Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #7,396 of 12,302
Does anyone here have any experience with a Schiit Wyrd "decrapifier" or AudioQuest JitterBug? I'm debating whether to get such a device, or whether it's all snake oil nonsense. I understand the concept of these devices in theory, but wonder how much of a real-world, noticeable difference they will make in my mid-range system (Mimby--> Liquid Carbon --> E-MU Teak). 

Any strong opinions one way or another here? Feel free to direct me to a thread that addresses this issue rationally. 

I have no experience with either, but I do have experience buying things, trying them out and returning them if I don't think they're worth their price.
I'd suggest getting both and testing them yourself, in your own system and, perhaps even more important, with your own ears. :)

Also, this is a pretty good read.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,397 of 12,302
Does anyone here have any experience with a Schiit Wyrd "decrapifier" or AudioQuest JitterBug? I'm debating whether to get such a device, or whether it's all snake oil nonsense. I understand the concept of these devices in theory, but wonder how much of a real-world, noticeable difference they will make in my mid-range system (Mimby--> Liquid Carbon --> E-MU Teak). 

Any strong opinions one way or another here? Feel free to direct me to a thread that addresses this issue rationally. 

Wyrd has been a staple in my system for a long time. IMO, it has a subtle but noticeable effect. I tried the Jitterbug too, but couldn't hear a difference. The Uptone Regen is also supposed to be good.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #7,398 of 12,302

You can try this product for free

http://www.head-fi.org/t/838014/new-loaner-program-the-usb-disruptor#post_13287906

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #7,399 of 12,302

TBH these are mostly glorified powered USB hubs. Just get one of those. A powered USB hub does help if you have any USB power issues. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #7,400 of 12,302
Wyrd has been a staple in my system for a long time. IMO, it has a subtle but noticeable effect. I tried the Jitterbug too, but couldn't hear a difference. The Uptone Regen is also supposed to be good.

Yes, I think I'm probably going to spring for one. I see them go on the classifieds for $40-50 all the time, so I'll hold out for a deal. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #7,401 of 12,302
  TBH these are mostly glorified powered USB hubs. Just get one of those. A powered USB hub does help if you have any USB power issues. 

Not only that, they're not necessary if your DAC runs a power cable of its own. Only if there's potential interference by running power out of your PC/source.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #7,402 of 12,302

Not only that, they're not necessary if your DAC runs a power cable of its own. Only if there's potential interference by running power out of your PC/source.

I think they are made for USB DACs that take power from the PC / lappy rather than USB DACs with their own power supply 
biggrin.gif

I'm curious to try one 

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #7,403 of 12,302

I think they are made for USB DACs that take power from the PC / lappy rather than USB DACs with their own power supply 
biggrin.gif

I'm curious to try one 

Yes, that's why I ask.

On the other hand, Darko, @Hansotek and @Currawong all have had positive experiences with them. My Mimby is AC-powered, and I don't currently experience any USB noise issues.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #7,404 of 12,302

This is incorrect. The USB cable will carry the power regardless of whether your DAC is USB powered or has it's own independent power supply. If your DAC is wall powered, it still might even use that voltage to power the DAC's USB receiver, otherwise it will sink it. Regardless, many generic USB cables (astoundingly) still run that power down the same line as the data, or they don't adequately shield the two from one another.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #7,405 of 12,302
This is incorrect. The USB cable will carry the power regardless of whether your DAC is USB powered or has it's own independent power supply. If your DAC is wall powered, it still might even use that voltage to power the DAC's USB receiver, otherwise it will sink it. Regardless, many generic USB cables (astoundingly) still run that power down the same line as the data, or they don't adequately shield the two from one another.

That is true! Although I haven't considered the effects this has on sound before. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #7,406 of 12,302

It depends on the DAC in my experience. I didn't think that the Wyrd had any benefit with Schiit's Gen 3 USB. At your gear level, I'd say money would be better spent on a better DAC and not tweaks.

The problem with USB is that the chips generate noise, which can end up affecting the quality of the audio output. USB isn't like S/PDIF, which is just the audio data, but does a lot of negotiation and flow control. Anything that reduces the amount of processing, and thus the noise generated, can have an audible benefit. How much depends on how well this was considered by the designer of a DAC in my experience.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #7,407 of 12,302
It depends on the DAC in my experience. I didn't think that the Wyrd had any benefit with Schiit's Gen 3 USB. At your gear level, I'd say money would be better spent on a better DAC and not tweaks.

The problem with USB is that the chips generate noise, which can end up affecting the quality of the audio output. USB isn't like S/PDIF, which is just the audio data, but does a lot of negotiation and flow control. Anything that reduces the amount of processing, and thus the noise generated, can have an audible benefit. How much depends on how well this was considered by the designer of a DAC in my experience.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #7,408 of 12,302
Brainwavz hybrid pads are fine on the Sextetts , very little(if any) alteration of sound.

My son snagged a pair of EP sextetts today and they came with Beyer DT extra thick protein pads.....(hate that links dont work!!!!)

Doing an a/b with my stock EP there wasnt much difference in sound,except perhaps a slightly longer decay in bass...perhaps.

They are however,infinitely more comfortable than my stock pads.

BTW his pair came with original box,which I immediately confiscated
rolleyes.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #7,410 of 12,302
Anyone familiar with the Philips N 6330? Looks to be a sextett clone. The one I found for sale even has red drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back