Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #8,881 of 12,302
The SR-009 with a top tier amp is like a much better version of the HE-6 in my opinion. Both mostly neutral but with some treble emphasis, but the SR-009 is much faster, more transparent and revealing, much better sound stage and imaging, harder hitting and tighter bass, much cleaner mids and especially treble, etc. If you were to take the HE-6 and make every sonic attribute 150% better then you'd have the SR-009.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #8,882 of 12,302
My pleasure. You have an informative profile, BTW. Helps people to understand what you've tried and like.

When the Utopia launched, I was very interested in them due to the Focal technology.
If I ever go 2-channel, I will check out their loudspeakers for sure.

I am a big fan of HD800, even for some metal music. They have a brighter sound, so my complement is the LCD-4. I love the Audez'e house sound for bass.
I've been able to "tune" the HD800 via upstream software changes to where they now have great bass and mids/treble for symphonic metal.

I had been through an introduction to metal music by Head-Fi expert @Zyklonius a few years ago...very helpful to understand all the metal genres.
And, recently "discovered" Opeth - a great band - and also Ministry industrial metal and the work of Al Jourgensen - fascinating stuff.
Those genres sound good on the HD800 but really great on the LCD-4.

Best -
RCB

Thx, I never tried the HD800 but I did a review on the HD800S version.
Like you said, in some metal genres (also rock), it is quite good.

Something like Ayreon and Devil Doll sounds good on it.

I always like the Audeze house sound and have auditioned so many times, its always down to the weight and comfort that I never ended up buying them.
I strongly prefer The Utopia to the LCD-4 in sound and comfort.

The problem for them is that ZMF is getting really really good, I always found that the 2 has similarities going to the LCD-3 level, but the former has better value for me but not available for audition outside US yet.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #8,883 of 12,302
ZMF makes some very interesting products, they are getting great reviews all over Head-Fi.

For me, Audez'e solved the weight problem with the carbon fibre headband, a huge improvement.
They are still heavy, good exercise for the neck muscles. :)

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #8,884 of 12,302
There’s some weird damping stuff going on with Atticus. It sounds much, much different through an OTL. I can’t think of an amp I’d want to pair it with less than the GS-X Mk2, which is the solid statiest solid state of all solid states.

"the solid statiest solid state of all solid states"

omigod that is hysterical!

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #8,885 of 12,302
Susvara! Nice - interesting technology there, building on the HE-6 legacy. Cool you own both.
I have read about some build-issues with Susvara - did you have any trouble with that?
BTW, how do you like the Auralic Vega DAC?

I had a chance to borrow the abyss but decided to decline.
I was afraid I would really like them, you know what happens then...home equity loan. :)

Actually i have no issue with susvara ... unless in hot summer ... it's not a really fresh can ... actually i listen to the 600hd ... that's the only headphone that is good when is very hot... susvara is near 100hours of playtime , i let it play 10 hours a day , I'll listen to it accuratly when its 150 hours , by the way it's sound quality is increasing as long as it's playing

I like vega very much increadible build quality and the femto clock makes the difference from other dacs ... i paid it 1600€ used (vega G2 release makes old Vega price fall)... it has been designed in a wonderful way , every particular is great. Sounds fast , musical detailed but not analytical ...

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #8,886 of 12,302
I have been listening to my new Auteurs yesterday and today and trying to decide will I keep these or not.

Even with Auteur pads and Teak cups these appear to me as being overly warm, but that is just because I've been used to brighter cans. Yes, the warmness has an advantage: you can listen to these for hours, but the leather headpad starts to hurt my head after one hour of listening.

I wouldn't call these engaging but that is just me. In fast paced songs, these appear to be somewhat mushy sounding. Part of the problem is also that many of these songs are recorded to sound warm. But still I like how organic Auteurs sound.

Build quality and ergnomics (other than the headpad) are excellent. I haven't seen anything better, ever, in headphones.

Maybe a little EQ would help, a little boost around 5 kHz? Or then a brighter sounding DAC/AMP.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #8,887 of 12,302
Build quality of my auteur is not is stellar, but is acceptable

As I said auteur are on the warm side probably you will like more hifiman he6 560 sundara or even Ananda that are colder.

