Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 9, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,016 of 12,308
Oh don't get me curious about the X00's, I'm already looking at the X2's I can't afford to keep doing this haha XD

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #3,017 of 12,308
  Oh don't get me curious about the X00's, I'm already looking at the X2's I can't afford to keep doing this haha XD

hhh with all the Used TH X00s that are out an will be out I'd suggest you pick up a pair! They sound very very very good :D, as does a modded D2/5K 

Personally, I like the touch of bass that they bring to metal over my HE 4, don't get me wrong the HE 4 is fast as lighting an can SHRED some metal, an does an amazing job with Kick Drums... really it's a very Edgy Headphone an does a great job a REALLY driving some brutal riffs home... now it's hard to say which I like more :/ 

either way, most of the time a darker bassier headphone is my cup of tea for Metal. Oh the LCD 2 Fazor would SHRED some metal, a little better than the HE 4 actually/Sadly (speaking of which I should really save up for one of those) 

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3,018 of 12,308
I actually used to have some pre-fazor LCD-2's. I miss that sound but man they were big, heavy, and needed a burly amp and I just had to size down for money reasons. :/

I've heard the X2, although obviously not on that level, is a mid-fi headphone that can give me that taste again, but I don't know what to think about the X00. I didn't think a closed-back would be something I'd want over an open. Hmm.

I'm basically looking to trade my K712's for something here.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #3,019 of 12,308
  I actually used to have some pre-fazor LCD-2's. I miss that sound but man they were big, heavy, and needed a burly amp and I just had to size down for money reasons. :/

I've heard the X2, although obviously not on that level, is a mid-fi headphone that can give me that taste again, but I don't know what to think about the X00. I didn't think a closed-back would be something I'd want over an open. Hmm.

I'm thankful that I have a large head, so my neck an shoulders are used to the w8, another 400 grams isn't much thank gawd

but yea I use an Audio GD NFB 10ES2, thing wighs like 30 lbs or so xD so yea a big burly amp can be bother some 

still for right around $300, I'm tempted to say maybe go for a AH D2k used, as far as open backs go, I prefer my closed backs to my open back HE 4, even with Symphonic, the Alpha Pads on the AHD series really add a lot to the sound stage

But I've not heard the X2 to be able to compare, I do like my Grados for Metal though :O 

you could also luck out an grab a modded W1000X as well, they sound pretty kickin with some Animals as Leaders 

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #3,021 of 12,308

I replaced my K7XX (which is practically identical to the K712) with the X2. I much prefer the X2 for all musical genres except orchestral. I believe the X2 is a better pick because of its stronger bass and its ability to handle fast, complex music.

The AKGs can also handle complex music, but I liked the X2 better for most types of music. I used a Soundblaster X7 and an Oppo Ha-2 as sources/amps.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #3,022 of 12,308
X2's biggest flaw (for me) with metal is a lack of crunch from the guitars and the crack from the snares. That bass has a nice drive, but guitars (upper mids, treble) don't sound forward enough for my needs. My D2000, HD6xx and LCD-2.1 haven't had these problems at all. The Fidelio is a bit too polite for aggressive music.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3,023 of 12,308
X2's biggest flaw (for me) with metal is a lack of crunch from the guitars and the crack from the snares. That bass has a nice drive, but guitars (upper mids, treble) don't sound forward enough for my needs. My D2000, HD6xx and LCD-2.1 haven't had these problems at all. The Fidelio is a bit too polite for aggressive music.

I can see why you'd feel that way. I found the AKGs even more polite, and not a good match for metal.

I have a theory that planars are inherently better for metal, but I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet.

I'm intrigued by the new Fostex TH-X00, which seems to be a slightly more neutral D2000/D5000. The drawback to v-shaped headphones is that they sometimes suck out the mids, which really kills metal and rock.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,024 of 12,308
I have a theory that planars are inherently better for metal, but I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet.

My LCD-2F was pretty darn awesome for metal, but I feel my X2 giving 98% of it for much less. Planars are unbeatable for EDM, though, because of superior control over bass.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #3,025 of 12,308
Quote:

My LCD-2F was pretty darn awesome for metal, but I feel my X2 giving 98% of it for much less. Planars are unbeatable for EDM, though, because of superior control over bass.

