Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #11,477 of 12,279
Can not find those anywhere D:
You could post a wanted add in the classifieds. For 60 bucks, there really aren't a whole lot of decent sounding cans out there. Maybe some IEMs, but I don't listen to them. Perhaps you can find a set of AKG K361s used or on sale somewhere.

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #11,478 of 12,279
Check out the chifi / budget iem thread. Plenty there.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #11,479 of 12,279
I'm listening to some thrash and death - Exodus, Kreator, Deicide - with Sundara, 2020 revision. I also had Ananda.

Sundara are much more intimate and punchy, they hit harder, while Ananda was a more relaxed listen.

Outstanding cleanliness of the sound, I believe you will never hear mud or congestion even with the most demanding music.

I think they are great for analytical listening, but also quite fun. The only caveat is the slightly spicy highs - but tolerable.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #11,480 of 12,279
I'm listening to some thrash and death - Exodus, Kreator, Deicide - with Sundara, 2020 revision. I also had Ananda.

Sundara are much more intimate and punchy, they hit harder, while Ananda was a more relaxed listen.

Outstanding cleanliness of the sound, I believe you will never hear mud or congestion even with the most demanding music.

I think they are great for analytical listening, but also quite fun. The only caveat is the slightly spicy highs - but tolerable.
Yeah I'd take Sundara over the Ananda, it's a very boring headphone. At least the pre-stealth magnet version was...

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #11,483 of 12,279
Anyone here said the Beyer 1990 is good for metal. But is it not very spicy in the heights and not easy to listen to (hissing S-Sounds for instance). So better for electronic or pop but not for metal? A Denon 5200 does a better job in this genre or not?

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #11,484 of 12,279
The 1990 is going to be the brighter headphone of the two, but some folks prefer that for metal, genre specific or not. The 5200 isn't necessarily going to offer the same level of excitement, but it's still dynamic, energetic, and lively enough imo. It really just boils down to subjective preferences. Therefore, nobody can really conclude which is best for metal, aside from personal taste.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #11,485 of 12,279
The 1990 is going to be the brighter headphone of the two, but some folks prefer that for metal, genre specific or not. The 5200 isn't necessarily going to offer the same level of excitement, but it's still dynamic, energetic, and lively enough imo. It really just boils down to subjective preferences. Therefore, nobody can really conclude which is best for metal, aside from personal taste.
Very good reply here :beerchug:

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #11,486 of 12,279
Or a DT1770, they say. It has much lower treble than the DT1990.

Another option: DT1990 with lambskin pads. Those also tame the highs.

I don’t own either yet, but have been eyeing them. Currently own a Amiron Home which is great but lacks a bit of aggression that metal could use, and have a T1.2 coming in.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #11,487 of 12,279
Greetings. I come from the IEM side of the head-fi world and I am more or less an analphabet when it comes to the full-sized cans. I bought the "legendary" DT770s years ago but I took them out of their pouch two or three times as I am just not seduced by their neutral/bright sound signature. When I hear adjectives like sparkly, analytical, transparent etc. I start to sweat. So yes, I prefer warm-ish, non-fatiguing sound signature with a beefy sound presentation. Black and death metal are dominating my library, both sub-genres on the avant-garde/technical side (Ulcerate, Deathspell Omega etc.), so I am not looking for anything overly warm aka "dark", as for this kind of music I still need a decent amount of "technicality". I have spent couple of days assembling my short list of potential candidates, I started with the open-back ones (HIFIMAN Ananda and LCD-2 Classic) but I quickly shelved them as I would use my cans mostly on the go and not for the home use. That as well means that I should avoid anything that is hard to drive and the stuff my HiBy FC4 dongle couldn't handle. So eliminating open-back planars and hard to drive sets, I am left with:

Shure SRH1540
Beyerdynamic dt700 pro x
Sennheiser Mumentum 3

Momentum's are indeed wireless, but I think they may have the sound I am seeking, impactful low end while not sacrificing an absurd amount of detail. I read in this thread
that the DT700 pro X's are the warmer, smoother brother of my DT770s, so this could as well be an interesting option. The Shure pair has been recommended in here as well, but that is the set I know the least about. My budget would be around the 700$, 800$ mark so I assume there are some decent options in this price range. I would appreciate any comment on these cans above, or additional suggestions according to established parameters. Apologies for this lengthy post, but I thought that it would be beneficial to include as much info as possible into it.

tl, dr: looking for suggestions for beefy/warm-ish closed-back headphones in the sub 800$ range.

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #11,489 of 12,279
Greetings. I come from the IEM side of the head-fi world and I am more or less an analphabet when it comes to the full-sized cans. I bought the "legendary" DT770s years ago but I took them out of their pouch two or three times as I am just not seduced by their neutral/bright sound signature. When I hear adjectives like sparkly, analytical, transparent etc. I start to sweat. So yes, I prefer warm-ish, non-fatiguing sound signature with a beefy sound presentation. Black and death metal are dominating my library, both sub-genres on the avant-garde/technical side (Ulcerate, Deathspell Omega etc.), so I am not looking for anything overly warm aka "dark", as for this kind of music I still need a decent amount of "technicality". I have spent couple of days assembling my short list of potential candidates, I started with the open-back ones (HIFIMAN Ananda and LCD-2 Classic) but I quickly shelved them as I would use my cans mostly on the go and not for the home use. That as well means that I should avoid anything that is hard to drive and the stuff my HiBy FC4 dongle couldn't handle. So eliminating open-back planars and hard to drive sets, I am left with:

Shure SRH1540
Beyerdynamic dt700 pro x
Sennheiser Mumentum 3

Momentum's are indeed wireless, but I think they may have the sound I am seeking, impactful low end while not sacrificing an absurd amount of detail. I read in this thread
that the DT700 pro X's are the warmer, smoother brother of my DT770s, so this could as well be an interesting option. The Shure pair has been recommended in here as well, but that is the set I know the least about. My budget would be around the 700$, 800$ mark so I assume there are some decent options in this price range. I would appreciate any comment on these cans above, or additional suggestions according to established parameters. Apologies for this lengthy post, but I thought that it would be beneficial to include as much info as possible into it.

tl, dr: looking for suggestions for beefy/warm-ish closed-back headphones in the sub 800$ range.
Yes, you should consider the Meze 99 Classics. Other good options that fit your criteria could be the Denon ah-d5200, E-mu Teak, and Kennerton Magni - though these may need a pad swap to avoid a little brightness. You could also consider the Beyerdynamic T5 3rd generation.

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #11,490 of 12,279
Yes, you should consider the Meze 99 Classics. Other good options that fit your criteria could be the Denon ah-d5200, E-mu Teak, and Kennerton Magni - though these may need a pad swap to avoid a little brightness. You could also consider the Beyerdynamic T5 3rd generation.
E-MU Teak! Good suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back