Before judging make auteur play 100 hours

It's a great headfone I'm my collection only susvara overcome it

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #8,888 of 12,302
I have been listening to my new Auteurs yesterday and today and trying to decide will I keep these or not.

Even with Auteur pads and Teak cups these appear to me as being overly warm, but that is just because I've been used to brighter cans. Yes, the warmness has an advantage: you can listen to these for hours, but the leather headpad starts to hurt my head after one hour of listening.

I wouldn't call these engaging but that is just me. In fast paced songs, these appear to be somewhat mushy sounding. Part of the problem is also that many of these songs are recorded to sound warm. But still I like how organic Auteurs sound.

Build quality and ergnomics (other than the headpad) are excellent. I haven't seen anything better, ever, in headphones.

Maybe a little EQ would help, a little boost around 5 kHz? Or then a brighter sounding DAC/AMP.

I agree with @Johnny1982xyz that you should let them burn in a bit. I’ve burned in four sets of those drivers, and the quickest way to do it is to plug them in and leave them playing for a week straight, changing the volume maybe once or twice a day. The most noticeable differences will happen over about 3 days or so, but you will notice some additional refinement and tightness over the next 3-4 days.

The sound will definitely tighten up a bit with burn in though, I wouldn’t sweat that part until you have some hours on them.

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #8,889 of 12,302

What dac/amp are you using with your auteurs?
I find that for metal, my auteurs sound great out of my Jotunheim which is known to be a brighter amp.
Also, burn in time is needed for the auteurs, as the others have mentioned.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #8,890 of 12,302
What dac/amp are you using with your auteurs?
I find that for metal, my auteurs sound great out of my Jotunheim which is known to be a brighter amp.
Also, burn in time is needed for the auteurs, as the others have mentioned.

I use Beresford Caiman MKII. It is more of a mid-fi DAC+AMP combo but is capable of driving cans with higher impedance also. I don't consider it being either warm or bright.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #8,891 of 12,302
Auter better source and better amp makes them sings better as they are very good cans , but they are a very good listening also from Dragonfly RED directly ,everytime i listen to the DF red i think how they can put so much audio quality inside a USB stick ...

i compared the auteur in Headamp gilmore (neutral amp) and V281 in s, e, (so like a v200 , a slightly warm amp) I preferred them from my v281 in s,e, (s.e. only for this test , usually i make them run balanced)

but i like a slightly warm sound ...

importan thing burn - in it is very important for cans ,,, my susvara for example out of the box was quite bad ... far from what I listened in the listening room ... now near at 120 hours i'm starting to hear the magic that this can is capable ... and still it has the terrible stock cable ... that is quite offensive in a 6000€ cans ... first rainy day i'll forge the new Neotech OCC silver and a Duelund tinned copper cables for susvy.

for auteur i made a Neotech occ awg 26 solid core copper cable that makes it sing a bit better than stock cable ... as it's 300ohm also AWG28 or even 30 could be good (more flexible) solid core usulaay increses details over the multistrand ... especially certified OCC copper like Neotech... who got an Auteur should think to a better cable than the stock one ... the difference is quite evident

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #8,892 of 12,302
As in my holidays i'm everyday sunbathing on the beach ... my actual mobile setup is
honor 9 , usb audio player pro app , 128GB samsung SD with mixed flacs and acc 256kbps files
dragonfly black and ES100 earbuds

i love earbuds and i dislike in ear as they are very unconfortable to me.

ES100 can't play directly from the smartphone with their 150Ohm impedence. They are very bright sounding , coupled with the slightly warm dragonfly black I had ah incredible result ... it reminds me a lot the 400i sound ... and i'm on a ultra mobile setup ... very good for fast metal ... still bright sounding but not harsh ...

take in mind DF black + ES100 couple ... very well sounding ... ES100 if correctly coupled sounds great ... not correctly matched , sounds harsh and aseptic ...

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #8,895 of 12,302
I resold my Auteurs and went for Clears. These are exactly what I was looking for. I tested these earlier with my phone in store and that just didn't do justice to these.
Phone do not justice to anything..

Auteur may be too warm for you...

Never listened to a focal can..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back