massdrop Focal Elex has almost the same frequency response as the Clears, which may be a good "bang for your buck" choice.

Thanks for the recommendation. The massdrop option is out of the question because they do not ship it to Europe. There would also be a twenty-four percent value added tax when buing outside the EU. Additionally, I am more interested in the sub 1000 dollar / euro category.

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #9,012 of 12,271
Yeah, Blackwood Auteur is my favorite metal headphone, for sure.

Technically, most of my listening lately has been with the Fiio FH5, since I'm reviewing it, but if I'm just listing for myself, I usually rock one of the ZMFs on my Glenn OTL.

Hey, how've you been?

How much better is the Fiio Fh5 vs the 1More Quad Driver?

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #9,013 of 12,271
has anyone tried the new Focal Elegia for metal? (bands i usually listen to, Rammstein, Black sabbath, queens of the stone age, amon amarth, kvelertak, etc...)

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #9,014 of 12,271
Hey, how've you been?

How much better is the Fiio Fh5 vs the 1More Quad Driver?

Hey man! Doing well. I would definitely go with the Fiio FH5 between the two. The Fiio is nice and punchy with great ergonomics. The Quad is great, but the FH5 is better for metal, IMO, and if you’re going to use them at the gym at all, the FH5’s ergonomics make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back