Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 3, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #7,741 of 12,302
Imagine going to a heavy metal concert without hearing the drums or bass guitar :)

I think it's much more important to find the right signature than the right headphones for metal music. This is a very subjective hobby, some can't stand too much bass, some can't live without it. Some like a bright signature others prefer a warmer signature, which one is best for metal music?

It took me a while to come to this conclusion, not to mention money :)

It doesn't make any sense to say, you don't need bass for heavy metal, I do and I can't live without bass. How "much" is impossible to say, my brain decides that. I have heard headphones/iems with too much bass quantity for me, on the other hand the Sony Z1R has the perfect amount of bass for me.

I prefer a slightly warm signature, but don't mind a brighter treble as long as the mids/upper mids are warmer. I have the Beyer Amiron and the DT 1990. I think technically the DT 1990 is the best for metal music, but I prefer the Amiron because of warmer mids, the brighter treble doesn't bother me.

Again this is a very subjective hobby, the best headphones for metal are not necessarily the best headphones for me/you.

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #7,742 of 12,302
No worries man, I'm here to help out!

By all rights planars and electrostatics should last longer than dynamics. The problem is the two biggest names in the planar game, Hifiman and Audeze, are notorious for cutting corners when it comes to build quality. Thus, why Hifimans and Audezes have a higher than average fail rate. MrSpeakers headphones generally have a much better build quality because Dan Clark really values your money and his rep... I'm sure some of that probably comes from his background as a modder and community member.

The ÆON hasn't really been around long enough to gauge a failure rate, but I reviewed it and had hands on it for a month and it seems like it would be much harder to break than a Hifiman or Audeze headphone, which have many exposed vulnerabilities.

Vs. the HD600, I would say they both have a pretty flat signature and a similarly sized soundstage. ÆON definitely has better bass and better bass extension. ÆON also has less grain in the treble. I'm not sure what cable or amp you have with the HD600, but if it is the stock cable, the ÆON will be lass harsh sounding and more musical. If you have a good cable on your HD600 (like Cardas Fatpipe, Black Dragon, etc.) they will be similarly musical and forgiving. Same goes for little nuances in the music - HD600 with a good cable on a good amp will be similar to ÆON. With a stock cable and medium quality amp, HD600 will be a bit more congested relative to the ÆON and won't sound quite as detailed. Both have nice energetic mids that are good for rock, metal, EDM, etc.

Comparing the Sonys is harder because they are so different. The Sony is way bassier and has more relaxed mids. Not sure how staging compares from memory. Treble is just different, I don't know how to compare them. The Sony will sound very colored coming from the HD600 - not sure how you will like it. IMO, it's a great sounding headphone - I personally like it, but I can't tell if you will like it or not. I'm much more confident recommending the ÆON based on your request for something that's relatively similar in tuning to the HD600, but closed. Make sense?
Thanks man!

I'm running my HD600 thru a Benchmark DAC1 PRE with high-gain setting and stock cable. Really like the sound. I could do with more bass but otherwise it's perfect.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #7,743 of 12,302
Thanks man!

I'm running my HD600 thru a Benchmark DAC1 PRE with high-gain setting and stock cable. Really like the sound. I could do with more bass but otherwise it's perfect.

In that case, I think you'll be very pleased. You'll get a little bit of extra refinement, better bass and a bit better dimensionality from the ÆON. I haven't heard it through that setup specifically, but I'm pretty sure the ÆON would sound noticeably better overall.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #7,744 of 12,302
In that case, I think you'll be very pleased. You'll get a little bit of extra refinement, better bass and a bit better dimensionality from the ÆON. I haven't heard it through that setup specifically, but I'm pretty sure the ÆON would sound noticeably better overall.
I was looking over measurements for both AEON and Ether C Flow. Seems like the Aeon have a tad less bass (about 2-db) and somewhat recessed treble compared to the Flow. The somewhat recessed treble might be a good thing for the more extreme genres of metal. I also see a mild 6k spike on the Flow which is not there on the Aeon.

The funny thing is the regular Ether C seem to measure better (not as spiky) except for lacking 4-db bass or so from the Flow. So i guess the presentation on the Ether C would be a bit light in comparison to both Flow and Aeons, with Aeons being a tad darker overall.

Does this sound reasonable?

