Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #166 of 12,315
Sep 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #168 of 12,315
So true, in the short time I tried them out, they were great with metal. Many maybe would think that they would not be but I liked the sound?

I have to get a pair.

I bought 650 twice. And I'm going to sell them for the second time )) Not my sound. 600 are much better for me, by the way.

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #169 of 12,315

I bought 650 twice. And I'm going to sell them for the second time )) Not my sound. 600 are much better for me, by the way.

HD 600 are a little bit darker?

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #170 of 12,315
Sep 1, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #171 of 12,315
A little bit more clear and bright. 600 don't have the "veil" of 650.

Oh, the opposite, I got ya. I have had some experience with both HD 600 and HD 650 at Head-fi meets. Amazing how they just don't fall away from the limelight here at Head-fi.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #172 of 12,315
Oh, the opposite, I got ya. I have had some experience with both HD 600 and HD 650 at Head-fi meets. Amazing how they just don't fall away from the limelight here at Head-fi.

A living classic )

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #175 of 12,315
So, let's continue ... What's new:
  - Added a couple of columns in a table - Price and Amp hunger. Interested to hear views on the column "Amp hunger"))
  - AKG Q701 review

AKG Q701
Perhaps I like, I like very much the concept of AKG sound (this cold, crisp, sharp, slightly detached sound, wide soundstage) on metal. Q701 respectively at the basic level, for me personally, stand quite on a par with the other leaders. But. If you compare Q701 with the K712... 712 is actually higher on the head.

So, Q701. We have a little lack of bass for the metal. Smooth, cool midrange. Slightly accented highs. The soundstage is wide, spacious.

Where 701 are good:
Progressive: And once again the wide soundstage, great technique and cold sound flavour add up to radically adequate combination for genre. A slight bass shortage becomes invisible.
Symphonic: Impressions are the same as on Progressive. With regard to the genre may be noted, Nightwish old albums sound nice, despite the "technicality" of cans. Interesting.
Goth: What killer-doctors prescribed. Wide, cold and gloomy.
Power: It is spacious, transparent, cool. Successfull.
Grindcore: Thin sharp needles come just under the nails with hammers. Jackhammers. Impressive.
Black: Not enough bass-power, but more than enough of resolution. Clear, wide and involving.
Death: Not enough of bass pressure, but fierce sparks fly from the eyes. Speed and accuracy - strictly in place.

What is to criticize:
Doom: Fat broth with ground bone (must have for the Doom) is not cooked. Alas.  Sludge, Stoner: Not so bad as on Doom, but nothing good also. Scrapes and scratches instead of humming rolls as would befit.
Alternative: Technically good, but perhaps too cold and neutral, there is no emotional fusion with rather frivolous genre.
Industrial: Brushed metal in the sound. But. Cans stroke the metal, they're not beating on the head with it.
Thrash: Oh. Too much of brightness, electric welding. Where are my sunglasses? ,

Overall, I repeat. Q701 for me among the basic level leaders.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #176 of 12,315
  - Added a couple of columns in a table - Price and Amp hunger. Interested to hear views on the column "Amp hunger"))
  - AKG Q701 review

AKG Q701
Perhaps I like, I like very much the concept of AKG sound (this cold, crisp, sharp, slightly detached sound, wide soundstage) on metal. Q701 respectively at the basic level, for me personally, stand quite on a par with the other leaders. But. If you compare Q701 with the K712... 712 is actually higher on the head.

So, Q701. We have a little lack of bass for the metal. Smooth, cool midrange. Slightly accented highs. The soundstage is wide, spacious.

Where 701 are good:
Progressive: And once again the wide soundstage, great technique and cold sound flavour add up to radically adequate combination for genre. A slight bass shortage becomes invisible.
Symphonic: Impressions are the same as on Progressive. With regard to the genre may be noted, Nightwish old albums sound nice, despite the "technicality" of cans. Interesting.
Grindcore: Thin sharp needles come just under the nails with hammers. Jackhammers. Impressive.
Black: Not enough bass-power, but more than enough of resolution. Clear, wide and involving.
Death: Not enough of bass pressure, but fierce sparks fly from the eyes. Speed and accuracy - strictly in place.

What is to criticize:
Doom: Fat broth with ground bone (must have for the Doom) is not cooked. Alas.  Sludge, Stoner: Not so bad as on Doom, but nothing good also. Scrapes and scratches instead of humming rolls as would befit.
Alternative: Technically good, but perhaps too cold and neutral, there is no emotional fusion with rather frivolous genre.
Industrial: Brushed metal in the sound. But. Cans stroke the metal, they're not beating on the head with it.
Thrash: Oh. Too much of brightness, electric welding. Where are my sunglasses? ,

waiting for your review with hd600 8^)

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #177 of 12,315
Sep 4, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #178 of 12,315

- AKG Q701 review

AKG Q701

Where 701 are good:

What is to criticize:

So interesting to read this, have not heard the Q701 but have had a long relationship with metal and the k701. From reading the interface of the Q701s it seems like maybe the same genre recommendations would flow over to the k701s? What do you think?

My biggest thoughts are that the AKG sound signature needs time for understanding. If you were at a meet or a headphone store and just randomly put on AKGs they may not sound right.

After mental and physical burn in they start to do metal in a way. The 400 hour burn in is quite a task, being best to be let to burn-in for three weeks straight.

