Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 18, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #6,482 of 12,295

I actually think the video on this page does a better job of explaining it than I can: http://danacables.com/test-results-from-rmaf-2013/

I don't know how much you know about square wave response, but it might be helpful to read this article first, before watching the video: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-square-wave-response#Hqc7FHZTyJMaXcRW.97

Pay particular attention to the explanation of this graphic:

In the video, Dana uses a simple test with a ping-pong ball and a speaker cone to illustrate the differences a cable can make. It is some pretty darn interesting science, and you can visually see the difference between cables in square wave response.

I think that should provide a great baseline understanding.

Cable makers are really beginning to understand that there is a need to educate the market on their goods. As I understand it, WireWorld is working on a pretty cool "cable polygraph test", which is aimed at helping people see and hear the difference between cables. It will be interesting to see how this all evolves in the next couple of years.

Let me know if this stuff is helpful.
beerchug.gif

Really interesting info, thanks!  

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,483 of 12,295
Hi everyone! I am new around here and I'd appreciate some advice about headphones. I'm looking for low impedance open-back headphones to listen to metal (folk metal mainly) for about 250 euros. I usually listen to Finntroll, Amon Amarth, Eluveitie and some other melodic dark stuff. I thought the SR325 were a good option (I can get them for 230 euros) until I saw the first post of the thread. Any suggestions in that price point or a bit higher? Thank you in advance.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #6,484 of 12,295
Hi everyone! I am new around here and I'd appreciate some advice about headphones. I'm looking for low impendance open-back headphones to listen to metal (folk metal mainly) for about 250 euros. I usually listen to Fintroll, Amon Amarth, Eluveitie and some other melodic dark stuff. I thought the SR325 were a good option (I can get them for 230 euros) until I saw the first post of the thread. Any suggestions in that price point or a bit higher? Thank you in advance.

Hey, welcome to the thread! I don't know if it's a happy coincidence or if you really did your homework, but I think Grados are awesome with those bands you mentioned, personally.

My Grados don't get a ton of head-time anymore (because I have way too many headphones), but I just went and dug out my SR-80's to confirm and they are still killer with that music, even after a steady diet of much pricier gear.

I assume you are talking about the SR325e ("e" is the newest version) - IMO that's the best of all the "Prestige Series" Grados. An excellent choice.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #6,485 of 12,295
My HE6 cable arrived today! Brandon hooked me up!I ordered a 3' HiFiMan connector to 4pin interconnect,and then and a 7 foot interconnect terminated in speaker wire.He included an adapter that I can use for balanced connection too.
smily_headphones1.gif

On to the sound of the HE6 via my 881.....

One word: Wow!

I was a bit concerned that my 881 wouldnt have the horses to drive these beasts....wrong.I cant get the volume past 10 o'clock before im blowing out my ears.The 881 is providing so much extra juice im now curious to see what my other two receivers can do....they will be back from the shop in ten days.

I know one member here was wondering if he needed to spend $$$ for a dedicated amp to drive them...the answer is no.Might there be better options out there?Probably,but Im quite satisfied,and bang for the buck, a vintage receiver cannot be beaten. 

The things I have been missing in music all this time!

Detail.
Mids.
Slam.
Separation.
Imaging.

These are a brand new,un-burned in,stock pair,and I can already say these are the best pair of headphones I have ever heard.

I do not find them to be sibilant,though theyre def bright,but not in a peaky way.

I tried all different types of music with them,from classic rock to metal to blues to deep trance and didnt find them to be lacking in any way. 

TL,DR

My best headphone journey is finished.
L3000.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #6,486 of 12,295
My HE6 cable arrived today! Brandon hooked me up!I ordered a 3' HiFiMan connector to 4pin interconnect,and then and a 7 foot interconnect terminated in speaker wire.He included an adapter that I can use for balanced connection too.:)

On to the sound of the HE6 via my 881.....

One word: Wow!

I was a bit concerned that my 881 wouldnt have the horses to drive these beasts....wrong.I cant get the volume past 10 o'clock before im blowing out my ears.The 881 is providing so much extra juice im now curious to see what my other two receivers can do....they will be back from the shop in ten days.

I know one member here was wondering if he needed to spend $$$ for a dedicated amp to drive them...the answer is no.Might there be better options out there?Probably,but Im quite satisfied,and bang for the buck, a vintage receiver cannot be beaten. 

The things I have been missing in music all this time!

Detail.

Mids.

Slam.

Separation.

Imaging.

These are a brand new,un-burned in,stock pair,and I can already say these are the best pair of headphones I have ever heard.

I do not find them to be sibilant,though theyre def bright,but not in a peaky way.

I tried all different types of music with them,from classic rock to metal to blues to deep trance and didnt find them to be lacking in any way. 

TL,DR

My best headphone journey is finished.:L3000:

That's awesome! Sansui FTW!!

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #6,487 of 12,295
That's awesome! Sansui FTW!!

...and thank you Hansotek for putting a boot up my rear to get out and find some HE6s and for hooking me up w/ Brandon...he took his sweet time,but he does really nice sounding and looking cables! They look and sound excellent!

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6,488 of 12,295
...and thank you Hansotek for putting a boot up my rear to get out and find some HE6s and for hooking me up w/ Brandon...he took his sweet time,but he does really nice sounding and looking cables! They look and sound excellent!

Any time, my friend. I'm glad you are happy with your new stuff!!

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #6,489 of 12,295
Hey, welcome to the thread! I don't know if it's a happy coincidence or if you really did your homework, but I think Grados are awesome with those bands you mentioned, personally.

My Grados don't get a ton of head-time anymore (because I have way too many headphones), but I just went and dug out my SR-80's to confirm and they are still killer with that music, even after a steady diet of much pricier gear.

I assume you are talking about the SR325e ("e" is the newest version) - IMO that's the best of all the "Prestige Series" Grados. An excellent choice.

Yes, I meant 325e. I really appreciate the advice, specially from someone who has a lot to compare to! Thank you!

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,491 of 12,295
Yes, I meant 325e. I really appreciate the advice, specially from someone who has a lot to compare to! Thank you!

My son only listens to metal and he loves his 80e...you should enjoy the 325e for metal

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #6,492 of 12,295
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,493 of 12,295
What do you guys use when working out?

I don't want to spend a lot on something like this, as I know it will get beat up pretty badly. Right now, I have the Xiaomi Piston 3 for this task, but I want something better, but isn't too expensive.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #6,494 of 12,295
What do you guys use when working out?

I don't want to spend a lot on something like this, as I know it will get beat up pretty badly. Right now, I have the Xiaomi Piston 3 for this task, but I want something better, but isn't too expensive.

I had a Piston 2 at one point, nice little IEM. Anyway, I've been using the Westone W60s at the gym, so I guess that doesn't help... How much are you looking to spend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back