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #7,745 of 12,302
I was looking over measurements for both AEON and Ether C Flow. Seems like the Aeon have a tad less bass (about 2-db) and somewhat recessed treble compared to the Flow. The somewhat recessed treble might be a good thing for the more extreme genres of metal. I also see a mild 6k spike on the Flow which is not there on the Aeon.

The funny thing is the regular Ether C seem to measure better (not as spiky) except for lacking 4-db bass or so from the Flow. So i guess the presentation on the Ether C would be a bit light in comparison to both Flow and Aeons, with Aeons being a tad darker overall.

Does this sound reasonable?

That's about right. I would say the ÆON comes across as bassier than the C Flow, as there is a bit more midbass, so the entire region sounds more filled out. The C Flow has a bit larger stage, more depth layering and more detail, but it's not a world of difference and you have to have a good enough source to really reveal it anyway. Nevertheless, IMO, the ETHER-C and C Flow aren't very good headphones for metal because they aren't very visceral sounding - bass impact is pretty weak, but there is some good subbass rumble that makes them a good fit for some EDM. The open ETHER and the ÆON are both much better for metal. And if you're one of those people that happens to enjoy both metal and EDM, the ÆON is definitely the best choice, as it is well matched to both genres. As all-rounders go ÆON is very tough to beat - it does everything and it does it at a very reasonable price.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #7,746 of 12,302
guys, have any of you have any experience comparing the schiit gear and Violectric Gear?

I decided to spent some money on my set up rather than getting the Utopia.

there are some post noting that Schiitgears are a biit too bright on metal.

I'm currentyly interested in the schiit gumby and V280/281 combination to pair my Z1R.
upgrading from mojo -> LC combo.

I know I need to audition to see how big of an improvement its is compared to my current set up now, but some things like fatigueing in long listening hours is hard to detect on short listening sessions.

for metal listening of course! ^_^
Other genre almoest does not matter to me much atm.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #7,747 of 12,302
Schiit dacs are most certainly not bright. A few of their amps may be a bit forward (can be a bit glaring depending on headphones used, but of course pair wonderfully with the right headphone).

If your looking for a DAC, honestly Schiit has mostly a monopoly on it right now. Their are other good options, but you'll spend considerably more for at best similar performance.

Unless you have a thing against Multibit or need to have it natively play complete nonsense like MQA.

If your spending the big bucks, definitely check out the Holo Springs or higher end Metrum stuff if money is no object.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #7,748 of 12,302
guys, have any of you have any experience comparing the schiit gear and Violectric Gear?

I decided to spent some money on my set up rather than getting the Utopia.

there are some post noting that Schiitgears are a biit too bright on metal.

I'm currentyly interested in the schiit gumby and V280/281 combination to pair my Z1R.
upgrading from mojo -> LC combo.

I know I need to audition to see how big of an improvement its is compared to my current set up now, but some things like fatigueing in long listening hours is hard to detect on short listening sessions.

for metal listening of course! ^_^
Other genre almoest does not matter to me much atm.

The Utopia will make a lot more difference in your setup than a shift to the Gumby and V280.

You could also get a nice First Watt speaker amp and an HE-6 for that price.

I can definitely get behind Gumby as a good DAC choice. I'm not a fan of any of the Vioelectric stuff, TBH. IMO, if you're looking at the V280, you should probably be looking at the Wells Milo instead. It's a lot more dynamically open sounding. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #7,749 of 12,302
Hello ladies and gents. I'm new to this site, hopefully it's alright if I post here. I typically listen to deathcore/metalcore/hardcore/melodic hardcore/post hardcore. I've been using Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros for a little over a year now, and I'm ready to upgrade. I'd like to grab myself a pair of closed and open backs this time around. I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, but I do like some bass (sorry, not sure how else to word this). There's one thing making it hard for me to decide on certain pairs of headphones, and that is fit/comfort. I've grown very used to the strong clamp of the Beyerdynamics. For instance, I tried a pair of Fidelio X2s last year, and when I would look around/look down too fast, they felt like they would almost fall off my head. This was irritating enough for me to promptly return them, although I'm going to try to be a bit more open minded to change this time around, but alas, something with a secure fit is definitely preferred. And lastly, my budget is around $500 per headphone. If you have any recommendations for me, I would appreciate it!

