Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 20, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #6,496 of 12,295
LOL, none of my headphones are worth that much.

Ideally, I'd like to spend under $100 used. I have a bunch of tips.

I don't know if you will like them, but the Etymotic Research MK5's are like $60. They have the best passive isolation and almost refuse to come out of my ears. I use them under my motorcycle helmet every day for a 1-hour commute each way to/from work. The only downside to them is that they are super neutral. I have my iPod classic 160Gb EQ set to Rock, FiiO E17 gain to +12 and bass to +6. Without the boost they sound really thin. Other than that, they sound great.

However, I listen to metal, which is the reason I'm in this thread. If you listen to any EDM or other genre, they probably aren't good. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #6,497 of 12,295
  I don't know if you will like them, but the Etymotic Research MK5's are like $60. They have the best passive isolation and almost refuse to come out of my ears. I use them under my motorcycle helmet every day for a 1-hour commute each way to/from work. The only downside to them is that they are super neutral. I have my iPod classic 160Gb EQ set to Rock, FiiO E17 gain to +12 and bass to +6. Without the boost they sound really thin. Other than that, they sound great.

However, I listen to metal, which is the reason I'm in this thread. If you listen to any EDM or other genre, they probably aren't good. 

That sounds like a lot of EQ-ing. It's probably a little bass-light for me, but I'll check it out. I know Etymotic makes very nice iems.

Has anyone tried the new 1More iems that keep winning those awards? I'm concerned the $100 will be too muddy in the mid-bass for my liking. 

My favorite iem up to this point was the DUNU DN-2000J. That thing is sweet. It's just more than I want to pay right now. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #6,498 of 12,295

That sounds like a lot of EQ-ing. It's probably a little bass-light for me, but I'll check it out. I know Etymotic makes very nice iems.

Has anyone tried the new 1More iems that keep winning those awards? I'm concerned the $100 will be too muddy in the mid-bass for my liking. 

My favorite iem up to this point was the DUNU DN-2000J. That thing is sweet. It's just more than I want to pay right now. 

Those 1-More IEMs are pretty good. I listened to them at RMAF, but I can't remember if I liked them for metal. IIRC, I think one of my buddies has a pair, I'll see what he thinks. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #6,499 of 12,295
So tonite I was doing an A/B between my HE-500s and HE-6(both from speaker taps)and indeed speaker taps really bring out more from the 500s,but my HE6s are just in a different league and frankly I just dont think my 500s are going to be getting anymore headtime.
frown.gif

Ive decided to look into swapping them for a comparably priced headphone(450-500.00)......but what?

Looking for suggestions for complimentary headphones to what I already own(see signature)...if yall have any ideas kindly toss me your thoughts.

EDIT: Nevermind..........Carry On.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #6,500 of 12,295
HE-560 perhaps?  They seem to be going for around $500-550...

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #6,501 of 12,295
I've really enjoying my beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro with my new ifi Pro ICAN amp. You can often find it at a discount for around 500. It's the best I've heard for reference/critical listening, to the point where my Fostex TH-X00 is not getting much listening time anymore. I'd be tempted to trade those in for a DT 1770 Pro, since I loved my DT 770 Pro, but I think I might want to go for one of the new ZMF to fill the void left when I sold the LCD2 (their weight gave me headaches). 

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #6,502 of 12,295
  I've really enjoying my beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro with my new ifi Pro ICAN amp. You can often find it at a discount for around 500. It's the best I've heard for reference/critical listening, to the point where my Fostex TH-X00 is not getting much listening time anymore. I'd be tempted to trade those in for a DT 1770 Pro, since I loved my DT 770 Pro, but I think I might want to go for one of the new ZMF to fill the void left when I sold the LCD2 (their weight gave me headaches). 

I edited my post...I finally got around to doing the grille mod on the 500s and Im gonna do the HM5 pads on both.

The mids are just too good for me to give up...HE6 is very revealing and 500s are just fun,so as I said above...I lost my mind.

1770s are like 770s? I couldnt handle the highs on them.

Fostex...now those I'd like to hear some day.

LCDs dont bother me at all but I kick back in a recliner for listening,so the weight is a non issue for me. 

Speaking of listening I just finished listening to the Gygax album...guitars are awesome on the 500s!

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #6,503 of 12,295
  I edited my post...I finally got around to doing the grille mod on the 500s and Im gonna do the HM5 pads on both.

The mids are just too good for me to give up...HE6 is very revealing and 500s are just fun,so as I said above...I lost my mind.

1770s are like 770s? I couldnt handle the highs on them.

Fostex...now those I'd like to hear some day.

LCDs dont bother me at all but I kick back in a recliner for listening,so the weight is a non issue for me. 

Speaking of listening I just finished listening to the Gygax album...guitars are awesome on the 500s!

The he6 highs are fine but the dt770 is too much? Fostex has some grainy treble as well 

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #6,504 of 12,295
I never had an issue with the highs on the 770s, however I've read from others who have had problems with those up through the T1s have said the 1770s and 1990s correct those problems. But they are pretty different than what you have. People develop an affinity for a certain sound signature that may not be for everyone. Glad to hear Gygax getting some love. Yep, the former Gypsyhawk members named their band in tribute to the creator of D&D, heh.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #6,505 of 12,295
  The he6 highs are fine but the dt770 is too much? Fostex has some grainy treble as well 

the HE6s are bright,but not peaky bright,like the 770s....Fostex,grainy...didnt know that...just been told theyre one of the better bass slam+mids headphones out there

I never had an issue with the highs on the 770s, however I've read from others who have had problems with those up through the T1s have said the 1770s and 1990s correct those problems. But they are pretty different than what you have. People develop an affinity for a certain sound signature that may not be for everyone. Glad to hear Gygax getting some love. Yep, the former Gypsyhawk members named their band in tribute to the creator of D&D, heh.

I had the T1.1+WA2 and,yes they were bright,but not as harsh(to my ears) as the 770 

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #6,507 of 12,295
  the HE6s are bright,but not peaky bright,like the 770s....Fostex,grainy...didnt know that...just been told theyre one of the better bass slam+mids headphones out there

I had the T1.1+WA2 and,yes they were bright,but not as harsh(to my ears) as the 770 

Similar to beyerdynamic improving on the T1 treble with the 1770/1990, the TH-X00 was supposed to correct some issues with the high end that the TH-900 had. Funny thing, I have an old pair of Denon AH-D2000 at work that I probably have more listening time with than any other headphone. I haven't upgraded because I don't want to risk more expensive ones getting stolen from my desk, and also they're just so comfortable, like a pair of favorite shoes that you know are about to fall apart. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #6,508 of 12,295

I never heard the he6 myself but if the dt1770 is anything like the dt770, they are not that bright, more than neutral for shure though, less treble than the t1.1 by quite a fair bit. Not too different from the he560 treble
Fostex and mids are kind of like polar opposites, fostex is known for v shaped sound, bass yes, mids no.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #6,509 of 12,295
The DT1770 is a big step up from the 770 to my ears.  Much less V-shaped (though still "fun") and more well-balanced tonally.  It's also got much higher build quality and comes with other fun stuff like removable cable and an extra set of pads.  I saw one on the classified for $300 yesterday, which is a steal in my book...

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #6,510 of 12,295
So I've been listening to the TH600 at work, then my aurisonics IEMs on the train, and he6 at home. At work I miss the openness and midrange of he6, and at home I miss the bass quantity. I might be chasing a unicorn here, but is there any set out there that combines the soundstage and midrange or he6 with the bass (quantity) of fostex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back