Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 24, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #10,141 of 12,314
Ordered the Grado Hemp. Seems like they never do sales, and as of now it's a limited run, and something different.

Be easier to pick up the m1570 used or open box later than the Hemp if they
quit selling the Hemp. I'd still like some monstrous planars

Thanks. I guess. Still feel like i got rinsed paying that much for Grados. But if they're really like PortaPros on steroids I think I'll like them. Mostly worried about comfort, lot of complaints about the pads.

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #10,143 of 12,314
Ordered the Grado Hemp. Seems like they never do sales, and as of now it's a limited run, and something different.

Be easier to pick up the m1570 used or open box later than the Hemp if they
quit selling the Hemp. I'd still like some monstrous planars

Thanks. I guess. Still feel like i got rinsed paying that much for Grados. But if they're really like PortaPros on steroids I think I'll like them. Mostly worried about comfort, lot of complaints about the pads.

Welcome to the club and sorry for your wallet :wink:

They are like PortaPros on steroids trust me. For the comfort, you will probably need to stretch the headband a little bit and the pads will not be very comfortable in the beginning, as it's always the case with new Grado pads.

If you want a good cheap amp to drive them, I highly recommend the Cavalli Liquid Spark with the Hemp.

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #10,144 of 12,314
If you want a good cheap amp to drive them, I highly recommend the Cavalli Liquid Spark with the Hemp.
They don't look particularly hard to drive. 38ohms, 98db. Kind of wish they were, i have the LG G7 and those don't switch to high impedance mode until around 50ohms. Why i was looking at the m1570.

I already have the JDS Atom, MOTU M4. Still need a OTL at some point, but planars are next.

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #10,145 of 12,314

They are like PortaPros on steroids trust me. For the comfort, you will probably need to stretch the headband a little bit and the pads will not be very comfortable in the beginning, as it's always the case with new Grado pads.

I have a Liquid Spark but I'm worried about hating those Grado pads. Hmmm.

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #10,147 of 12,314
They don't look particularly hard to drive. 38ohms, 98db. Kind of wish they were, i have the LG G7 and those don't switch to high impedance mode until around 50ohms. Why i was looking at the m1570.

I already have the JDS Atom, MOTU M4. Still need a OTL at some point, but planars are next.

They are easy to drive, but they will scale with better equipment. Another amp that I always recommend for Grado headphones is the Schiit Asgard 2. It's also a very good amp for planar headphones. The Asgard 2 is still available from Schiit for $119. https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #10,148 of 12,314
They are easy to drive, but they will scale with better equipment. Another amp that I always recommend for Grado headphones is the Schiit Asgard 2. It's also a very good amp for planar headphones. The Asgard 2 is still available from Schiit for $119. https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks
I've compared the Atom to a friend's Schiit solid state amps using the 6XX and could not hear a difference. OTL darkvoice and my vintage receiver I could, but not SS.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #10,150 of 12,314
6XX - great for everything BUT metal. Just too slow for anything fast, but my god did they sound good for old analog recordings off my vintage receiver, might need to get a pair again for non-metal

Yes, my opinion is exactly the same.

Grado Hemp
Cannot you try the cheapest Grado SR60e and listen to the "Grado sound"? To decide you like it or not?

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #10,151 of 12,314
Need a metal headbanger to confirm this @crinacle says that Final D8000 are "bright". Is that correct?
1608975713670.png

https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #10,152 of 12,314
Yes, my opinion is exactly the same.

Grado Hemp
Cannot you try the cheapest Grado SR60e and listen to the "Grado sound"? To decide you like it or not?
I've heard the 80e and it was OK, i preferred the dt770 because it has bass, although a little too much. I'm more worried about pad comfort because I've never had any on my head for more than 30 minutes

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #10,155 of 12,314
My bad, i misread that. Please ignore me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back