Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #8,567 of 12,322
Feb 14, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #8,570 of 12,322
Better than the LCD-4 ?

It extends better in the treble, and has an even better bass. Plus, 4MX is reasily drivable from something like a FiiO X7mkii with AMP5 , or FiiO Q5 with that same amp, portably. If oyu don't mind them being open, 4MX is also lighter, so you can take them out on a walk :darthsmile:

At this point, LCD4 was quite close to HE1 when properly amped, LCD4MX gets one step ahead, at least to my ears...

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #8,572 of 12,322
Wow! And they are $750 cheaper than the Empyrean :wink:

Woah...

I didn't know their price exactly (Empyrean)...

Since I thought that it was still under consideration (latest info I had from Meze was that the price wasn't final since the product was still a prototype at this point, the unit at Canjam still being more of a prototype than an end product)

Being placed in that perspective, it'll be mighty fun to see what Meze does with their Empyrean, since it has to stand against this one, and believe me, this one is nothing to be joked about. I have been listening to it non-stop since this morning (when it arrived), I don't want to, but I am in love with 4MX...

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #8,573 of 12,322
Woah...

I didn't know their price exactly (Empyrean)...

Since I thought that it was still under consideration (latest info I had from Meze was that the price wasn't final since the product was still a prototype at this point, the unit at Canjam still being more of a prototype than an end product)

Being placed in that perspective, it'll be mighty fun to see what Meze does with their Empyrean, since it has to stand against this one, and believe me, this one is nothing to be joked about. I have been listening to it non-stop since this morning (when it arrived), I don't want to, but I am in love with 4MX...

There was a leak a couple of days ago with new pictures of the Empyrean and the official price ($3750) but I think that the guys at Meze were not happy and everything got deleted.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #8,574 of 12,322
My input, I would suggest giving the LCD2C a try, I recently got my pair and they have a warm lush presentation of the mids and highs similar to the HD650s but they also have the nice sub-bass and mid-bass extension people tend to be looking for in planars. The speed of these headphones is astounding and instrument separation and detail is all there. They have a nice punch to it as well in the very bass heavy tracks I listen to. I doubt they do what the clears do in detail and separation, but they definitely have a different sound to the HD650s that I would describe as very rich and mellow sounding whereas the HD650s just sound a bit thin and weak. Just my 2 cents. Others please chime in and enlighten me.
So, I ended up getting the LCD2C, and extremely happy I did so far. One note is that my impressions are based on using them with the Reveal plugin and the LCD2C profile most of the time.

Very first impression when plugging them in was that they seemed somewhat, dull. But maybe it was my amplifier that needed some warming up, as well as the headphones since the headphones were new out of the box. Right now, I find their sound extremely comfortable to my ears, and they have that punch I was looking for! Finally, a pair of headphones that can keep up with my music, without crumbling in the busiest passages. It’s able to bring out a lot more of all details in the mix compared to the HD650. Such an engaging listen, I love it!

As for comfort which was one of my concerns, I find them very comfortable, my most comfortable headphone yet, even though they’re also my heaviest pair. I can forget they’re on my head at times, something I couldn’t do with the HD650. Clamping force was too much, and I never found the pads very comfortable either, as their angled inside gives a rather narrow and stiff contact area.

Anyway, this is by no means a review, just wanted to express my appreciation for the LCD2C, and say thank you, as you did give me that first bump in its direction!

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #8,575 of 12,322
There was a leak a couple of days ago with new pictures of the Empyrean and the official price ($3750) but I think that the guys at Meze were not happy and everything got deleted.

Welp, Meze has a lot to fight with Audeze producing their awesome headphones. I think that all of us are eager to see how the Empyrean stands against the amazing qualities of an established headphone like LCD-4 or LCD-4MX.

I'm also really eager to see the comfort and weight of the Empyrean, I keep saying this, but the sole fact that LCD-4MX is not that heavy, makes it a very ideal flagship, those can be worn while out and about, as well as driven portably :)

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #8,576 of 12,322
Welp, Meze has a lot to fight with Audeze producing their awesome headphones. I think that all of us are eager to see how the Empyrean stands against the amazing qualities of an established headphone like LCD-4 or LCD-4MX.

I'm also really eager to see the comfort and weight of the Empyrean, I keep saying this, but the sole fact that LCD-4MX is not that heavy, makes it a very ideal flagship, those can be worn while out and about, as well as driven portably :)

At 3k, we have focal utopia (street price for new is around $2700), lcd-4mx, and he1k. I wonder whether someone would be able to compare them directly.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #8,580 of 12,322
Hansotek, in your mind does anything beat the Abyss Phi for metal? It was the favorite on the original chart. What are your top three, money no consideration?

Yeah, the Abyss Phi and Abyss are simply on another level due to their sheer physicality. The Phi has better balance, air and openness to it than the original. It is less colored, easier to drive and lighter. The original is still great though - it hits like a truck and guitars have crazy weight and growl.

Next I’d probably go with the LCD-4 (I still gotta hear the MX4 (I will this weekend)). I love the weight and balance and that it still has all the air and detail - it’s forgiving without being dulled out, which makes it great for just about anything.

Beyond that, it’s a matter of amps. If you have a super warm and impactful amp, the Focal Utopia has unbelievable textural microdynamics - when I first heard it on the Liquid Crimson, I felt it was better than the original Abyss.

If you have a high-end speaker amp, the HE-6 is still amazing, though it’s discontinued, unreliable, production variation is all over the place, and it may require modification.

If you have a killer tube amp, the ZMF dynamics (Auteur, Eikon and Atticus) all hit really hard and have unbelievable tone. With a good tube amp, they “open up” and become a little more balanced sounding. The Auteur is the most detailed and neutral with a wonderfully shaped soundstage, great balance and nice punch. Atticus is warmer by default and is a little more finicky with amping to open up all the way, but when it does, it sounds like a $3K headphone. I’d say the bare minimum requirement to get it to open up all the way is a tube amp in the $1500 range, just FYI. Otherwise, it is warm, sweet and very enjoyable with most amps - once you’ve heard it open up though, you realize that it really has a second gear. (Edit: the Auteur isn’t as picky, I actually like it just as much with my solid state.)

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back