Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 20, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,686 of 12,299
  For Candlemass, Black Sabbath, Ahab, Swallow the Sun I would go for Mad Dogs. Gojira, Septic Flesh, Ahab (again!)), Swallow the Sun, and Agalloch - K712.

My personal "The best" list for year 2014

Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
Anaal Nathrakh - Desideratum
Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion
At The Gates - At War With Reality
Autopsy - Tourniquets, Hacksaws And Graves
Behemoth - The Satanist
Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta – Saturnian Poetry
Conan - Blood Eagle
Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us
Earth - Primitive and Deadly
Eyehategod - Eyehategod
Falconer - Black Moon Rising
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi
Khold - Til Endes
Mantar - Death by Burning
Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
Misery Index - The Killing Gods
Monolord - Empress Rising
Nadja - Queller
Opeth - Pale Communion
Origin - Omnipresent
Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
Quintessence Mystica - Duality
Sabaton - Heroes
Schammasch - Contradiction
Septic Flesh - Titan
Serdce - Timelessness
Slugdge - Gastronomicon
Soreption - Engineering the Void
Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials
The Contortionist - Language
Thou - Heathen
Unearth - Watchers of Rule
Vader - Tibi et Igni

How about Fostex TH600? How does Fostex TH600 compare to AKG K712? Considering the price, TH600 cost twice the price of K712.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,687 of 12,299
How about Fostex TH600? How does Fostex TH600 compare to AKG K712? Considering the price, TH600 cost twice the price of K712.

Closed back headphones like the TH600 are much less cost efficient than open back headphones. I would not be surprised if the K712s were on the same level or above in technicalities. However, they both have extremely different sound signatures so it is hard to compare.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #2,688 of 12,299

I, no questions, prefer 600 to 712. AKG 712 are really good cans, they are among the very best of middle-tier cans. Fostex 600 are not among very best top cans, but they're in top tier, no doubts.
Considering the price, law of diminishing returns work here. 600 are not twice as good as 712 (whatever this means anyway)))

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,689 of 12,299
http://www.metal-fi.com/

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,690 of 12,299
Hey guys,

I was able to do some comparisons the other day (HE-500 vs T1 Gen1 and a LCD-2F) and I want to know, if someone knows a headphone that has following traits:
Bass like the HE-500 or the LCD
Vocals like the LCD
Soundstage and resolution like the T1

I don't plan to sell my HE-500 anytime soon, because I don't think that I will get a better bang for the buck headphone (at least in the hifi segment), but I just want to know, on which headphone I should keep an eye on :wink:

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,691 of 12,299
Hey guys,

I was able to do some comparisons the other day (HE-500 vs T1 Gen1 and a LCD-2F) and I want to know, if someone knows a headphone that has following traits:
Bass like the HE-500 or the LCD
Vocals like the LCD
Soundstage and resolution like the T1

I don't plan to sell my HE-500 anytime soon, because I don't think that I will get a better bang for the buck headphone (at least in the hifi segment), but I just want to know, on which headphone I should keep an eye on :wink:

HE6, basically. It has better bass than those headphones though.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #2,693 of 12,299
I found the Fidelio X2 super nice for metal, especially progressive death/djent kind of thing. Great bass and layering, wide soundstage. Good detail and instrument separation.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,694 of 12,299
Lol, I guess there is no way around the HE-6.

How does the soundstage  of the HE-6 compare to the HE-500?

Alas I've not heard the 500. A well driven 6, from all I have seen outclasses the 500 in basically everything (which may not mean it's better for everyone, some will prefer the more lush sound of the 500).

Oct 24, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #2,695 of 12,299
HE6, basically. It has better bass than those headphones though.

Lol, I guess there is no way around the HE-6.

How does the soundstage  of the HE-6 compare to the HE-500?

Depends on the setup. Give it a good source and amp it right, and the HE-6 will be just as big as the T1 (with maybe just a hair less depth - the T1 really projects out in front of you). Soundstage is bigger than the HE500 by a significant margin comparing stock forms of both HPs. Stock HE-6 is still bigger than a re-grilled HE500. Bass on a well amped HE-6 is really only equaled or bested by the Abyss and the LCD-4 (and perhaps the LCD2 and LCD3 with the right amp and cable... The only time I heard the LCD2 get close was with a $700 Kimber Cable and a very, very high-end amp and DAC setup.)

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #2,696 of 12,299
Fellas, with all these headphones for metal, would any of you wager which ones would also do large scale symphonic classical works? I've been adding classical to my repertoire along with my old head bagnin ways......with better fidelity it seems I have an ear for classical and jazz in a way I never did before. Thing is, I still want my system to have the grunt and power for metal!

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,697 of 12,299
Fellas, with all these headphones for metal, would any of you wager which ones would also do large scale symphonic classical works? I've been adding classical to my repertoire along with my old head bagnin ways......with better fidelity it seems I have an ear for classical and jazz in a way I never did before. Thing is, I still want my system to have the grunt and power for metal!

Remind me what kind of metal you like again Mark...

And you're a big Grado guy right?

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,698 of 12,299

I have a thread for jazz :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/777266/best-headphones-for-jazz
I'm not serious classical music listener, but Senns 800 come first at hand when I have a mood to place something classical into my mind.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2,699 of 12,299
Remind me what kind of metal you like again Mark...

And you're a big Grado guy right?

Hey, I have a Grado RS1i, but I'm not a hardcore Gradohead. I'm just looking to upgrade to one nice set of cans to cover a lot of bases. Tall order.  I’ve been looking at LCD-2 F, maybe the Dharma once the dust settles there and there are some actual reviews, possibly the 560…the usual suspects really. But options are open... 

I’m in the $1,000’ish range…with cable upgrade no more than $1500. And, really listen to all manner of metal, punk, alternate/indie, prog, jazz and classical. Even some pop and electronic So I can’t be very specific. Doh!!!

The lion share of my listening is rock and metal. Everything from Dylan/Floyd to Zeppelin/Sabbath, thrash, some DM and some BM. I have an ear for weird, experimental droney post rock stuff too like Swans

I’m not a big grind fan, PM (outside of classic B. Guardian and Helloween) or tech death. But, I like OSDM quite a bit. I'll listen to stoner metal, and I’m listening to a lot of Doom these days but that’s mostly because I’ll listen to whatever looks like a good album and I think there are some great doom/sludge records as of late.

Among others this year I’ve been listening to Chelsea Wolfe, Courtney Barnett, Steven Wilson, Slater-Kinney, Blur, Thou, Bell Witch (probably my favorite this year), MDB, Iron Maiden, Mykur, Tau Cross, Leviathan, Tau Cross, The Gentle Storm, Failure (excellent 90'ish alt/grungish album), Tribulation, HOF, classic 50’s-60’s jazz, some Metheny and the great classical composers-Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, etc.

Yeah-I'm a genre whore and all over the freaking map....other than not much hip hop, top 40 or country....it's all good to me!

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #2,700 of 12,299
Genre masters for me would be HE6, 560, Ether (but I really think the Ether needs a tube amp to ameliorate it's slightly lean sound). Dharma might be too, but of course we don't really know yet where the consensus needle will fall given they're new. Ether C, if the thickness and bass performance improved over the Ether, could be the ultimate all rounder for all use-cases. Mine arrives soon, holding on to my Ether until then for comparisons (love the comfort of the Ether, but sound wise it isn't a challenger for my HE6 to my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back