Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,712 of 12,302
They looked pretty dinged up. Current market on HE-6 in good shape is about $850-900. Was that the reason for the low price? The description no longer appears. I just bought a pair in good shape for $950 with a bunch of accessories and love them!

May 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #7,713 of 12,302
Wow, barely up for 2 hours and sold. HFM should just bring these back. They are more popular now than they ever were when they were in production.

Then they wouldn't have an excuse to sell the Edition $6k anymore.

Wanted to reiterate based on my own experience with the HD800, as I see someone is still considering them. They can be fantastic with metal, but much care needs to be taken with your entire chain, or else it will sound terrible and not just with metal.

My 800S and Eikon is like the ultimate 1-2 punch combo on my setup right now, which took me quite some time to acquire and many rotations of trying other gear before I got it just right. Completely content now which is a rare feeling in this hobby sometimes.

May 30, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7,714 of 12,302
Then they wouldn't have an excuse to sell the Edition $6k anymore.

Wanted to reiterate based on my own experience with the HD800, as I see someone is still considering them. They can be fantastic with metal, but much care needs to be taken with your entire chain, or else it will sound terrible and not just with metal.

My 800S and Eikon is like the ultimate 1-2 punch combo on my setup right now, which took me quite some time to acquire and many rotations of trying other gear before I got it just right. Completely content now which is a rare feeling in this hobby sometimes.

Right? Lol.

Hey, so are you driving the Eikon with the Sonett 2? Good synergy? I'd love to hear any insights/observations, as I'm still passively in the market for a tube amp.

May 30, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #7,716 of 12,302
Wow, barely up for 2 hours and sold. HFM should just bring these back. They are more popular now than they ever were when they were in production.

They will...fancy new name and an 8000.00 price tag included

May 30, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #7,717 of 12,302
Right? Lol.

Hey, so are you driving the Eikon with the Sonett 2? Good synergy? I'd love to hear any insights/observations, as I'm still passively in the market for a tube amp.

Yes, I really like the combination. It's a little laid back, not as much so as an un-modded 650, but slightly laid back nonetheless. Rolling some more energetic tubes might be preferable. If budget constraints are not a concern I'd probably spring for a ZDS with an Eikon pairing in mind, but I prefer the 800 on DNA amps. Donald just really nails the slightly warm, but very clean and transparent sound.

May 31, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #7,718 of 12,302
Yes, I really like the combination. It's a little laid back, not as much so as an un-modded 650, but slightly laid back nonetheless. Rolling some more energetic tubes might be preferable. If budget constraints are not a concern I'd probably spring for a ZDS with an Eikon pairing in mind, but I prefer the 800 on DNA amps. Donald just really nails the slightly warm, but very clean and transparent sound.

ZDS is really nice, though in that range I might opt for a Stratus... tough call, I like them both a lot.

I'm a big fan of Donald's stuff, too. I've met him on a bunch of occasions at audio shows - cool guy, younger than I expected.

May 31, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #7,719 of 12,302
ZDS is really nice, though in that range I might opt for a Stratus... tough call, I like them both a lot.

I'm a big fan of Donald's stuff, too. I've met him on a bunch of occasions at audio shows - cool guy, younger than I expected.

Yea, he seems really easy to talk too, not just about his amps either. I would also buy a Stratus at that range as I prefer the DNA sound and since my 800 is a daily driver for me.

Edit: Just saw you post in the Glenn OTL sale ad. Good luck, Glenn makes some fantastic amps! Zach is also selling one of his Decaware amps for a fantastic price.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #7,720 of 12,302
I appreciate the help earlier on in the thread. After some thought, I do believe I will go for the Elear.
That said, are there any suggestions in here anyone could make for amping? Or is this better asked in the Elear thread itself? Figured Id ask here since quite a few folks seem familiar with those headphones

May 31, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #7,721 of 12,302
I appreciate the help earlier on in the thread. After some thought, I do believe I will go for the Elear.
That said, are there any suggestions in here anyone could make for amping? Or is this better asked in the Elear thread itself? Figured Id ask here since quite a few folks seem familiar with those headphones

Budget?

May 31, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #7,722 of 12,302
Yea, he seems really easy to talk too, not just about his amps either. I would also buy a Stratus at that range as I prefer the DNA sound and since my 800 is a daily driver for me.

Edit: Just saw you post in the Glenn OTL sale ad. Good luck, Glenn makes some fantastic amps! Zach is also selling one of his Decaware amps for a fantastic price.

Yeah, fingers crossed. I check the sale thread like 3x daily for one to show up, so hopefully this is my turn.

May 31, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #7,723 of 12,302

iFi iDSD Black Label. The only AMP I would really get to fit everything. I mean this literally, it is able to drive ie800, ie8 and HD800S in the same package!

I'm enjoying EN700 BASS from SIMGOT these days and made an experiment. Tested them on something else, then tested them on iDSD BL. Long story short, the difference was huge in soundstage depth, instrument texture, clarity, and general sound quality. Even if using iDSD as an AMP with another DAC, those differences are there, it is the one AMP to do all jobs I really recommend right now!

May 31, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #7,724 of 12,302
Yeah, fingers crossed. I check the sale thread like 3x daily for one to show up, so hopefully this is my turn.

I'm grabbing Zach's Decware :smile_phones: Looking forward to it! Should work great with my Atticus. We'll have to see about the HE-6. There are mixed reports. Good luck with the Glenn OTL!

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #7,725 of 12,302
I'm grabbing Zach's Decware :smile_phones: Looking forward to it! Should work great with my Atticus. We'll have to see about the HE-6. There are mixed reports. Good luck with the Glenn OTL!

Awesome! That's a nice amp. I've listened to it many times! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back