Planars may be good for metal, if your tastes go that way. I can't imagine a headphone with rolled off treble to be good for metal, though. Sure, it would smoothen out the wrinkles of bad mastering or poor recordings, but on the other hand, I like my metal to sound aggressive.

Planars are pretty nice for EDM, I agree. That's the one type of music where I actually don't mind a bit of extra bass.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #3,026 of 12,308
  Quote:
Planars may be good for metal, if your tastes go that way. I can't imagine a headphone with rolled off treble to be good for metal, though. Sure, it would smoothen out the wrinkles of bad mastering or poor recordings, but on the other hand, I like my metal to sound aggressive.

Planars are pretty nice for EDM, I agree. That's the one type of music where I actually don't mind a bit of extra bass.

I find that backwards, honestly. Planars have the edge and midrange that make metal sound crunchy and mean, but dynamics give you the big thump and whallop. People talk about how Audezes are "bass kings" but... what they are is very good at having extra bass that sounds good. They are, by no stretch of the imagination, for "bassheads". That's where you'd want a TH900 or D7000 if you're talking high end headphones with tons of bass. Heck the M100s are better for rap and EDM than the LCD-2's by a fairly wide margin.

If someone told me they listen to a lot of EDM and that type of music, planars would be so far from my suggestion list.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #3,027 of 12,308
I find that backwards, honestly. Planars have the edge and midrange that make metal sound crunchy and mean, but dynamics give you the big thump and whallop. People talk about how Audezes are "bass kings" but... what they are is very good at having extra bass that sounds good. They are, by no stretch of the imagination, for "bassheads". That's where you'd want a TH900 or D7000 if you're talking high end headphones with tons of bass. Heck the M100s are better for rap and EDM than the LCD-2's by a fairly wide margin.

If someone told me they listen to a lot of EDM and that type of music, planars would be so far from my suggestion list.
OG HE400 has a ton of bass, and is no way basslight, basshead or not

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #3,028 of 12,308
OG HE400 has a ton of bass, and is no way basslight, basshead or not

I've heard them. The uh... really don't. Graphs will bear me out on that. By way of comparison, here's the M100 vs the HE400 (the old HE400 because headphone.com doesn't update very often)

I'm not linking that to "prove" anything, I'm using that image to support what my ears told me as soon as I spent some time with those things. I was expecting to get floored by how bassy the HE400s were and was left with a confused look on my face.

And keep in mind, bassheads will use bass boost on the M100s. Imagine what they'll think of the HE400. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,029 of 12,308
  Heck the M100s are better for rap and EDM than the LCD-2's by a fairly wide margin.

We're all making some rather sweeping statements (myself included), because there are as many preferences as there are people. For myself, I would think the HE-560s are pretty good for EDM or similar music. Just a little bit of extra thump to make it a bit more juicy, but not too much.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,030 of 12,308
I agree that we're making some sweeping statements, sure, but I will say that for MOST EDM/rap fans and bassheads, open backs are just not even an option without some serious EQ'ing. 

My journey into headphonia (haw) was through the basshead realm. I'd had a few good pairs in the past, but it wasn't until I snagged first the Monster DNA and then Beats Mixrs that I started wandering into expensive and quality headphones. I got my M100s and was in love. When I went to audition the LCD-2's and HE-400s, which at the time I'd been told were these massive bassy headphones, I was seriously underwhelmed by them. I left that day really happy with my M100s, not at all wishing I had the money to upgrade.

Fast forward to a while later when I sort of kicked the "basshead" habit and I bought some LCD-2's off a Head-Fi'er and, not expecting a huge bass response, suddenly they "clicked" with me and are still the best audio I've personally heard (LCD2+Lyr).

I'd never recommend them for people looking for slamming bass, but I will say for metal? Oh my LORD yes. Because they had that extension all the way down to 5Hz that meant kick drums thudded with authority, without the weird midbass hump, the mids keep guitars and most vocals pristine. Yeah the highs roll off a little but that just prevents the cymbals and way high guitar/vocal bits from being shrill. Speaking pre-fazor here, dunno how they sound with the fazor.

Also, I dunno if we're talking much about IEMs in hear but the SE846 does wonders for metal. I popped the foams out of the blue filters and now it's just about my ideal sound signature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back