Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 31, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #4,471 of 12,359
Still need to get my hands on a Meze 99, see what I'm missing out on.

It's pretty nice for the money, especially for these kind of genres (where a warm, thick sound really helps the music sound its best).

May 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,473 of 12,359
It's pretty nice for the money, especially for these kind of genres (where a warm, thick sound really helps the music sound its best).

I think it depends on the genre though. For black metal, warm and thick would be the absolute least desirable traits for a headphone to possess in my opinion.

But for a lot of listeners it's probably the way to go from what I've read. Especially because I'm guessing it really smooths out rough production on rougher albums.

May 31, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #4,474 of 12,359
I think it depends on the genre though. For black metal, warm and thick would be the absolute least desirable traits for a headphone to possess in my opinion.

But for a lot of listeners it's probably the way to go from what I've read. Especially because I'm guessing it really smooths out rough production on rougher albums.

I disabled nested quotes, but this was part of a longer convo where someone was looking for a headphone for "NWOBHM, doom, stoner, thrash [and some] classic rock."

May 31, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #4,475 of 12,359
I disabled nested quotes, but this was part of a longer convo where someone was looking for a headphone for "NWOBHM, doom, stoner, thrash [and some] classic rock."

Then that makes perfect sense!

Hoping I can find a way to compare them to my PM-3 some day. Might just end up buying them down the road some time.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #4,476 of 12,359
I second the Meze Classic. Even with the HD 800 S and the Alpha Primes, I'm really missing the sound of those headphones. As soon as I can, I'm getting a pair.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #4,477 of 12,359
Thanks for the replies to my inquiry.

It looks like I have a very short list of 3 HP to consider.
1 Sennheiser HD650
2 HFM HE400i
3 Meze 99 Classic.

From what I can see they are all easily driven by the Schiit Vali2 and are all in the same price range of $300-400US.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #4,478 of 12,359

1 Sennheiser HD650
2 HFM HE400i
3 Meze 99 Classic.

From what I can see they are all easily driven by the Schiit Vali2 and are all in the same price range of $300-400US.

I also like the Beyerdynamic DT1770 (U-shaped signature) and the Audeze Sine, which is portable, but really good as well.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,479 of 12,359

1 Sennheiser HD650
2 HFM HE400i
3 Meze 99 Classic.

That is a pretty impressive short-list of cans...

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #4,483 of 12,359
Yep, Ultrasone Signature Pro is a good cans for metal. Precise, clean, and punchy. They realy can bite your butt.
The only complain is soundstage (headstage), that feels a tad limited with some tracks.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #4,484 of 12,359
  I've had my Ether Open for a month now and have no complaints. Don't think that I'll be changing any part of my rig any time soon. I may add a portable pair at some point, but atm I have no need for one. Feels good.

What's everyone using at the moment? Satisfied or still looking for something?

I've got my Dharma with my dedicated rig-Nuprime DAC-10H (a DAC, duh, preamp and HP amp). Using a Sonos connect with digital lossless files on a NAS as source most of the time. Some streaming. Overall quite happy, but I'm thinking of adding a second pair of cans-probably LCD-2. The Dharma is super revealing and detailed especially the top end but not forgiving of poor recordings and the bass is adequate most of the time, but lacks sub bass. I think the LCD-2 would give me a good alternative-great bass and more forgiving. That's where I'm at.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #4,485 of 12,359
  I've had my Ether Open for a month now and have no complaints. Don't think that I'll be changing any part of my rig any time soon. I may add a portable pair at some point, but atm I have no need for one. Feels good.

What's everyone using at the moment? Satisfied or still looking for something?

Currently satisfied with the ether, although I'm interested in purchasing the upcoming cavalli liquid spark, so my the future set up will be mojo -> spark -> ETHER.
this will be super awesome since I can just take it with me to use in my office, then take it back home for home use, full desktop set up is not transportable as we know.

for portable use I always use my trusty PM-3 straight from the mojo.

I think if in the future I feel I need to upgrade it will probably be the ETHER electrostats, atm perfectly happy with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back