Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 10, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,031 of 12,322
Feel free to start a 'headphones for EDM' thread guys...

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,032 of 12,322

I'd never recommend them for people looking for slamming bass, but I will say for metal? Oh my LORD yes. Because they had that extension all the way down to 5Hz that meant kick drums thudded with authority, without the weird midbass hump, the mids keep guitars and most vocals pristine. Yeah the highs roll off a little but that just prevents the cymbals and way high guitar/vocal bits from being shrill. Speaking pre-fazor here, dunno how they sound with the fazor. 

Totally agree with this. My pair is a fazor model and as far as I know the bass just tightens up a bit more and the soundstage expands quite a bit. The speed and impact of bass kick, plus insanely detailed and beautiful mids, and a slightly rolled off treble are all of the perfect components I need for metal.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #3,033 of 12,322
The 400i are just well extended. They have a very neutral amount of bass. Planars tend to have the upper mid range suckout that makes them less accurate for guitar tones but better for kicks and grindcore bass. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten is awesome on the 400i.

Has anyone tried the ATH-r70x? The HD 650 are great for crap recordings and accurate guitar tones but are slightly dark for less crap recordings. Some of the actual well recorded metal without high end problems makes me want an HD 625 as the HD 600 is slightly shouty in the upper mids. Guitar leads and cymbals are too in your face compared to the HD 650.

EDIT: The X2 is too V-shaped with bass bleed into the lower mids and too much treble for longer listening at the volumes recordings are mixed at. I don't even think it's worth looking at anymore for the price due to Philips gluing on the pads. You'll just be screwed in a couple years when you need to replace them and the headphones are out of warranty.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,034 of 12,322
  Fast forward to a while later when I sort of kicked the "basshead" habit and I bought some LCD-2's off a Head-Fi'er and, not expecting a huge bass response, suddenly they "clicked" with me and are still the best audio I've personally heard (LCD2+Lyr).

I'd never recommend them for people looking for slamming bass, but I will say for metal? Oh my LORD yes. Because they had that extension all the way down to 5Hz that meant kick drums thudded with authority, without the weird midbass hump, the mids keep guitars and most vocals pristine. Yeah the highs roll off a little but that just prevents the cymbals and way high guitar/vocal bits from being shrill. Speaking pre-fazor here, dunno how they sound with the fazor.

Also, I dunno if we're talking much about IEMs in hear but the SE846 does wonders for metal. I popped the foams out of the blue filters and now it's just about my ideal sound signature.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on SE846 with metal (black, death, doom, grind, sludge in particular). I'm looking for new IEMs and am currently contemplating between SE846 and Earsonics S-EM6. I love LCD-2f and am seeking something similar in the IEM context. I've understood that some regard SE846 as the LCD2/LCD3 equivalent.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #3,035 of 12,322
  The 400i are just well extended. They have a very neutral amount of bass. Planars tend to have the upper mid range suckout that makes them less accurate for guitar tones but better for kicks and grindcore bass. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten is awesome on the 400i.

Some planars, maybe.  In my experience with the HFM HE-5LE, HE-560, the wonderful 400i, as well as the Alpha Dog and Alpha Prime, I think I can accurately state that planar as a technology does not have the suckout.  some cans, probably so, but the same can be written about a lot of dynamics as well.

+1 for the 400i though!

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,036 of 12,322
  Somem planars, maybe.  In my experience with the HFM HE-5LE, HE-560, the wonderful 400i, as well as the Alpha Dog and Alpha Prime, I think I can accurately state that planar as a technology does not have the suckout.  some cans, probably so, but the same can be written about a lot of dynamics as well.

+1 for the 400i though!

Coming from near fields and the HD 600/650 the Hifimen do. Not as bad as the Audeze house mids though. My real qualms with Hifiman is the build quality. The builds just scream cost reduced like Harman AKGs. Not Focal bad though where the headband was CREAKING out of the box.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,038 of 12,322

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on SE846 with metal (black, death, doom, grind, sludge in particular). I'm looking for new IEMs and am currently contemplating between SE846 and Earsonics S-EM6. I love LCD-2f and am seeking something similar in the IEM context. I've understood that some regard SE846 as the LCD2/LCD3 equivalent.

You should give the Noble K10 and the Westone W60 a try, if budget allows. I honestly think the K10 makes a good argument for best flagship metal headphone overall... even as an IEM. The Westone W60 is pretty darn close and $500 cheaper. It's a touch less emotional and expressive through the mids... and the K10 offers more nuance, ambience and plankton. Aside from that, they are very, very close.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,040 of 12,322
Sampling a pair right now I'd like to add to consideration.

The Audeze EL-8

To put it mildly... oh my lord. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,041 of 12,322
  Sampling a pair right now I'd like to add to consideration.

The Audeze EL-8

To put it mildly... oh my lord. 

Is it that bad? LOL.

Open or closed?

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3,043 of 12,322
May I suggest the JVC DX1000. This mammyjammer is kickin ass right now with some Lamb of God. Just finished Psycroptic "Carriers of the Plague". As much if not more but tighter bass than Denon D7000. More and clearer mids...I can hear every instrument and evrrything they're doing. Very nice.
The recessed mids on the D7000 and TH600 and THX00 dont allow me to hear all the subtle details like the DX1000

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,044 of 12,322

I'm sorry, which planars have you tried?

Audeze LCD 2, 2F, 3, 3F, X. Hifiman 400i,S, 560. Oppo PM-3. Fostex T20, 40,50p not counting mods. The mids just don't tend to be as even and clean as with the better dynamic drivers.

Makes sense why you'd have that impression. Give the HE-6 and the Ether a try sometime.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #3,045 of 12,322
I'm confused why the EL-8 seem to have a weird reputation around here. I think they sound incredible and nearly all the reviews I find echo this, but I see folks putting up that one measurement Tyll took and say this is proof they're terrible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back