Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 27, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,456 of 12,302
Just got My ETHER open today, man this can is awesome for metal, some people says bass-light but for me it's totally adequate.

I can confirm that this headphone is very suitable for metal unless you find it bass-light(you can eq this a bit +2db on the bass and it still sounds good to me, +3 or above then you may feel some degradation).

I don't find it bass-light so it's perfect for me.

The mid is detailed and very well textured with a good body, electric guitar sounds very nice with a good bite.

The treble is present all the time but it is not sharp and very detailed.

what I like the most is actually the body, the sound has a good body and is not thin, on contrast to the ETHER close which seems thin, this is a godsend!

I'm listening to Disturbed now and it sounds awesome.

btw, it sounds so good with the mojo, starting to wonder if I really need to buy a desktop amp for this, but THE LC is so tempting based on many opinions.

May 27, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #4,458 of 12,302
I'm really interested in trading my Audeze Sine in excellent condition for a pair of Meze 99 Classics plus cash (or other considerations).

I may also do a trade for a Fostex TH-X00.

I want something a little bassier, but also closed or semi-closed.

Pm me if you're interested.

May 27, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #4,459 of 12,302
The pair that I nabbed used was already 'burned in' or broken in. Checking the Ether thread, it seems that a good number of folks report the low end gaining a little bit of oomph to it after 100 hours or so. You might not even want to EQ 'em up any in a week or two.

Which cable did you go with? I'm using a Draug v2 and it's excellent imo; I've not heard the stock or DUM though to be fair.

Would you suggest that I stick to the Ether Open and save some time, effort, and money by not bothering with a potential trade for the Ether C if I don't require the additonal isolation?

I'm using 1/4 DUM cable, I don't really like to use EQ, as I feel the bass is enough for me, I was just playing around with the EQ to see how good this thing is, just like Tyll said in his review, it can take a little EQ.

since this is a headphone for metal thread, I assume you will be using this with metal mostly and other genres second.

I originally intend to buy the closed version, I demoed it 2 times and didn't like it with metal. I demoed it with The mojo.

The closed version is too thin for metal for me, but this is where the closed version got it's advantage in clarity and sound stage even though it is closed.
For classical music it works very nicely but for music that requires oomph in mid-bass and lower-mid, like metal, it has weaknesses.

it just doesn't work for me, it is brighter then the open version so the treble is more emphasized then the open one, cymbal hits feels a bit less natural then the open one, while electric guitar is thin and lacks body and can sound a little too analytical.
Soundstage although excellent is not as good as the open one and not as airy.
bass is excellent and tight but seriously lacks in quantity and weak impact to be good for metal.
speed is about the same.
detail is subjective as the closed on has blacker background and more emphasized treble, it does seems more detailed, but the open one is excellent already.

I did some research to make the closed version warmer and more suitable for metal:

1. use 2 black or 1 white pad, this will increase the bass but reduce soundstage and clarity a bit.

2. buy a warm SS or tube amp, more money needs to be spent on an amp that is on the warm side and maybe only pairs well with bright hp.
or maybe buy an amp that has an excellent bass boost function.

4. maybe use warm DAC like the mojo.

5. use ETHER open's pad (flat pad), again more money, and based on what Dan says in the site, the change is subtle. more bass but reduced soundstage.

6. use draug2 cable I saw a post that says it helps with the bass on the ETHER closed ( @atsq17 ), you have this already so it's good. I don't believe in cables too much, it will probably only help a bit and the change is very subtle. and again if you don't have it you need to spend more money.

7. maybe EQ the bass a bit, the open one is fine and I see no big change in the bass quality until +2db, on +3 I feel there are some degradation in quality, +4 don't do it unless you have a very high performance EQ system. I assume the ETHER C is  about the same.

8. burn in the hp for 200 hours or more.

all those combined will cost a lot more than just having a headphone that works straight away and sounds excellent with metal and any other genres of music out there.

I really tried to like the ETHER C and did a lot of research on it, but it just doesn't work for me as I am a metalhead due to its weaknesses.

If you really value isolation that much then it's probably worth it, if not then I suggest you to just use the open version.

I actually used the open version in my office and at home, I keep the volume low and no sound (or maybe only a little) is coming out from it, and no one complaint, I work in a team that sit closed to each other, if they call me I can hear them clearly which is good.

in my opinion you should stay with the ETHER open and forget about the C, The C is good for other genres but for metal it is unsuitable IMO as I tried both.

hope this helps.

btw, I saw you have a V181 amp, how is the synergy with ETHER on metal?
although I'm more interested with V200.

May 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #4,461 of 12,302
Uhhh. I love my V181 and felt the same way about my V100 before it. The V200 should be a bit warmer than both the V100/V181. They pair really well with treble tilted cans like beyer anything and the HD800. Plenty of power on tap for planars. Low output impedance accomodates to any headphone really. The noise floor is so incredibly low! Pre-gain steps are excellent. I leave mine at the minimum for more control over the potentiometer and it allows for the lowest starting point with regard to the noise floor.

Violectric amps definitely have a house sound. I tend to enjoy it with everything I plug into more than my previous amps (Schiit Magni V1, Asgard 2, FiiO E18, Matrix Mini-i Pro). None of my music collection is unlistenable on a Violectric amp. Plenty was unlistenable on the Schiit and FiiO gear if you're treble sensitive or absolutely loathe harsh, sibilant playback.