Edit - Source is currently a modi2uber/magni2, and I don't need anything portable.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7,750 of 12,302
Hello ladies and gents. I'm new to this site, hopefully it's alright if I post here. I typically listen to deathcore/metalcore/hardcore/melodic hardcore/post hardcore. I've been using Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros for a little over a year now, and I'm ready to upgrade. I'd like to grab myself a pair of closed and open backs this time around. I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, but I do like some bass (sorry, not sure how else to word this). There's one thing making it hard for me to decide on certain pairs of headphones, and that is fit/comfort. I've grown very used to the strong clamp of the Beyerdynamics. For instance, I tried a pair of Fidelio X2s last year, and when I would look around/look down too fast, they felt like they would almost fall off my head. This was irritating enough for me to promptly return them, although I'm going to try to be a bit more open minded to change this time around, but alas, something with a secure fit is definitely preferred. And lastly, my budget is around $500 per headphone. If you have any recommendations for me, I would appreciate it!

Edit - Source is currently a modi2uber/magni2, and I don't need anything portable.

Hard to say what you need there, maybe a Hifiman headphone or Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 if you want open back.

I heard Custom One Pro and there is nothing with a similar sound, but HD600 / HD650 is a general improvement in every way and they have strong clamping force. Many people love Hifiman headphones as well, but I have not tested them yet to be able to advice about them and metal.

EDIT::: Custom One Pro is quite bass heavy actually, at least compared to many open backs, you might be a bit of a basshead!

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #7,751 of 12,302
Hard to say what you need there, maybe a Hifiman headphone or Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 if you want open back.

I heard Custom One Pro and there is nothing with a similar sound, but HD600 / HD650 is a general improvement in every way and they have strong clamping force. Many people love Hifiman headphones as well, but I have not tested them yet to be able to advice about them and metal.

EDIT::: Custom One Pro is quite bass heavy actually, at least compared to many open backs, you might be a bit of a basshead!

Thanks for the reply! I did swap the stock pads for HM5 pleather pads, which lowered the bass quite a bit. I wish there was a place around here where I could try out headphones. I'd really like to give some Sennheisers a try, but I'm a bit afraid to throw money at them without being able to demo first, when you hear people talk about the "veil" they have, etc. Idk about being a basshead, I bought a pair of V-Moda M100's last year, and returned them as the bass completely drowned everything else out in my opinion.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #7,752 of 12,302
Thanks for the reply! I did swap the stock pads for HM5 pleather pads, which lowered the bass quite a bit. I wish there was a place around here where I could try out headphones. I'd really like to give some Sennheisers a try, but I'm a bit afraid to throw money at them without being able to demo first, when you hear people talk about the "veil" they have, etc. Idk about being a basshead, I bought a pair of V-Moda M100's last year, and returned them as the bass completely drowned everything else out in my opinion.

Since you're from USA, there are some great shops in there, you should try to see where is close to you or where they have what you want in the showroom.

Hm... Senn HD600 has absolutely no veil, that was a problem with HD5XX or lower, (4XX, old ie8, HD3xx HD2XX). All their top offerings are incredbile, starting with HD600. HD650 is different and I strongly prefer HD600 for metal given the better guitar tones and cymbals.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #7,753 of 12,302
TH900 will destroy any Beyer HP. ☺

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #7,755 of 12,302
The Utopia will make a lot more difference in your setup than a shift to the Gumby and V280.

You could also get a nice First Watt speaker amp and an HE-6 for that price.

I can definitely get behind Gumby as a good DAC choice. I'm not a fan of any of the Vioelectric stuff, TBH. IMO, if you're looking at the V280, you should probably be looking at the Wells Milo instead. It's a lot more dynamically open sounding. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

yes, you are absolutely right, however even if I buy the utopia now, I would still upgrade my source and amp in the future, it's just a matter of which comes first.
Timing constraint is a bit hard right now since I work all the time, and although I miss the sounds of open headphone, it will be hard for me to find a good place to use the utopia freely unless on weekends, so closed back is the best way to go for now.

As good as the mojo is, I'm quite sure that it will be outperformed by a good desktop DAC, I don't know how much it will improve, but surely it will.
I can just use the gumby with the LC for now and will probably be happy with it if I buy the gumby.

btw, care to share a bit on your impression on the v280, like you said one of the traits that lure me to that amp is the dynamic and smoothness as a lot of people say. but I have never heard much about the Wells Milo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back