After burn-in there is a noticeable increase in bass and a silky smoothness. I figure that the drivers bend and become more supple just like wearing new shoes? The main thing for me is instrument placement. Not only in the soundstage nice but instruments get put in different places which actually seem correct. Still I have never though they would be an instant recommendation.

I'm listening to the new Deathstars "The Perfect Cult" and it is fantastic on the k701s. My thoughts are any AKG headphones need the three weeks to get good?

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #179 of 12,315
Strangely, I've read that there are enough differences between the K and the Q701 to make it worth trying both, or just reading up on them here to decide.  In my case, I produce Industrial Metal/Bass Metal, along with piano and Gothic pieces.  I really like the idea of having a headset with stronger bass response, but I end up really needing something so I can produce and master in general, but focus on things like transient limiting and reverb tails.  So I usually end up doing a lot of work with my Sony MDR-V6s (with Beyerdynamic pads) that I've had forever driven out of my DAW via ASIO and through my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 I/O box.  I graphically meter the low end that I'm not getting, and then make a few passes through KRK Rokit 8 G3 monitors.  Once close, I render and then play through all kinds of devices and headphone/earbuds, although I've been fascinated with the sound of my new FiiO E18 DAC/Amp when connected to my Galaxy Note 3 and Nexus 7.  Eventually I have to settle for an MP3 render and see what's lost on the monitoring gear, and then how much is noticeable on commodity hardware and/or when converted for use on places like SoundCloud.

I bring this up because I wanted to know if you noticed any strong differences in bass performance when using WAV/AIFF sources versus the typical MP3 stuff that's made available.  In addition, did you have the ability to see if there were patterns among the music selections, such as Dynamic Range/Crest-Fall values that worked better than others, and might actually follow along the sub-genre lines?  I tend to master along the K-12 system leaving at least a full -1.0 dBFS at the absolute peak, with my industrial stuff running along a DR rating of 7+, and the piano work sitting at 12+.

If I had the money, I'd probably buy the Sennheiser HD 800 because it's easier to verbally discuss mastering decisions I know with others that are using them, but I can't quite do that just yet.  Besides, I can get the Q701 in lime and exchange cables with my Pioneer HDJ-2000-K headphones.  :wink:

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #180 of 12,315
Strangely, I've read that there are enough differences between the K and the Q701 to make it worth trying both, or just reading up on them here to decide.  In my case, I produce Industrial Metal/Bass Metal, along with piano and Gothic pieces.  I really like the idea of having a headset with stronger bass response, but I end up really needing something so I can produce and master in general, but focus on things like transient limiting and reverb tails.  So I usually end up doing a lot of work with my Sony MDR-V6s (with Beyerdynamic pads) that I've had forever driven out of my DAW via ASIO and through my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 I/O box.  I graphically meter the low end that I'm not getting, and then make a few passes through KRK Rokit 8 G3 monitors.  Once close, I render and then play through all kinds of devices and headphone/earbuds, although I've been fascinated with the sound of my new FiiO E18 DAC/Amp when connected to my Galaxy Note 3 and Nexus 7.  Eventually I have to settle for an MP3 render and see what's lost on the monitoring gear, and then how much is noticeable on commodity hardware and/or when converted for use on places like SoundCloud.

I bring this up because I wanted to know if you noticed any strong differences in bass performance when using WAV/AIFF sources versus the typical MP3 stuff that's made available.  In addition, did you have the ability to see if there were patterns among the music selections, such as Dynamic Range/Crest-Fall values that worked better than others, and might actually follow along the sub-genre lines?  I tend to master along the K-12 system leaving at least a full -1.0 dBFS at the absolute peak, with my industrial stuff running along a DR rating of 7+, and the piano work sitting at 12+.

If I had the money, I'd probably buy the Sennheiser HD 800 because it's easier to verbally discuss mastering decisions I know with others that are using them, but I can't quite do that just yet.  Besides, I can get the Q701 in lime and exchange cables with my Pioneer HDJ-2000-K headphones.  :wink:

I use to do music production with MDR -V6 headphones. The analogy I use is the Sony headphones are the optical microscope showing detail in correct color where the k701s are a video on the 65 inch LCD TV. I'm actually surprised they get used in studios over the Sony MDR-V6s? Still I have not tried to Q701 so I may not have a clue as to what I'm talking about?

The HD 800 are maybe the most flat headphones I have heard. At times not entertaining or fun, but clear. Though I have to say in some systems the HD 800s can become absolutely amazing at perfect holographic imagery and perfect sound item placement in the head-stage. HD 800 are maybe the fastest headphones I have heard. So the HD 800s ended up being entertaining with the right source and amp choice.

Sen HD 800s would be a help in mixing, just by being so clear and flat.

I would think the loss of some bass on k701s would cause the producer to peg his bass EQ on the mixing board resulting in a muddy mix on any other playback. On that note my mixes always became more clear when I was aware of the bass running together and polluting my timing? Of course were always told to listen to the mix in a bunch of playback systems.

Seems like you could EQ AKGs to get a flat mix response except for the club that insists you can't get a frequency response if the headphones will not do it in the first place.

I think wave and mp3 are a noticeably different but think it has to do with the listener and system scaleability in regards to quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back