I do think that a V200 + Ether pairing will play nice with both audiophile quality metal and as lo-fi as possible metal. I have no complaints really. I don't feel like detail is lost, smeared or anything to that end. Some folks really like bright dacs and amps or really harsh ones... then pair them with bright headphones. I don't know how I used to live that way. Lol. I couldn't go back to that.

thx for the feedback man,

I'm a bit torn whether I should buy a desktop amp for the ETHER, it sounds so good with the mojo I'm starting to wonder if it will improve a lot on desktop amp.

I am an international worker and may need to go back to my country at some point, when that happens I need to sell the said desktop amp before I go back which is a bit of a bummer.
maybe I will buy a cavalli liquid spark instead, idk.

I normally prefer a neutral amp with a warm tilt to its sound just like the mojo.

May 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #4,463 of 12,302
Hello guys, opened a thread about it but got no answers detailed. What i want is a decent closed over-ear headphones with loud, good quality and comfortable. I can give maximum 150$ to it so im thinking about buying ATH M50x.

Sound leakage is important for me since im going to use it outdoors aswell, such as buses, cafe, etc. I never used a decent quality headphones before ( only used in-ear and my current in-ear headphone is creative ep-630 ) so what my expectation is to isolate you from outer-world and concert going on in your head kinda thing. Im going to use it through my laptop and smartphone usually ( galaxy note 4 ) and the files are generally MP3.

And not to mention that i listen mostly metal, but  sometimes house too. So i'd appreciate the bass aswell. Going to use it also with gaming and movies too. Thank you very much

May 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #4,464 of 12,302
  Hello guys, opened a thread about it but got no answers detailed. What i want is a decent closed over-ear headphones with loud, good quality and comfortable. I can give maximum 150$ to it so im thinking about buying ATH M50x.

Sound leakage is important for me since im going to use it outdoors aswell, such as buses, cafe, etc. I never used a decent quality headphones before ( only used in-ear and my current in-ear headphone is creative ep-630 ) so what my expectation is to isolate you from outer-world and concert going on in your head kinda thing. Im going to use it through my laptop and smartphone usually ( galaxy note 4 ) and the files are generally MP3.

And not to mention that i listen mostly metal, but  sometimes house too. So i'd appreciate the bass aswell. Going to use it also with gaming and movies too. Thank you very much

I think the M50x isn't good for Metal. If isolation is important you can try the Grado iGe or ATH MSR7 (used). They both sound great without decent amp/Dac. 

But it's very difficult to buy a pair that can plays both Metal and House well (also for gaming and movies). For Metal I think you'd want faster bass for House/gaming/movies you'd want more bass. They're not quite compatible. 

May 31, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #4,465 of 12,302
It looks like I am being forced back to headphones, at least for the foreseeable future.  My listening room  is doing double duty as an office as the office is now a bedroom.

I am looking for suggestions for cans under $500 and under $200. They can be open or closed and will only be used in the house.  I already have a Schiit Modi2U and will prob pick up a Vali2 amp. Sources are vinyl, CD and digital files.
Types of metal I listen too are NWOBHM, doom, stoner, thrash.  I also listen to some classic rock.

Thanks for the input.

BTW must be over the ear.  On ear are just to painful to wear.

May 31, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #4,466 of 12,302
It looks like I am being forced back to headphones, at least for the foreseeable future.  My listening room  is doing double duty as an office as the office is now a bedroom.

I am looking for suggestions for cans under $500 and under $200. They can be open or closed and will only be used in the house.  I already have a Schiit Modi2U and will prob pick up a Vali2 amp. Sources are vinyl, CD and digital files.
Types of metal I listen too are NWOBHM, doom, stoner, thrash.  I also listen to some classic rock.

Thanks for the input.

Grado sr60 /80

May 31, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4,467 of 12,302
Sorry I forgot to add over the ear only.  I have had Grado in the past and even with mods they are just to painfull to wear.

May 31, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,468 of 12,302

Thanks for the input.

400i was great with metal in that price range.  Not sure about your particular subgenres though.  I do know that the HD650 and Vali 2 is a beautiful pairing, though the HD650 lacks some bite for some with metal.  I believe the thx00 was spoken of highly for doom, though I haven't had a lot of time with them, only a brief listen at a meet.

May 31, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,469 of 12,302

Thanks for the input.

I'd go with a tonally darker headphone based on those genres and your predisposition toward speakers. The pre-fazor Audeze LCD-2 would be my choice and highest recommendation for your needs. You can probably find one with in your price range on the sale forum, they appear in there pretty regularly in the $500-$600 range.

On the less expensive side, I'd go with the Meze 99 Classic. It's an outstanding value for $300ish and offers a warm, sweet sound signature that will fit your genre preferences nicely.

May 31, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #4,470 of 12,302
I'd go with a tonally darker headphone based on those genres and your predisposition toward speakers. The pre-fazor Audeze LCD-2 would be my choice and highest recommendation for your needs. You can probably find one with in your price range on the sale forum, they appear in there pretty regularly in the $500-$600 range.

On the less expensive side, I'd go with the Meze 99 Classic. It's an outstanding value for $300ish and offers a warm, sweet sound signature that will fit your genre preferences nicely.

Still need to get my hands on a Meze 99, see what I'm missing out on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back