Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 14, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #11,461 of 12,293
Yup, nailed it - classic rock, prog rock, rock/fusion - all great. Boston, Journey, early Genesis, Camel, etc - ZMF does really well with this material. I'd say roughly most rock/metal after 1984, when production gets digital, then ZMF fall short.
Great insight, as I'm considering them but I listen mostly to rock/metal stuff produced in the digital era (porcupine tree, dire straits, opeth, Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend, Plini, etc).
Is it there any relaxed/warm open-back headphone you suggest for this music? I'm looking for a complementary one for my Arya SE, for when I don't want to actively listen to the music.

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #11,462 of 12,293
Great insight, as I'm considering them but I listen mostly to rock/metal stuff produced in the digital era (porcupine tree, dire straits, opeth, Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend, Plini, etc).
Is it there any relaxed/warm open-back headphone you suggest for this music? I'm looking for a complementary one for my Arya SE, for when I don't want to actively listen to the music.
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, as I don't really like relaxed and warm headphones for metal....someone else might be able to chip in here.

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #11,463 of 12,293
Final D8000 suits the "warm and relaxed" but is still exciting and never fatiguing for listening to metal better than any headphone I've heard. On a budget I'd honestly just stick with a 6XX/650. The in-between mid priced headphones never satisfied me.

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #11,465 of 12,293
Final D8000 suits the "warm and relaxed" but is still exciting and never fatiguing for listening to metal better than any headphone I've heard. On a budget I'd honestly just stick with a 6XX/650. The in-between mid priced headphones never satisfied me.
Damn so 300 or 3000 ? Poor me, I'm gonna get dumped!

Actually I've got some good recommendation toward an Audio Technica R70X which seems like a good alternative to the hd650. It's very important that the Headphone is good out of the box, I don't like to EQ (which is why I don't stick with the cans I already have).

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #11,466 of 12,293
Advice sought: DT1770 or DT1990? I currently own a pot of Amiron Homes which are amazing to dream away with progressive rock. For progressive metal I’m missing something — I think it could use a bit more aggression and clarity.

If I were to choose between the DT1770 and DT1990, which should I get to compliment my Amirons?

I kind of dig that the 1770’s are closed next to my open Amirons, useful for listening in the living room with the wife watching TV. Not a strict requirement though, she doesn’t mind the current bleeding of the Amirons. I’m reading very different opinions on the 1770’s though… that 6-10 dB dip around 250 Hz looks scary! Unfortunately no opportunities to audition.

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #11,467 of 12,293
Advice sought: DT1770 or DT1990? I currently own a pot of Amiron Homes which are amazing to dream away with progressive rock. For progressive metal I’m missing something — I think it could use a bit more aggression and clarity.

If I were to choose between the DT1770 and DT1990, which should I get to compliment my Amirons?

I kind of dig that the 1770’s are closed next to my open Amirons, useful for listening in the living room with the wife watching TV. Not a strict requirement though, she doesn’t mind the current bleeding of the Amirons. I’m reading very different opinions on the 1770’s though… that 6-10 dB dip around 250 Hz looks scary! Unfortunately no opportunities to audition.
Honestly try a T1 or T5

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #11,469 of 12,293
Are the Abbys 1266 Phi TC the best for metal? I really like Zach with the zmf headphones. I have the Atticus from him and really like them. Another question. What's the best zmf headphone for metal? 😁

Thanks for your time,
Thomas

Going contra to some of the recent responses, I find the Atrium terrific for metal. I like it a bit better all-around compared to the Verite, but both worked well for me. That's with metal across the spectrum....Doom/Stoner, Death, Black, Trad, Power. I've yet come across anything that is perfect in every case....and I find my ZMF's play best with all-tube or tube-hybrid vs, my solid state amps. The Atriums have a pretty snappy bio-cellulose driver + strong magnet array....you can quibble the tuning, but from a build standpoint not something you'd expect to be slow in response provided you are driving them with requisite horsepower. I was just listening to Archspire early this morning....and no want of keeping up on the Atriums. Metal may be the ultimate YMMV genre when it comes to headphones, so no counter to the other opinions shared....just a data point for you.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #11,471 of 12,293
Hi there! Beyrdynamic 1770 vs Denon 7200 for extreme metal. Which one is better regardless price difference?
I'd put my money on the Denon being better. However you still might prefer the 1770. Any chance you could try both?

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #11,473 of 12,293
No unfortunately. I'd like to get deep yet tight bass with good impact, clean extended highs and warmish mids.
I think you'd be happy with either based on that. But I'd rank the Denon 7200 in a higher tier than the 1770 personally.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #11,474 of 12,293
Hello, I need advice and I thought this would be a good place to ask.
I am looking into getting headphones (or even earphones) within my budget of 60 dollars. I know it is not a lot, but I hope there is something in there that is at least passable.
The genres I usually listen to are metalcore, deathcore, etc.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #11,475 of 12,293
Hello, I need advice and I thought this would be a good place to ask.
I am looking into getting headphones (or even earphones) within my budget of 60 dollars. I know it is not a lot, but I hope there is something in there that is at least passable.
The genres I usually listen to are metalcore, deathcore, etc.
See if you can find the Thinksound On2 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back