Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6,526 of 12,295
So I'm probably going to sell my LCD-2fs for something else but I'm not sure what direction to head in. I'm keeping my LCD-2.2s (yeah I got both, a bit excessive) as they are unreal for certain kinds of hard rock and some very specific metal albums, as well as female vocals but I just find them too lacking in the treble department to really be good for metal (specifically mostly black metal, with a bit of thrash and crust/dbeat on the side). I've got an HE-6 as well which is also fantastic for certain recordings but with some stuff I dislike the presentation (usually this is with poorer recordings especially). Honestly my go to at the moment for a lot of my harder, rawer stuff are my old HD595s which are pretty awesome through my Lyr/upgraded tubes. One aspect I really like about them that I find I miss in the other (far more expensive) cans are how the guitar and whatever growling/screaming/yelling is absolutely at the forefront, always. With the HE-6 (again, only really an issue with poor recordings - which most of BM is) everything is a bit more "spread out". I've got way better soundstage but some of the energy is gone. 

Anyways, no idea what direction to go in. What I would want ideally is some of the high resolution sound of my HE-6s and LCDs while keeping the guitars at the absolute forefront. I really don't care about soundstage for the most part when it comes to black metal. I mean it's definitely a nice bonus when it's there, it's always cool to be able to place where the musicians are in the room, but not if it comes at the cost of the other things I'm looking for. Any ideas? 

Have you ever tried a grado can?

Good suggestion, and my 225i's handle most metal quite well. Especially guitars!

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #6,528 of 12,295

+1 for the 225.  (I have the 225e)

Good suggestion, and my 225i's handle most metal quite well. Especially guitars!

There's a pair available here : http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649328060-akg-240-sextett-600-omh-austria-made/

To OP

If youre interested in sextetts,feel free to PM me before buying...it can be a bit tricky getting the right pair for metal.

I have 3 Grado headphones in my household and while I do like them theyre not as aggressive as the sextetts in the guitar presentation.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #6,529 of 12,295

They are available in Canada ? $3000 ?

Edit : they are out of stock @ Bay Bloor 

You're right. I was hoping to stop by at Bay-Bloor since it's on my way to work, didn't realize they're out of stock/not in stock yet. May be I will give them a call and see what's going on. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #6,530 of 12,295
  You're right. I was hoping to stop by at Bay-Bloor since it's on my way to work, didn't realize they're out of stock/not in stock yet. May be I will give them a call and see what's going on. 

Yes but maybe they have a demo in store ?

I was interested by the Z1R but the price is ridiculous.  I went with the ZMF Atticus instead.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,531 of 12,295

Yes but maybe they have a demo in store ?

I was interested by the Z1R but the price is ridiculous.  I went with the ZMF Atticus instead.

Wait....huh? Did you get them yet?

Thoughts?

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,532 of 12,295
  So I'm probably going to sell my LCD-2fs for something else but I'm not sure what direction to head in. I'm keeping my LCD-2.2s (yeah I got both, a bit excessive) as they are unreal for certain kinds of hard rock and some very specific metal albums, as well as female vocals but I just find them too lacking in the treble department to really be good for metal (specifically mostly black metal, with a bit of thrash and crust/dbeat on the side). I've got an HE-6 as well which is also fantastic for certain recordings but with some stuff I dislike the presentation (usually this is with poorer recordings especially). Honestly my go to at the moment for a lot of my harder, rawer stuff are my old HD595s which are pretty awesome through my Lyr/upgraded tubes. One aspect I really like about them that I find I miss in the other (far more expensive) cans are how the guitar and whatever growling/screaming/yelling is absolutely at the forefront, always. With the HE-6 (again, only really an issue with poor recordings - which most of BM is) everything is a bit more "spread out". I've got way better soundstage but some of the energy is gone. 

Anyways, no idea what direction to go in. What I would want ideally is some of the high resolution sound of my HE-6s and LCDs while keeping the guitars at the absolute forefront. I really don't care about soundstage for the most part when it comes to black metal. I mean it's definitely a nice bonus when it's there, it's always cool to be able to place where the musicians are in the room, but not if it comes at the cost of the other things I'm looking for. Any ideas? 

I'd suggest trying the LCD-X.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #6,535 of 12,295
Have you ever tried a grado can?

I actually have a pair of SR325i which are awesome for punk, but not enough low end for metal. I've been too scared to listen to them through my Lyr though (I don't have a low impendance amp) so I haven't been able to really explore the sound so to speak. Waiting to make these sales on this gear before buying a more suitable amp.

I would suggest an AKG K240 sextett.Nothing beats its ability to bring guitars forward! Yes theyre old,and you need to buy used,but one can be had for under 140.00.

The easiest part is you dont like em theyre easy to resell due to its rareness. 

Hmm thanks I'll check em out! What am I looking at amp-wise?

Also -- side question, am I going to have an issue with guitars not being sufficiently forward with basically any high end can? Should I be looking exclusively at mid-fi and down?

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #6,536 of 12,295
  I actually have a pair of SR325i which are awesome for punk, but not enough low end for metal.

Also -- side question, am I going to have an issue with guitars not being sufficiently forward with basically any high end can? Should I be looking exclusively at mid-fi and down?

I feel like we are looking for the same cans haha, I want guitars to be forward AND plenty of bass. Hard to find both. This is why I keep going back to the HE6, just with there was a little more low-end oomph...

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #6,537 of 12,295
  I actually have a pair of SR325i which are awesome for punk, but not enough low end for metal.

Im prolly the wrong guy to ask about amps,as I use vintage receivers to drive my headphones.From headphone jack of Sansui 881,I get to about 9-10pm on volume before it blows my eardrums...From my Magni Uber 2 it sounds decent but nothing special.

Theyre 600ohms,90 sensitivity.

I have the HE6,HE500 and LCD2.2 pf and my early & mid production sextetts are still my go to metal headphones.Late production is too bass light for my tastes. 

EDIT: I should add that the EP and MP both have plenty of midbass,lots of thump,but if youre looking for copious sub-bass,the sextetts have very little.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #6,538 of 12,295
  I feel like we are looking for the same cans haha, I want guitars to be forward AND plenty of bass. Hard to find both. This is why I keep going back to the HE6, just with there was a little more low-end oomph...

Yes exactly! 

Im prolly the wrong guy to ask about amps,as I use vintage receivers to drive my headphones.From headphone jack of Sansui 881,I get to about 9-10pm on volume before it blows my eardrums...From my Magni Uber 2 it sounds decent but nothing special.

Theyre 600ohms,90 sensitivity.

I have the HE6,HE500 and LCD2.2 pf and my early & mid production sextetts are still my go to metal headphones.Late production is too bass light for my tastes. 

EDIT: I should add that the EP and MP both have plenty of midbass,lots of thump,but if youre looking for copious sub-bass,the sextetts have very little.

Ok well sounds like you know exactly where I'm coming from then so I will definitely be grabbing a pair of those sextetts. PM-ed you.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #6,539 of 12,295
  Yes exactly! 

Ok well sounds like you know exactly where I'm coming from then so I will definitely be grabbing a pair of those sextetts. PM-ed you.

Now you all have me wanting to get a pair. I was supposed to be just fine with my HE-6, TH-X00 EB, and HD 6XX. Stop it head-fi!

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6,540 of 12,295

Have you tried the first gen Ether open?  Forward mids and a nice mid-bass bump make it a rock and metal monster.  @Hansotek and I spent a lot of time remarking on how good it was for those genres compared to some other headphones we had on hand the last time we hung out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back