Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 3, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #3,001 of 12,322
Hey guys, I've been using the Beyerdynamic DT990s for almost a year now and as much as I love them, there are some issues I've personally had with them, one of which is not being in an isolated enough environment for them. My budget is for the more basic level of headphones, so I am tossing up between the Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT770s.

For some background, I listen to Symphonic/Melodic extreme metal, mostly metalcore and deathcore (Make Them Suffer, Born of Osiris, In Hearts Wake, Erra, Betraying The Martyrs, Like Moths To Flames, etc).

If there are better recommendations for my listed genres, as long as they are not out of budget (preferably under $300 AUD) please let me know! Otherwise, which of the two (Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT770s) are the best for the genres of music I listen to?

Metalcore and deathcore are like 50% kick drum so the DT770 might be too bassy/bloated. I'd want something more like the SRH840 with tight but subdued bass. If you could swing it the MSR7 was pretty good when I tried it.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #3,002 of 12,322
Metalcore and deathcore are like 50% kick drum so the DT770 might be too bassy/bloated. I'd want something more like the SRH840 with tight but subdued bass. If you could swing it the MSR7 was pretty good when I tried it.

Cheers for the response. Would you definitely recommend the MSR7 over the SRH840s? They aren't the only genres I will be listening to but are definitely the main focus. What is modern hard rock like on them? I am also very worried about comfort if I go with the MSR7 after having experienced the ATH-M40x's for more than a few months. I could not stand the feel of the cushioning they used but the MSR7 might be a different kettle of fish altogether.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3,003 of 12,322
Cheers for the response. Would you definitely recommend the MSR7 over the SRH840s? They aren't the only genres I will be listening to but are definitely the main focus. What is modern hard rock like on them? I am also very worried about comfort if I go with the MSR7 after having experienced the ATH-M40x's for more than a few months. I could not stand the feel of the cushioning they used but the MSR7 might be a different kettle of fish altogether.

Hard to say. Neither are completely my to my usual preference, but I like both. The SRH840 was always the M50 killer to me back when they were equal in price. Its a slightly u-shaped, but close to neutral with a bit of a 1-note bass. From what I remember, the MSR7 is much more neutral with slightly better extension on both ends, a bit bright but with nice crunch/boost in the upper mids (my preference generally), and better textured bass, but less in the way of mid bass quantity. I think between the two is more preference than anything. As for the comfort, I found the original M50 to be a bit painful but the MSR7 didn't remind me of that. However, I didn't really use them long enough to tell.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,004 of 12,322
  Hey guys, I've been using the Beyerdynamic DT990s for almost a year now and as much as I love them, there are some issues I've personally had with them, one of which is not being in an isolated enough environment for them. My budget is for the more basic level of headphones, so I am tossing up between the Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT770s.

For some background, I listen to Symphonic/Melodic extreme metal, mostly metalcore and deathcore (Make Them Suffer, Born of Osiris, In Hearts Wake, Erra, Betraying The Martyrs, Like Moths To Flames, etc).

If there are better recommendations for my listed genres, as long as they are not out of budget (preferably under $300 AUD) please let me know! Otherwise, which of the two (Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT770s) are the best for the genres of music I listen to?

TBH I'd snag some X1's. The DT770 are damn good, though. I found the SRH840 far too boring. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #3,005 of 12,322
DT 770 80 ohm make all kick drums into Bolt Thrower Andy Whale drumming and the 250 ohm was harsh and metallic to me. The Shure 840 was cleaner than those and better than the original m50 (not the revision. I never ABed the 840 and the pre X revision). I haven't used DT 770s in years though except for the drummer version.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,006 of 12,322
  DT 770 80 ohm make all kick drums into Bolt Thrower Andy Whale drumming and the 250 ohm was harsh and metallic to me. The Shure 840 was cleaner than those and better than the original m50 (not the revision. I never ABed the 840 and the pre X revision). I haven't used DT 770s in years though except for the drummer version.

The only version you heard was the drummer version and you're surprised that they make the drums in a death metal album dominant...

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #3,007 of 12,322

I found the SRH840 far too boring. 

840 are very, very amp-dependent on "boring" factor. I listened them on E-MU 0404 for some time in a past and it was among deadliest-boring systems. But 840 fun-factor scale well with amplification improvement.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #3,008 of 12,322
  840 are very, very amp-dependent on "boring" factor. I listened them on E-MU 0404 for some time in a past and it was among deadliest-boring systems. But 840 fun-factor scale well with amplification improvement.

That just means the amp is colored in a way that makes the 840 less boring, essentially EQ'ing them to be more fun. Might as well just get a different set. I've had quite a few headphones over the years and the 840 are easily the pair I was happiest to sell. Different strokes for different folks, but if the answer is "get a different amp" then my response is "get different headphones instead". 

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,009 of 12,322
Get out of here Sennheiser, Hifi-Man and Fostex: Onkyo has collaborated with Iron Maiden to develop the most metal and best-looking headphones ever.

All of you are welcome!

Source: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-iron-maiden-launch-%E2%80%99phones-metal-heads

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,013 of 12,322
LMAO I'm legit curious!

Steve Harris has "uncompromising sonic standards" guys. We can trust him. He won't cut anything out.

Eat up that marketing boys. Eat it right up.

In all seriousness, these are probably based on Onkyo's decent ES-FC300 and ES-HF300. They're decent large on-ear headphones, and sometimes go on sale for about $60-75, which is a very nice price, after debuting at $180 and $150 (w/ the more expensive version getting a nicer cable).

So,these will probably be decent headphones based on the original Onkyo frivers, i would assume. I highly doubt they will be level of other good $300 closed headphones (NADs, Momentum, PSB U1, Audio Technica MSR7, etc.).

My recommendation is to read Tyll's review and try to grab the original for under $100. See his review below.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #3,015 of 12,322
:D I enjoyed the first post very much! I was happy to hear that the TH 900 did well with a wide variety of Metal Genres, while my metal tastes are some what limited to Djent, Progressive, Symphonic an Classic Heavy I find that I really enjoy the sound sig embodied by the TH 900

I own a TH X00 an a LA D5k, my TH X00 has Alpha pads which lends it self to a very nicely driven metal listening ^^ ofc I like my metal around 75dbs or so, which is where imo cans like the LA D5k an TH X00 do their best work ^^

Though I'll have to say I like the mids on the TH X00 a little better than on the LA D5k, though I sent out my LA D5k... today for Lawton pads an some general repairs, so the Lawton Pads may offer a improvement to the mids

either way, Denon/Fostex make my favorite headphones for metal! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back