Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #6,226 of 12,299
Dec 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #6,227 of 12,299
Happy New Year boys!

Heres a new sub genre for yall

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #6,228 of 12,299
  Totally disagree.I had a debate in an AKG thread w a guy who called K712s "basshead" cans!

I get that HE-500s or 400s wont do well in a paper test,but I stand by my previous statement...if youre used to a basslight headphone,you dont need an SZ2000 to scratch the bass itch.

​Concerning the K12 Pro and it's bass, you better read the following post By Alex Roma who did some investigation :
_____________________________________________________________________-

Let me tel you a story, guys, about how did I moved from the fan side to the hated side of AKG K712 in particular.

First I had listened to K712 about 4 months ago, when a friend of mine got one. I had immediately fall in love with the overall tonal balance and bass quality. In 2 months I had sold my Sennheiser HD650. At cristmass sales I've managed to grab a pair of K712 from ebay, honk-kong seller .

So I got the beast, put it in a cupboard and set it burn in for a week.

~ 100 hours burn in, I test it on the same setup I did 4 months ago .. The immediate notice -> Dry sound. Where is the bass ? Ok... Need more burn in.. Put it back for another week burn in
~ 200 hours burn in. Same filling , it sounds dry and bright. No bass extension and particular, no preasure. Mids are forward and bright, no bass, no treble. Another week burn in
~ 300 hours burn in. Same crap. So I call my friend for a meeting.

Both headphones were made in Slovakia.

We start an A/B comparison. . And boom, here it is... His AKG K712 , 001*** revision, has the ammount of bass which made me fall in love with K712 and sell HD650. Mine K712, the 009031 revision, -5db in bass, no subbas!
The difference is so big in sound that I might consider giving the oriuginal 001*** revision an 8.5 for pure SQ, but mine scale well below 8, about 7.5, not more. It's a big shame !!!

The conclusion I made is this :
a) AKG has put their old K702 / Q701 driver inside the beast. Shame on you, AKG, big shame !
b) Bad AKG Quality control, since it's collaborates had put K702 drivers inside K712 beast. 
c) The honk-kong seller could possibly sell counterfeit goods

So please be careful about the K712 revision. Looks like the new K712 share the same old K702 driver from instead of the new, bassy one, or, AKG has really bad quality control... Selling my K712 now.

​So, there seems to be bassier AKG K712 Pro units and that kind of units he discribes.

I am currently listening to Choronzon By Akercocke with K712 Pro (revision number 007576) fed By Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2.
And I can't say these would have a great bass extension. However, the sound is airy and spacious, like the box says.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #6,229 of 12,299

​Concerning the K12 Pro and it's bass, you better read the following post By Alex Roma who did some investigation :
_____________________________________________________________________-

Let me tel you a story, guys, about how did I moved from the fan side to the hated side of AKG K712 in particular.

First I had listened to K712 about 4 months ago, when a friend of mine got one. I had immediately fall in love with the overall tonal balance and bass quality. In 2 months I had sold my Sennheiser HD650. At cristmass sales I've managed to grab a pair of K712 from ebay, honk-kong seller .

So I got the beast, put it in a cupboard and set it burn in for a week.

~ 100 hours burn in, I test it on the same setup I did 4 months ago .. The immediate notice -> Dry sound. Where is the bass ? Ok... Need more burn in.. Put it back for another week burn in
~ 200 hours burn in. Same filling , it sounds dry and bright. No bass extension and particular, no preasure. Mids are forward and bright, no bass, no treble. Another week burn in
~ 300 hours burn in. Same crap. So I call my friend for a meeting.

Both headphones were made in Slovakia.

We start an A/B comparison. . And boom, here it is... His AKG K712 , 001*** revision, has the ammount of bass which made me fall in love with K712 and sell HD650. Mine K712, the 009031 revision, -5db in bass, no subbas!
The difference is so big in sound that I might consider giving the oriuginal 001*** revision an 8.5 for pure SQ, but mine scale well below 8, about 7.5, not more. It's a big shame !!!

The conclusion I made is this :
a) AKG has put their old K702 / Q701 driver inside the beast. Shame on you, AKG, big shame !
b) Bad AKG Quality control, since it's collaborates had put K702 drivers inside K712 beast. 
c) The honk-kong seller could possibly sell counterfeit goods

So please be careful about the K712 revision. Looks like the new K712 share the same old K702 driver from instead of the new, bassy one, or, AKG has really bad quality control... Selling my K712 now.

​So, there seems to be bassier AKG K712 Pro units and that kind of units he discribes.

I am currently listening to Choronzon By Akercocke with K712 Pro (revision number 007576) fed By Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2.
And I can't say these would have a great bass extension. However, the sound is airy and spacious, like the box says.

Interesting.... That's all possible but I don't like how the q701 driver is apparently the "lower grade" model when the k712 largely uses the same driver, it is just slightly modified. It could just be that the older models were tuned to have more bass but from feedback from most akg'ers who were not used to it, they dialed back the bass a bit.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #6,230 of 12,299
There has been bad comments about Massdrop K7XX s extensive bass.
This guy, Alex Roma, seems highly pissed for not getting the bass.

Some user commented that he got his K712 s also from chinese retailer and the revision number comes pretty close, 009*** but his unit does not contain these faults and has bass.

Some guy had his K712 s revision number way ahead, 014*** (Made in Austria) and this unit also contain bass.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #6,231 of 12,299
A thing that has also boggled me concerning these AKGs is that as I have listened these with Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2 combination during Christmas, I think my pair seem to sound a bit bright, which odd because it shouldn't be that way, the Asgard 2s sound signature is, as I know, more on the warmer and darker side.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,232 of 12,299
  A thing that has also boggled me concerning these AKGs is that as I have listened these with Bifrost 4490 and Asgard 2 combination during Christmas, I think my pair seem to sound a bit bright, which odd because it shouldn't be that way, the Asgard 2s sound signature is, as I know, more on the warmer and darker side.

the asgard 2 is pretty analytical from what I'm aware of, and regardless of the amp, a "bright" headphone should still sound "bright"

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #6,233 of 12,299
  There has been bad comments about Massdrop K7XX s extensive bass.
This guy, Alex Roma, seems highly pissed for not getting the bass.

Some user commented that he got his K712 s also from chinese retailer and the revision number comes pretty close, 009*** but his unit does not contain these faults and has bass.

Some guy had his K712 s revision number way ahead, 014*** (Made in Austria) and this unit also contain bass.

Excessive bass??? No way, not IMO. I have an original K7XX and I bass port modded it, love the rumble for movies.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,234 of 12,299

The Asgard is most definitely not warm or dark.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #6,236 of 12,299
I'm looking for a super sweet (semi-portable) dac/amp to driver planars and other difficult-to-drive headphones.

I had it narrowed down to the Geek Out V2 Infinity and the iFi IDSD micro.

Has anyone compared the two? I prefer the iFi - I've read some things about Light Harmonic Labs' business practices that seem a little sketchy.

I also don't like LH's warranties aren't transferrable.

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #6,237 of 12,299
I'm looking for a super sweet (semi-portable) dac/amp to driver planars and other difficult-to-drive headphones.

I had it narrowed down to the Geek Out V2 Infinity and the iFi IDSD micro.

Has anyone compared the two? I prefer the iFi - I've read some things about Light Harmonic Labs' business practices that seem a little sketchy.

I also don't like LH's warranties aren't transferrable.

Thanks!

I'd go for the ifi, those things do very well with planars and have better build quality, IMO. The GOV2 Infinity kinda disappointed me with planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back